Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:18 PM

126 posts, read 151,611 times

Advertisements

All you penny-pinching cheapskates should find alternate transportation to taxis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 10:16 PM

681 posts, read 2,803,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I know it costs more to rent a car in Las Vegas than in most other cities, but we rent cars when on vacation and pay way less than $400 - $500 a week.
Really? I've never rented a car more than $10/day everytime I've visited from the big rental car companies.

I use the following site:
Rental Cars and Discount Car Rentals | CarRentals.com

Usually the week before the trip is when I see the best deals for Vegas.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:24 PM

23,265 posts, read 29,118,234 times
The costs escalate when you take the Loss Waiver Damage, we're talking $20 per day, plus or minus. I wouldn't rent a car without it!

Old 04-28-2013, 10:58 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,439,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
Really? I've never rented a car more than $10/day everytime I've visited from the big rental car companies.

I use the following site:
Rental Cars and Discount Car Rentals | CarRentals.com

Usually the week before the trip is when I see the best deals for Vegas.
Yea, $10/day, plus tax and fees, total is around $16.5 per day. And if you rent it at airport location, add $3/day, now you are talking about $20/day.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:54 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,841,491 times
Quote:
I know it costs more to rent a car in Las Vegas than in most other cities, but we rent cars when on vacation and pay way less than $400 - $500 a week.
I spent $388 for two weeks during spring break when we were down there.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 AM

245 posts, read 504,870 times
Quote:
The daily rates in Vegas are usually cheap; it's the ridiculous amount of taxes & fees that drive the total cost way up. My rental last week for 3 days was at $9.13 a day on the car so that totaled $27.39, but the total all-in was $61.58 making it close to 130% in taxes & fees added on. $61.58 is still a great rate for a car for 3 days, but it would be so much lower if they didn't ********* with taxes and fees..I believe that Phoenix is over 100% in taxes/fees also.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,146,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The costs escalate when you take the Loss Waiver Damage, we're talking $20 per day, plus or minus. I wouldn't rent a car without it!
That damage waiver / insurance was useless when I needed it.Granted, this was thirty-plus years ago, but when I got hit in a rental car, took it back to the car rental agency and did all the paperwork, (it took a very long time) they ended up selling the "debt" to a collection agency, claiming that they had no documentation of the accident.

I remember writing them a letter that read in part: " I have been receiving these collection notices since I was nineteen years old. Will I still be receiving them when I reach menopause? You will see the Pope dance naked in Times Square before you see one dime of my money. If you think that you can convince a judge that I was allowed to return a damaged rental car without filling out the proper paperwork and providing the information of the driver that hit me- well, good luck with that."

They left me alone after that.

I think you are better off using an AMEX card to rent the car and let them do battle with the rental car agency if something goes amiss.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:51 PM

402 posts, read 746,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binionrat View Post
Thanks, good to know! It's going to be between $800 and $1000 to rent a car for 3 weeks when we're down from just after Christmas to mid-Jan if we rent a car so I think we can save some money doing the taxi/bus for at least part of that time.
Three weeks is a long time. When I did a recent extended stay, I cabbed to my initial destination and rented from a local Enterprise and avoided the airport escalations. It's worth pricing out.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:25 PM

611 posts, read 952,664 times
Thanks cowherjaw...When I'm down in August for 8 days where I'm paying Budget $200 (incl all fees and taxes) I will stop in at Enterprise near my condo and see if I can get a deal for our Christmas 3-weeks that is now showing at $754 cheapest with Advantage. I don't mind paying $'s for car rental, it's just that some days we don't even use the car and other days we drive it down Tropicana, park in MGM's garage, and then drive home in the evening...a total of abut 30 minutes...if that. I'll take that Enterprise estimate to Budget when I turn the car in at August to McCarran Rental Centre and ask them if they can meet or beat the residential-area Enterprise quote.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:43 PM

39 posts, read 62,952 times
Binionrat, check out the costco.com website. Our five day rental in mid-April was $71 all fees included, plus we ended up with a GTI...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas