Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Century Link vs Dish Vs Direct TV vs Cox
Century Link 4 7.84%
Dish 6 11.76%
Direct TV 23 45.10%
Cox 18 35.29%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 12:53 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,141,749 times

Advertisements

My son-in-law is a Direct TV tech/installer and tried to sell me the service - less channels than I already have and need a DVR for shows I'd otherwise miss.

Have Cox TV and internet and am pleased with both. I use On Demand a lot and would seriously miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,505 times
Could someone tell me why my post requesting information on 1 gig internet was moved, then deleted. And why was I banned?

Old 12-17-2013, 04:52 PM

32 posts, read 78,985 times
I don't typically use my account to the max when it comes to testing Cox's cap claims but I was curious at one point as it would have pissed me off badly if there was a cap due to what we pay. So I created a handful of large dummy files on a server (zip files packed with thousands of duplicate server logs) I host a bunch of sites on, selected all and downloaded them over the weekend. It was somewhere just under 1TB of data. It all came through and filled up my 1TB drive. I never heard anything about it and didn't notice my connection grow slower (speedtests showed the same). This was about a year or so ago. Only trouble I ran into was a little slowness to Windows as it didn't seem to like the files due to how large they were. Windows slowed down a tad while right clicking and viewing properties and deleting the files heh ^^

Old 12-18-2013, 09:58 AM

930 posts, read 1,820,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
someone buy the service, then actually measure it please.

They laid cable in my area for the service so I'm pretty sure its available (haven't called yet).

I would like to buy but my Cox connection is so reliable that I'd rather wait to see how things go with Centurylink. There are always problems with a new launch of anything until they get the bugs worked out. If I decided to go with it now, I'd have to run both services simultaneously just until I was convinced the Centurylink product was going to be as reliable. Speed doesn't matter if the connection is going to constantly go on and off due to whatever issues they might experience in the "test" neighborhoods.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:56 AM

371 posts, read 941,688 times
Free channels with OTA sounds good but I just realized I would like tivo/DVR, you can probably have something similar on a pc but I would like the comfort of the living room with a bigger tv. I guess I will pay for it! Cox sounds like best for internet and tv package. The download cap for cox bothers me a little bit, does the other 3 have download cap?!

So Aliante might get 1G soon too huh? very good news I might consider it if the feedback are good from people who have it! so far no one here got it I guess, maybe soon!

Old 12-21-2013, 07:40 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,145,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
They laid cable in my area for the service so I'm pretty sure its available (haven't called yet).

I would like to buy but my Cox connection is so reliable that I'd rather wait to see how things go with Centurylink. There are always problems with a new launch of anything until they get the bugs worked out. If I decided to go with it now, I'd have to run both services simultaneously just until I was convinced the Centurylink product was going to be as reliable. Speed doesn't matter if the connection is going to constantly go on and off due to whatever issues they might experience in the "test" neighborhoods.
Ah, smart. A good friend of mine (IT guy) said "Never be a pioneer. Pioneers are dead guys with arrows in their backs." I always eschewed that advice until I was a beta site for a new roll-out. Lesson learned.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:21 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,815,168 times
Transferred my Cox service to a new address, was promised that I would not get charged a $30 transfer fee (took a screenshot of the online chat)... I certainly did get charged

I was also told I would be charged $43/mo for FlexTV and internet, my last bill was over $180... Obviously I'm going to have a chat with them Monday morning, but I have no proof of that conversation.... I definitely am not getting $180 worth of services.... considering cancelling with Cox, though I suspect they'll try to charge me a ridiculously high cancellation fee... gotta love 'em

Old 12-21-2013, 12:35 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,796,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Transferred my Cox service to a new address, was promised that I would not get charged a $30 transfer fee (took a screenshot of the online chat)... I certainly did get charged

I was also told I would be charged $43/mo for FlexTV and internet, my last bill was over $180... Obviously I'm going to have a chat with them Monday morning, but I have no proof of that conversation.... I definitely am not getting $180 worth of services.... considering cancelling with Cox, though I suspect they'll try to charge me a ridiculously high cancellation fee... gotta love 'em
We had many problems getting Cox up and running at our place. Evidently the previous tenant had done some creative wiring. Internet is mission critical to my business, and ended up running for a couple of weeks using my cell phone hot spot as internet. Cox charged the whole time (including installation, etc that was supposed to be free). We had to call a couple of times, have a couple of trips out here by technicians, but in the end all charges were fixed and it works fine now.

Just call customer service, and if you don't get the answer you want, call again.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:47 AM

8,421 posts, read 4,590,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post

Cox online bills are the most difficult to unravel, impossible to reconcile messes that pass for statement I've ever seen. I recently transferred service as well and they billed me for a month (in the future) of service at the old address plus the new locations service. A phone call lasting about an hour got to bottom of it and I was credit the difference. Also, do yourself a favor, EITHER use their paper billing OR the online system. Otherwise you will be hopelessly confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas