Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 02:23 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times

Advertisements

They don't actually do it through salary reduction though, they just give them a raise which they never actually see in their check which goes to directly to the PERS contribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
So it's a misnomer to say that the employer pays 100% as if you read the explanation, under the ER Paid plan, even though the employer pays 100%, the employee still pays their share through salary reduction. If the employee did have a choice, it appears what the employer is saying then is "So listen here you underling teacher, you either pay PERS each payday and we will match, or we will pay for the entire cost and reduce your salary to the proper amount so you are paying half of the 100% we pay."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 03:04 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,028,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
They don't actually do it through salary reduction though, they just give them a raise which they never actually see in their check which goes to directly to the PERS contribution.
LOL, true, but isn't that essentially and for all practical purposes "salary reduction?"

Old 02-20-2013, 06:35 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Wondering if any teachers in CCSD can help me out here. I'm wondering what percent comes out of your paycheck each month that is automatically contributed towards PERS since this information is not readily available online.

CCSD advertises a 23.75% PERS contribution in their benefits. Do they pay all of the PERS contribution each month and nothing gets taken out of the salary? Do you contribute half (11.875%) and they match it? Or is it something completely different?
Here is the salary schedule with benefits:

http://ccsd.net/employees/resources/...d_benefits.pdf

CCSD pays the entire 23.75% .

I think this should answer your question.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 PM

That confirms it. Thanks, Everdeen. My apologies not only to you but to the rest of the respondents in this thread for not believing what you're saying.

I'm not the OP but was just curious. Now I know. And after reading some more on it, I see that the teachers are indirectly paying for their contribution by foregoing pay increases so in the end, I guess you can still consider that they are helping to pay for their benefit. In other words, they're not getting anything for free.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 PM

No thanks needed. I travel the internet nightly in search of CD problems to solve.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
That confirms it. Thanks, Everdeen. My apologies not only to you but to the rest of the respondents in this thread for not believing what you're saying.

I'm not the OP but was just curious. Now I know. And after reading some more on it, I see that the teachers are indirectly paying for their contribution by foregoing pay increases so in the end, I guess you can still consider that they are helping to pay for their benefit. In other words, they're not getting anything for free.
Please -

From the employer perspective nothing is ever free.

And, practically, the same is true of the employee...

TANSTAAFL

Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Please -

From the employer perspective nothing is ever free.

And, practically, the same is true of the employee...

TANSTAAFL
hmmm, well, again I apologize. I thought that was what I was implying.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:14 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
The bad thing about the PERS plan is that no Social Security is paid, and you are docked on Social Security if you are eligible at retirement.

Good if you stay with CCSD for years...many teachers retire with 90% pay in retirement.

No money is taken from teacher paychecks.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:44 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
They're not really "docked" SS, they just don't get what they didn't pay for.

Also, the maximum a teacher can get in retirement from PERS is 75% not 90%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The bad thing about the PERS plan is that no Social Security is paid, and you are docked on Social Security if you are eligible at retirement.

Good if you stay with CCSD for years...many teachers retire with 90% pay in retirement.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

I think that is only for teachers that were grandfathered in under the old plan. I don't think that has been available for new hires for quite a while. I could be wrong on that, so if you have a source, I would like to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas