Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 08:34 AM

62 posts, read 113,314 times

Advertisements

Could someone give me some info on filing taxes in the U.S. as a Canadian? This includes:
- links/name of forms/schedules I have to fill out
- what can be expense from rental property income
- is it better to declare my rental property as a business
- there is something about if I have to pay more than $1000 in taxes, I have to give quarterly estimates and payments next year. What is up with this?
- absolutely any other information, especially from Canadians that have done this before

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 01:17 PM

180 posts, read 391,759 times
Talk to your accountant in Can. as they may have someone in their office that has dealt with this. When I spoke with mine there are also depreciation issues that can be looked at. I was told that it isn't a wise thing to try and do it yourself.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:53 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NU2LV View Post
Talk to your accountant in Can. as they may have someone in their office that has dealt with this. When I spoke with mine there are also depreciation issues that can be looked at. I was told that it isn't a wise thing to try and do it yourself.
I agree.. I probably wouldn't look to an internet forum for tax advice that could have ramifications for the rest of your life. But perhaps someone has an accountant recommendation..

Old 02-05-2013, 02:30 PM

Found that you have to file Form 1040-NR along with Schedule E and another Form for the depreciation.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM

151 posts, read 299,439 times
Here is a link to The USA-Canada Tax treaty http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/canada.pdf This is a good starting point. You can look in the index and jump to the issue(s) you have. International taxation is a specialization within the tax industry.

Article 6 covers Income from Real Property.

Last edited by observer53; 02-06-2013 at 08:38 AM..

Old 02-06-2013, 11:31 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,807,980 times
You might also consider a US accountant. There are also some property managers that specialize in managing foreign accounts.

In general you want to take income through an LLC or such and avoid moving it out of the US except rarely and deliberately. The problem is that there are an arcane set of rules about withholding that can drive one batty. Basically your tenant is required by US law to withhold on any amount they sent out of country.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:18 PM

611 posts, read 951,531 times
I'm from Canada but do not rent my condo out so I can't help you with rental income. I file only to recover the 30% they take from me from slot/gambling holdbacks. At the end of the year I have to file U.S. income tax forms to do this. I have a ITIN from them (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) which is the Department of Treasury Internal Revenue Service number assigned to you if you are out of country and cannot and do not have a SSN. Whenever a SSN is requested on any U.S. federal income tax return or other Federal taxpayer, this number must be used. I would think this is your first step to obtain that number.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:54 PM

@binionrat - Yeah, I have a ITIN too and filled out a form so that my property manager does not take the 30% tax out of my rental income.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 PM

681 posts, read 2,801,273 times
I highly recommend seeing an enrolled agent here in the US. They are up to date on out of country tax treaties and have to be re-certified every year by the IRS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas