Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 05:08 PM

4 posts, read 6,741 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to the Henderson area this summer. We are looking at a place in Silverado Ranch. I'm just now sure about the schools. It's not Henderson (which we were originally looking at) but is really close. We will have kids in Elementary school and Jr. High (silvestri jr. high) and then Liberty High school.

I would love any and all feedback on the area and schools and if you think that area is a positive place for children.

Thank you in adavance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 07:22 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
It used to be a pretty good area. I am assuming it still is.

What do you want in a school?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:46 AM

Thank you for responding!!. I want a safe environment, I want my kids to feel safe while there and I want the teachers to be really invested in the kids and to help them excel.

So would you consider silverado ranch a move area? I'm really not familiar with it.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:44 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
They aren't "top" schools, but good and totally acceptable middle tier schools.

As for the Silverado Ranch area, it's also a nice middle tier area. IMO they don't have nearly the same park access that Anthem or Green Valley Ranch has, but it's a lot cheaper too.

As a whole I consider the Silverado Ranch area to be on the decline, but it's still nice.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:51 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Ok, now I have to ask.. why do you feel SR is on the decline? I only ask because it is one of the 4 neighborhoods we're considering for our move. Mountain's Edge, Anthem, and GVR being the other 3. I see that you do get more house in Silverado Ranch, but I'm curious as to how you came to the conclusion the area is declining. We will not have children with us as my stepdaughter is now 20 and will be in college there, not high school. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:04 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Elementary and Middle schools are relatively safe out here. It's the high schools that get a little tricky. But you can expect that from any high school in any city.

As far as a teacher being invested in their students, that depends on the parents. Straight from the mouth of a couple teachers I have met this year. "Its very difficult to put in twice as much work than what a parent will put in".

Go to the PTA meetings, volunteer if can, donate supplies if you can afford to, add your kid's teacher's email address to your smartphone for quick reference, allow your kids to stay after school to make copies, clean dry-erase board, grade papers...etc.

Even though its hard for two full time parents, we do everything above to help the teacher help us. Give and take. Last year we had a terrible third grade school year for my daughter. This year is the best so far.

My daughter's 4th grade teacher has 30-38 students at a time, it's her second year teaching, has bully issues in her class, 5 or more kids with English as their second language and always coming out of her own pocket for student supplies.

We definitely do everything to make her job easier. It pays in the long run. Any problem/issues she has with our daughter, we get an email or phone call that day. Other students get sent to the principals office or a letter sent home. Or maybe neither, since the school year is not that long...he or she will be someone else's problem next year.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 02-02-2013, 01:12 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies! I really cannot thank you enough for your opinions.

WestieJeff, I would love to know the reasons why you think SR is on the decline. Like I said, I do not live out there and really only know what I see from the internet. I would love to get your thoughts.

VON949, What school is your daughter at? Is it in the SR area?

Old 02-02-2013, 01:48 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggy1 View Post

VON949, What school is your daughter at? Is it in the SR area?
No, we are not anywhere near SR. We are way up north next to the pig farm.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 02-02-2013, 03:59 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
I'm in the Silverado Ranch area and I don't think it's in decline, but then again I don't have kids, so I don't know anything about the schools. One thing is for sure: property values have definitely gone up over the last year. I think the most dangerous thing about Silverado Ranch is being a pedestrian. People treat the streets like a freeway (sometimes literally going at freeway speeds!) and there are not a lot of crosswalks. Some people wear dark colors at night and jaywalk... something bad is going to happen sooner or later, watch.

Last edited by logline; 02-02-2013 at 05:25 PM..

Old 02-02-2013, 05:05 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
Just my subjective opinion. I've looked at homes in the area, they're getting older and they just don't seem to be as well kept up in general as some other areas. Many cars parked on the streets, which can be indicative of multiple families living together.

It seems most neighborhoods go through this in LV, nice at first and over time renters move in and multiple families move in and everything just looks worn.

Every neighborhood is unique and a lot is dependent on the HOA as well. Look at an area like Quail Terrace or Quail Summit, they were built in the 80's and look better than most new neighborhoods today.

Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Eagan View Post
Ok, now I have to ask.. why do you feel SR is on the decline? I only ask because it is one of the 4 neighborhoods we're considering for our move. Mountain's Edge, Anthem, and GVR being the other 3. I see that you do get more house in Silverado Ranch, but I'm curious as to how you came to the conclusion the area is declining. We will not have children with us as my stepdaughter is now 20 and will be in college there, not high school. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas