Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:46 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,107,174 times

Advertisements

Granted I was only there for 2 days/2 nights, but I was amazed at the contrast between the Vegas Strip and the downtown/city centre. Basically no skyline to speak of, it was more befitting of a city of 50,000 with no charm, and lots of really rundown looking areas. I was also robbed of $20 (well not robbed, but taken for) at a bus stop off the strip near downtown. I was only there because I had lost my camera and I was looking at it at the Fremont street experience.

I know the focus is on the strip, and that probably steals a lot of business, but for such a 'world class' destination as Las Vegas, why can't they do more to make downtown attractive? It felt so deserted and unwelcoming. Why not move some more establishments there, instead of having them all on the strip? Fremont St is pretty cool but there should be more. Maybe a bit more greenery, or at least desert vegetation, malls which are safe with surveillance, shopping centres, condos.etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 06:52 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,618,967 times
I like downtown. Almost every bit of Vegas history is gone from the strip. Downtown shows more history as to what Vegas used to be like.
In two days you can't even scratch the surface of what there is to offer on the strip or downtown.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,325,620 times
Also isn't there a concentrated effort by companies like Zappos to rejuvinate the downtown area?

In my trips to Vegas I love to spend a great deal of time downtown becuase of exactly what ToeJam said, the history. The Strip is fun and flashy and newer looking, but I love the older feel of downtown.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,136,984 times
ahhh yesssss Lets bash Las Vegas early in the morning.......

Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,136,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Granted I was only there for 2 days/2 nights, but I was amazed at the contrast between the Vegas Strip and the downtown/city centre. Basically no skyline to speak of, it was more befitting of a city of 50,000 with no charm, and lots of really rundown looking areas. I was also robbed of $20 (well not robbed, but taken for) at a bus stop off the strip near downtown. I was only there because I had lost my camera and I was looking at it at the Fremont street experience.

I know the focus is on the strip, and that probably steals a lot of business, but for such a 'world class' destination as Las Vegas, why can't they do more to make downtown attractive? It felt so deserted and unwelcoming. Why not move some more establishments there, instead of having them all on the strip? Fremont St is pretty cool but there should be more. Maybe a bit more greenery, or at least desert vegetation, malls which are safe with surveillance, shopping centres, condos.etc.
The strip is not in the city of Las Vegas. Downtown has been going through a resurgence and there are lots of exciting things going on down there. If it was deserted and you just got back, well, those record breaking cold temperatures might have had something to do with it.

Thanks for visiting.

Oh, and Have a Nice Day!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:52 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,449,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Every thread that expresses a negative impression is not "bashing". Other cities' forums have similar posts, they aren't "bashing" either.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,792,623 times
We just spent a week, split between Henderson and Fremont St. We love downtown! Over the past 6 or 7 years we've traveled to LV a dozen times, and are putting the details together for a move there in late August. Downtown has character! We love the history of the Golden Gate, Binions, LVC, etc. El Cortez is a tad sketchy even for us, but we're much more comfortable downtown than on the strip. I can't wait to explore more of the area, as, although 7 days was the longest we've stayed in one stretch, we didn't accomplish half of what we wanted.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:07 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,035,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
C'mon, this wasn't a typical anti-Vegas troll post. These are the legitimate views/questions of a foreign visitor to our city perhaps wondering why LV doesn't have a vibrant, skyscraper-laden downtown area typical of other major metropolises.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,166,664 times
If downtown was similar to the strip, what would be the point? Downtown Vegas is a much needed contrast to the Vegas strip.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 01-18-2013, 09:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,107,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The strip is not in the city of Las Vegas. Downtown has been going through a resurgence and there are lots of exciting things going on down there. If it was deserted and you just got back, well, those record breaking cold temperatures might have had something to do with it.

Thanks for visiting.

Oh, and Have a Nice Day!
I was there last June when it was about 41C/105F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: