Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:44 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,715,833 times

Advertisements

Everyone has their pro's and con's about moving to Las Vegas and they are entitled to their personal opinions from their experiences. My question for you is why did you move to the Las Vegas valley and why you wouldn't move here??

My take:

1) I moved here in 2003 from SF bay area (south bay). My main reason was the Bay Area doesn't have affordable housing for people that are considered the working class. The county I lived in (Santa Clara) is one of the most expensive housing markets and one of the highest in rent per sq. ft. Even though I worked 2 jobs (one with the city government and had my own businesss on the side) I still struggled to make ends meet. Plus when tax time came, I didn't have that nice mortgage interest to deduct.

2) My other main reason was my line of work. Las Vegas was the perfect fit because of my Pool Service Business.

I since have not regreted moving since I can still travel to CA with ease to see friends and family. I would urge people who are moving here to do your homework first because its not utopia and is not really an upgrade from other major cities. It was a good fit for me and I took advantage of what Las Vegas had to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 07:04 PM

4 posts, read 14,623 times
Why did we move to Vegas?

Well, my wife is a special ed teacher, and they bent over backwards to get her out here.

I run nightclubs. Seemed a perfect fit. So far so good.

DW

Old 09-04-2007, 07:40 PM

49 posts, read 196,637 times
We are going to be moving due to my husband line of work. Constuction...The things being built and knocked down to be rebuilt is crazy!

Old 09-04-2007, 09:15 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,509,301 times
DoubleA...good thread.

DW...how long have you been out there, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 09-04-2007, 09:37 PM

210 posts, read 821,640 times
We chose Las Vegas for a combination of reasons. We wanted NO SNOW, preferred low humidity, with lots of recreational opportunities (both urban and outdoor), and with a lot of good destinations within a 4-6 hour drive for weekend trips. We preferred a large city, for job opportunities, but wanted to avoid huge cities with massive sprawl. We wanted a city that was reasonably affordable (that ruled out anything in CA). We preferred to be near mountains. Although we tend to the conservative, we didn't want to be in a heavy "Bible Belt" location, nor did we want to be in one of the cities that are known for being really liberal. And although illegals are everywhere now, we didn't want to be in one of the "sanctuary cities." We preferred to avoid "weather" of any kind (ie, blizzards, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.).

By the time we were done listing out our preferences, LV was top on the list. I'm fortunate that my career is very much in demand, so I just watched the job boards for openings, sent my resume, and here we are. :-)

No city is perfect, but Las Vegas had what we were looking for, and we've been very happy with the city.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:12 AM

207 posts, read 907,687 times
Moved here at the end of June after my girlfriend decided to attend the culinary arts school and I figured I could land a job fairly easily out here. Sure enough, I'll be starting at the wastewater treatment plant at the end of this month at roughly the salary and benefits I wanted and she loves learning to be a better chef than she already is.

We're both young and love the scene, day and night, and we often joke about how we can't wait for those 8 months out of the year of beautiful weather we keep hearing about. We expected heat, hell we were both floating off Somalia during their summer and in the gulf inside a nuclear power plant, but dear lord this is unrelenting. Norfolk isn't exactly a paradise so we're extremely happy so far and plan on staying for a bit.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:32 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,296,262 times
redwhale, this was just the hottest summer on record according to the weather dude on fox 5 news earlier.
It should start feeling better heat wise in a few more weeks. By the time october gets here, the nights will cool down considerably. And you can save on your power bill for awhile.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:23 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,715,833 times
I'm glad to hear a lot of people are doing well!

Old 09-05-2007, 07:14 AM

12 posts, read 34,608 times
I cant wait to get out there, my house is now on the market a week, hopefully it will sell soon and im on the way.

I've already got the job lined up, and they are flexible with my arrival.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:50 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,127,019 times
Came here from Colorado in the Air force in 1962. Spent the first winter of my life without a snowshovel in my hand and said "THIS is God's country" been here ever since
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: