Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 01:35 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,593,219 times

Advertisements

Back in 2010, I made the decision to move to Las Vegas from my hometown of Orlando, FL while I was really scared that things would not work out at first, they worked very well for me for awhile. I met what I thought was a great girl, got a great job with even better pay, a beautiful apt, the works

In August 2011, my ex and I went through a very nasty break up, in November 2011, I got let go from my job. In December 2011 my father died. I was forced to leave my apartment because being unemployed I couldnt pay the rent, the ex moved in with a new guy who had a criminal record (now has kids with him) In January I took a job, the only job I could get selling cars, and borrowed $600 from my uncle to rent a room from somebody. After one month that job fell through, and I was forced to return to Orlando

After returning my old job hired me back, so I got lucky there. Although the issues that made me leave in the first place are still here. My moms impulsive spending, resulting in me bailing her out every time the electric, water, cable companies, etc send shut off notices. She hoards too, our house is a complete wreck.

A lot of my friends have moved on in their lives and "dont have time" to hang out anymore so I have had to make (unsuccessfully) a whole new circle of friends. There is also my 17 yr old brother who is chronically truant, and sometimes I get woken up at 7 in the morning with my mom yelling at him that he missed the bus and I have to take him to school, among all other kinds of reasons as to why I left, my family was and is completely dysfunctional

As of right now I am saving money to move back, a good friend of mine in Vegas works as a limo driver and wants to put in a good word for me so I can get hired. He is also buying a house and when he moves into his house, plans to transfer his apt lease to my name when he moves out, and will only charge me $300 a month to stay there until I get on my feet

I was also thinking of attending school if I move back. I know if I move this time, I will be leaving with roughly 2.5-3x as much savings than my first move in 2010, and also a LOT less debt I owe. My car loan will have about $1100 left on the loan when moving day comes

Yet I am terrified of moving back. Mainly because I'm afraid the limo driving thing WONT work out, and I fear that if it doesn't, I'm going to run out of money before I find a job. I cannot take my job with me as it is a local company. I also fear finding a job will be even more difficult due to school.

Even though now I have connects in Vegas in terms of a job and living situation making things appear easier, are my fears unfounded? Am I still haunted by all the trauma I experienced the last 6 months I lived there?

I've never been so indecisive in my life, I just dont know what to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 PM

244 posts, read 668,246 times
Everybody gets scared/nervous when they are making a big life decision. Believe me, I still get a little nervous about our decision to move, and that isn't happening for a couple of years.

It sounds to me like you really don't like living where you are right now. And it looks like you will have a better safety net in terms of savings, lower debt, job prospects and living situation.

Did you like Las vegas the last time you lived there? Was the climate and social scene something that appealed to you?

I can't tell you what to do, but think about this. Layoffs can happen anywhere. If it were to happen again (and I'm not saying it will) would you rather be where you are now or where you want to be?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:42 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,593,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakread2 View Post
Everybody gets scared/nervous when they are making a big life decision. Believe me, I still get a little nervous about our decision to move, and that isn't happening for a couple of years.

It sounds to me like you really don't like living where you are right now. And it looks like you will have a better safety net in terms of savings, lower debt, job prospects and living situation.

Did you like Las vegas the last time you lived there? Was the climate and social scene something that appealed to you?

I can't tell you what to do, but think about this. Layoffs can happen anywhere. If it were to happen again (and I'm not saying it will) would you rather be where you are now or where you want to be?
My relationship with my ex I was very unhappy. The city itself though? I loved it

I loved

-The mountains
-The dry climate
-The colder winters (Colder than FL, Vegas often goes below 32 this time of year)
-The shopping and dining choices

So yeah I suppose you could say I liked living there, I liked it a lot

Thats another thing, (I'm not saying it wont happen) but the company I work for here in FL is pretty stable, I'll always have a job as long as I am with them, but there is not much upward mobility and I'm only making $9.40 an hr. My job in Vegas I got let go from, I was earning $14 plus tips

I guess Vegas really is the better place for me. If I were to be laid off here in Orlando, it would take many months to find a job, there just are not any openings here. In Vegas I could have another job in a jiff

Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 PM

18,414 posts, read 19,053,577 times
sounds like you want to go to vegas just nervous about it, which is understandable. go with a small suitcase, give your self a time limit to see if it will work out. I would think you could replace your 9 dollar job just about anywhere. if you stay in fl. move out of your house where your mom and brother are. that seems to be a problem not good for your overall mental health.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:18 PM

815 posts, read 983,952 times
Go for it.
You will regret it if you don't give it another try.
Fear is normal, but you can overcome that.
You do not sound like you are happy in FL, so any chance of a better life is worth taking.
It's not a life or death decision, so just do it

Old 01-04-2013, 04:52 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,318,974 times
A few things.

-If you haven't already, you MUST pay that uncle back.

-Save every last penny you can.

-Avoid the ex, no exceptions.

-Go back, be young and have a blast.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:04 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,397,841 times
Vegas. Love-Hate relationship with that town.

It has always been a "landing" place for me. I have family and friends there...so when my life is crap, I end up there...

Plus.....always easy to find a job there. I have waited tables, danced, worked in shows, done temp work.
Minus...lots of loser men there, easy to get messed up in drinking, drugging lifestyle.

So, I go there, work hard, get organized, and leave.

I suggest you do the same.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,465,214 times
What is your gut telling you?
Always go with your gut.

IMO it's clear you have issues where you need to set clear boundaries with your immediate family.
Regardless of where you live.

Think of a good Plan B such that if you return to Vegas, and everyone/thing you hope works out....if it doesn't .... Have Plan B where you'd create it without relying on anyone but yourself.
I wish you the best of luck.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,424,487 times
Hi Davie. Best of luck whatever you decide. I think you might fear falling back into a risky lifestyle. Driving a limo, if you get the job, could put you in touch with people who might tempt you to make poor choices. I agree with the previous poster.....go with your gut.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,168,828 times
North Dakota oil fields.

Do it for one year.

They are hiring any and everyone. $18 an hour at 65-70 hours a week. Do it for a year, save, then move to Vegas with a nice lump sum saved up. An old neighbor of mine just got back over the holidays. He did it for over a year, he said since there was nothing to spend money on, he saved over 95% of his pay.

He drove trucks.

Here is a video of a guy(not my neighbor) talking about the jobs over there. I think the guy in the video is from Vegas. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube posted by people that used to be unemployed but now making $17-30 an hour. AS MANY HOURS AS THEY WANT.

http://youtu.be/8ThN1oSO1Sw

Posted from Nokia 8210
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas