Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:47 PM

1,613 posts, read 2,025,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Back in 2010, I made the decision to move to Las Vegas from my hometown of Orlando, FL while I was really scared that things would not work out at first, they worked very well for me for awhile. I met what I thought was a great girl, got a great job with even better pay, a beautiful apt, the works

In August 2011, my ex and I went through a very nasty break up, in November 2011, I got let go from my job. In December 2011 my father died. I was forced to leave my apartment because being unemployed I couldnt pay the rent, the ex moved in with a new guy who had a criminal record (now has kids with him) In January I took a job, the only job I could get selling cars, and borrowed $600 from my uncle to rent a room from somebody. After one month that job fell through, and I was forced to return to Orlando

After returning my old job hired me back, so I got lucky there. Although the issues that made me leave in the first place are still here. My moms impulsive spending, resulting in me bailing her out every time the electric, water, cable companies, etc send shut off notices. She hoards too, our house is a complete wreck.

A lot of my friends have moved on in their lives and "dont have time" to hang out anymore so I have had to make (unsuccessfully) a whole new circle of friends. There is also my 17 yr old brother who is chronically truant, and sometimes I get woken up at 7 in the morning with my mom yelling at him that he missed the bus and I have to take him to school, among all other kinds of reasons as to why I left, my family was and is completely dysfunctional

As of right now I am saving money to move back, a good friend of mine in Vegas works as a limo driver and wants to put in a good word for me so I can get hired. He is also buying a house and when he moves into his house, plans to transfer his apt lease to my name when he moves out, and will only charge me $300 a month to stay there until I get on my feet

I was also thinking of attending school if I move back. I know if I move this time, I will be leaving with roughly 2.5-3x as much savings than my first move in 2010, and also a LOT less debt I owe. My car loan will have about $1100 left on the loan when moving day comes

Yet I am terrified of moving back. Mainly because I'm afraid the limo driving thing WONT work out, and I fear that if it doesn't, I'm going to run out of money before I find a job. I cannot take my job with me as it is a local company. I also fear finding a job will be even more difficult due to school.

Even though now I have connects in Vegas in terms of a job and living situation making things appear easier, are my fears unfounded? Am I still haunted by all the trauma I experienced the last 6 months I lived there?

I've never been so indecisive in my life, I just dont know what to do
How about moving out of your mom's house and get your own place? That would free up a lot of your day to day frustrations. Then Orlando might become and enjoyable place to live again. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 PM

557 posts, read 795,262 times
IMHO pick a branch of the Armed Services and enlist for the following reasons;
You bank your pay during your enlistment ( will come in handy if/when you return to LV )
Almost everything is paid for you, by Uncle Sam ( no need for you to spend your money )
You will learn skills that will help you land a CAREER, not a JOB ( the 2 are very different )
You will visit diffent parts of the Country/World and may want to live somewhere else
You MAY make a CAREER out of the branch you enlist, and then earn a PENSION and BENEFITS
You will get that life experience very fast

I am not a recriuter, but see little choice for you.
BTW, I am 42 years old and have seen a lot of life, but I am not too old that I do not remember what it is like to be young. Moved to LV over the summer, but I paid my dues in life before I even thougt of moving. I never NEED to work again.

Good luck.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 PM

15,882 posts, read 14,546,979 times
This.

I was about to post the same thing, but Von beat me to it.

Reading you story, I take away a few things:

- You need to get away from your family. They're not doing anything for you, any are dragging you down. You don't seem to have any great reason to stay in Orlando

- The same could be said about Vegas. Nothing really for you there either.

- The main thing you need is to get established in a career, bank bank up some money. You don't need to be partying. You could live without a girlfriend

So go to ND, get a job, work you ass off, make some money, learn the drilling business, and climb the ladder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
North Dakota oil fields.

Do it for one year.

They are hiring any and everyone. $18 an hour at 65-70 hours a week. Do it for a year, save, then move to Vegas with a nice lump sum saved up. An old neighbor of mine just got back over the holidays. He did it for over a year, he said since there was nothing to spend money on, he saved over 95% of his pay.

He drove trucks.

Here is a video of a guy(not my neighbor) talking about the jobs over there. I think the guy in the video is from Vegas. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube posted by people that used to be unemployed but now making $17-30 an hour. AS MANY HOURS AS THEY WANT.

5 days of job searching in Williston, North Dakota - YouTube

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 01-04-2013, 09:23 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,182,165 times
^^^^^
I think I know of about 5 people that went to ND. Even the 3 that couldn't handle it after a couple of months, still left with something after making about $5-7k a month.

I would do it in a heartbeat if I was in Davie's shoes.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 01-05-2013, 07:34 AM

40 posts, read 65,091 times
Davie I would like to see you make it back to Vegas but self control is a must. Spring and summer will be here soon so you can probably get a job similar to your last one. You are familiar with the area so you have an advantage a lot of people who move there don't have. As for moving to ND....I am not sure how this came into play but it is very cold there, something you are probably not used to. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2013, 10:10 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,182,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldad View Post
As for moving to ND....I am not sure how this came into play but it is very cold there,!
Not talking about moving up there permanently, just for work. For someone with hardly any job skills, it would be perfect to get the foot in the door AND get paid. Just look at it as an overseas government contract job.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 01-05-2013, 11:00 AM

15,882 posts, read 14,546,979 times
This isn't even an issue of self control, it's an issue of opportunity. The opportunity he needs isn't in Vegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldad View Post
Davie I would like to see you make it back to Vegas but self control is a must. Spring and summer will be here soon so you can probably get a job similar to your last one. You are familiar with the area so you have an advantage a lot of people who move there don't have. As for moving to ND....I am not sure how this came into play but it is very cold there, something you are probably not used to. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 AM

99 posts, read 163,269 times
Default your not alone

GOOD morning all....I understand the feeling of being afraid to move..anywhere..for that matter...I currently live in Iowa...cold...I became a widow last year at the age of 58...talk about being afraid....after one year on my own here...(I do have plently of friends) I realize I can not handle the cold long winters here any longer...I have family in NJ but no desire to move back there.....I still need to work because I can not collect my husbands SS until I reach age 60..but will still have to work....I am looking into moving either to Summerlin area...or Henderson...Just want to rent..not interested in buying...I am afraid..very afraid...but my gut says to move on....not getting any younger...enjoy life....so with that said..think my house will go up for sale this spring...hopefully me & my doggie will be heading West before next winter....I wish you all the luck in the world....move on.....PS I also considered San Diego Ca but realized I can never afford living there....drats///

Old 01-05-2013, 01:34 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,429,673 times
I have read about the "man camps" in ND, and the high cost of living, bad conditions there, I would not go there.

Vegas is a good choice, especially if you buckle down, and go to school, I always think education can only help you. Join a good gym, get in the "GTL" mode, Gym, Tan, Laundery--school--work, you may never see your family. I had a night job, then went straight to school, got home around 12 pm, went to bed, woke up around 8 pm, went to the gym before work, showered at the gym, I never even saw my family.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:04 PM

116 posts, read 263,461 times
Davie, I follow both the Orlando and Las Vegas boards because we are torn between the two on where to move now that we are retired. I understand the allure of both. I remember seeing you on the Orlando boards when you were moving to Vegas the first time and how excited yet apprehensive you were. I also saw you back on the boards when you moved back to Orlando and how happy you were to be back home. The fact that you are afraid of moving back tells me that your hearts not in it. I think you are feeling pressure from friends to move back but that inside you know you belong near family. Good luck in your decision. Hope to make ours soon too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas