Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:23 AM

99 posts, read 129,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Ask anyone that lives full time in any of the top ten travel destinations in the world. They will be like "meh". Nothing special to them. They have to go about their daily grind as normal.

Baloney! I have lived in Vail most of my adult life. Yeah we have a daily grind and make sacrafices to live here but never "meh"!!! Appreciate that we get to live here every single day. I have talked to people who live in Maui, Grand Cayman, and many other parts of the world and "meh" is never in their vocabulary. Its hard to live in a resort so people who get "meh" usually leave because the sacrafices are not worth it. But for others......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 10:35 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,172,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
educated and beautiful women (with six figure salaries), very diverse and worldly population, good entertainment, lots of powerful important people, etc.....
I'm sure those particular women want the exact same or more in their men.

Sent from cell...

Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,993,352 times
Quote:

Sent from cell...
I think some of my post was deleted.

My point was that to each their own.

people can like different places for different reasons and we should recognize and respect this.

you can love vegas for vegas dc for dc and omaha for omaha...no place is better than another--it's all about preferences.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev780 View Post
Baloney! I have lived in Vail most of my adult life. Yeah we have a daily grind and make sacrafices to live here but never "meh"!!! Appreciate that we get to live here every single day. I have talked to people who live in Maui, Grand Cayman, and many other parts of the world and "meh" is never in their vocabulary. Its hard to live in a resort so people who get "meh" usually leave because the sacrafices are not worth it. But for others......
Different people, different results I guess. Depends on who you talk to. I have given the "meh" several times myself a couple of times and heard it even more.

From tourists, I have heard the "OMG, I can't believe you live here" while living in Savannah, Venice, Okinawa, Frankfurt, Seoul and now Las Vegas.

I have met or worked with people in these places that hate it with a passion. They can't wait to leave. That's a little more than "meh".

Sent from cell...

Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:

people can like different places for different reasons and we should recognize and respect this.

you can love vegas for vegas dc for dc and omaha for omaha...no place is better than another--it's all about preferences.
My posts get deleted or altered all the time. I am used to it now.

Anyway, to each their own, different strokes for different folks, can't make everyone happy, etc...

There is no right or wrong.

Sent from cell...

Old 11-01-2012, 01:14 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,601,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
See, this is what I'm talking about. I know next to nobody who is living in Las Vegas because Las Vegas is their first choice on planet Earth. Nearly everyone has someplace they'd rather be.

I'm of the mind that you should just go to Santa Barbara anyway, cost be damned. Learn to live without some things. The frustration sets in when things like ailing mother-in-law or kids in school (or whatever the damned good reason) interferes with one's ability to go do what they want.

I am very much looking forward to finding that someplace I'd rather be, and start "being" there.
Word.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:48 PM

15 posts, read 21,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev780 View Post
Funny I just moved here after 8 years in Vail. Couldn't be any more different, but so far so good.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:55 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
I think that living in the OC would be awful, but i understand why many like living there.

I love DC...educated and beautiful women (with six figure salaries), very diverse and worldly population, good entertainment, lots of powerful important people, etc...but I also love Vegas for it's nonjudgmental Gucci buddhist vibe, 24/7 lifestyle, cheap real estate, and vice on demand...

To each their own....
Quote:

Sent from cell...
Quote:

Quote:
My posts get deleted or altered all the time. I am used to it now.

Anyway, to each their own, different strokes for different folks, can't make everyone happy, etc...

There is no right or wrong.

Sent from cell...
Since there's a discussion about altering posts, let's clarify. That happens two ways... when a moderator needs to edit a post, or when someone decides to quote only a selected portion of someone else's post.

The first quote above is datafeed's post, with the "to each their own" phrase. That line was edited out by von949 when von949 quoted it. Nothing wrong with that, but sometimes when someone selects only a portion of a quoted post it can shift the meaning of it a bit. (a portion of datafeed's post was edited out earlier, as it was in response to a deleted troll post)

What can happen, but shouldn't, is a member actually changing the words in someone else's post when they quote it. That didn't happen in this case. But, if someone does do that, it should be reported.

Back to topic.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:27 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,014,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Since there's a discussion about altering posts, let's clarify. That happens two ways... when a moderator needs to edit a post, or when someone decides to quote only a selected portion of someone else's post.

The first quote above is datafeed's post, with the "to each their own" phrase. That line was edited out by von949 when von949 quoted it. Nothing wrong with that, but sometimes when someone selects only a portion of a quoted post it can shift the meaning of it a bit. (a portion of datafeed's post was edited out earlier, as it was in response to a deleted troll post)

What can happen, but shouldn't, is a member actually changing the words in someone else's post when they quote it. That didn't happen in this case. But, if someone does do that, it should be reported.

Back to topic.
So what is "removed due to consumer complaint?" If for instance someone slams Olive Garden, can Olive Garden insist that the post be edited? Just wondering, because that's how it now works in the news business.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:42 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,049,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mward View Post
I moved to Vegas because it is my favorite vacation spot and I fell in love with the city. However once I was living there it was too much and too far from home. I still love the city and maybe I will retire there one day.
In other words - you moved for all the wrong reasons.

At least you learned something from the experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas