Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 05:33 PM

54 posts, read 165,157 times

Advertisements

Summer driving tip-crack your window a bit when first getting into your car to let out the hot air, even if you have the air conditioning on. Makes a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 08:41 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,675,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Riff raff? If people can afford a house, especially now with stricter lending guidelines, then you can't pick and choose who can live in it?

If anything at all, the riff raff have already left their "investments", damaged, unkept and stripped of whatever the builder put into them.

What's happening now is that we're getting people who can AFFORD their homes, who really want to live here in Las Vegas and are being given the chance (due to affordability) to have the American Dream..in Las Vegas!
I agree with MomMom. Now that things are cheaper, there's a slight chance that I'll be able to own my own home. Renting is all well and good, but I don't want to be told if I can have dogs, and how many.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:22 PM

228 posts, read 555,840 times
Default Just my experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've never understood the concept of people 'giving up' on their park, and warning signs, or well-known NOT to go there.

When things get to that point, it means there needs to be serious concern to do something about it.

If you go to almost any other country in the world...the community areas that everyone shares are generally fine all the time...and no one just 'gives over' large public areas to thugs or criminals or whatever to work.
The very same park that 18, 17, 16 and 15 years ago my father would take me to to play tennis and where families in our neighborhood would have sundown picnics, is now the very same park (18 years later) that has signs advising residents to avoid being in past sundown.

Of course you don't go from one extreme (picnics) to another extreme (warning signs) over-night or over several weeks or over a few years. However, what allows occasional incidents, if they begin to occur, to accumulate is when we, as individuals, seek only to avoid the trouble. Yes, we protect ourselves at the individual level (which IS important), but the neighborhood MAY suffer as a whole, if everyone within the neighborhood is thinking only at the individual level.

This is why, I feel, when we seek only to avoid problems (crime), we end up accommodating the problems (crime).

I definitely understand any opinions that differ from mine, but I only feel this way because of what my childhood neighborhood in Cleveland, Ohio has become over the years. And it happened this way, I know, because we accommodated issues as we avoided them.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:33 PM

228 posts, read 555,840 times
Default now as a Las Vegan

Now as a Las Vegan ...

I see parallels with my time in the southwest part of town, where I lived for one year when I moved here 3 years ago. I see things, though subtly, changing, only because problems are being accommodated by being avoided.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:42 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,534,210 times
maybe it's because it's still the same people who accommodated by avoiding back where they came from? Too many move to LV, expecting the city to make things right for them. When the same problems creep up, they blame it on LV, not themselves.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:38 PM

23,270 posts, read 29,128,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Always wash your hands after going to the bathroom.
Inconclusive advice! Hands AND feet!

Old 03-18-2009, 08:49 PM

23,270 posts, read 29,128,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
You just said that the area between Russell and Craig is all pretty bad? You should really be more specific, since you've included the entire UNLV campus, the very nice Hughes Center, the entire John S. Park neighborhood and many other wonderful parts of Las Vegas.

How about just including the entire area between California and Utah, since we're going to be so vague?
If I were a professional mugger or car thief, and I was reading these posts, inadvertently, you would be steering me to the areas of town that I'd find the least suspecting and it would be most profitable for all my time, energies and creativity. With any of these posts where you'd be all but guaranteeing someone's safety, they would be the areas I'd concentrate on.

Let's stop helping the criminals in this city with some of these ludicrous posts on safety. NO PLACE is safe ANYWHERE in this city, county, state or country!

Old 03-18-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Inconclusive advice! Hands AND feet!
I love those signs in stores/restaurants that say, "Employees must wash their hands before returning to work." I've always been tempted to write underneath, "Everyone else feel free to smear their kuso on the wall."

Old 03-18-2009, 09:03 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,252,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If I were a professional mugger or car thief, and I was reading these posts, inadvertently, you would be steering me to the areas of town that I'd find the least suspecting and it would be most profitable for all my time, energies and creativity. With any of these posts where you'd be all but guaranteeing someone's safety, they would be the areas I'd concentrate on.

Let's stop helping the criminals in this city with some of these ludicrous posts on safety. NO PLACE is safe ANYWHERE in this city, county, state or country!

Pass the grain of salt. It is reasonably clear crime is well down from where it was 20 years ago. You hear anyone feeling safer? But they are.

When I was a kid we went to the park as a group or even one or two at a time.

My children went to the park pretty much by themselves. But my children's children...no way much too unsafe. Actually it was far less safe when my children walked there by themselves.

No facts in this argument though. We all know it is worse than it use to be...

Old 03-18-2009, 09:12 PM

I go to the park with my dogs, and I'm never worried. If anyone ever attacks me, my dogs will lick them to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas