Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:18 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,637,545 times

Advertisements

So I am getting a New Air Conditioner (thank you here, and Angieslist for the advice)
and its down to TWO manufactures

TRANE - XL14C or a AMERICAN STANDARD

Both or them are a 10/10 warranty and Variable speed fan, both have aluminum heat exchangers
and both are 14 SEER ratings. Both are 3 TON (the A/S may be a 3.5 ton, i'm not sure)
1383 Sq Ft house

The Trane is running just around $800 more then the A/S costs

What do you guys think?

Jonathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 04:03 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,012 times
Trane and American standard are the same company, same unit. As I mentioned before, I wouldnt be too crazy about variable speed in this desert, they really serve no purpose and are very expensive to replace.

The Trane and American standard units are fine but just like Carrier, your paying for the name and there are so many other brands out there for less with the same internal parts and same or better warranties.

One more thing, dont buy this through the big box store, otherwise you are also paying extra for the middle man.

Most important thing is, make sure it's properly sized and that they do a proper install. New gas line, new stand, proper transition, new disconnect box and a proper PVC drain with a proper built in trap.

Also, some contractors will try to talk you into using a roof curb and mounting the unit downshot, not a good idea, because it disturbes the roof.

Good luck and enjoy your energy savings!

Old 07-31-2012, 06:07 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
An HVAC guy told me he's been to the factory in Texas and watched Trane and American Standard come off the same assembly line and get routed one way or another afterwards for the Trane or American Standard enclosure.

When I was getting quotes for my Las Vegas house, Trane had a longer factory warranty (and cost more), but the contractors often offered the same warranty with American Standard, thus saving you some money, while offering the same equipment with the same warranty.

In Silicon Valley, Home Depot charges about the same to install a 3-ton Trane A/C as I am paying for to get a 110k BTU two-stage furnace and 16 SEER 5-ton A/C for my house there. In other words, they're charging well over 2x what it should cost.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:30 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Both or them are a 10/10 warranty and Variable speed fan, both have aluminum heat exchangers
and both are 14 SEER ratings. Both are 3 TON (the A/S may be a 3.5 ton, i'm not sure)
1383 Sq Ft house
Something doesn't compute here. At 14 SEER, you are looking at units with single-stage cooling and a single-speed fan in the air handler and in the condensing unit. I think you were being lied to about the variable speed fan.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:33 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
Trane and American standard are the same company, same unit. As I mentioned before, I wouldnt be too crazy about variable speed in this desert, they really serve no purpose and are very expensive to replace.

The Trane and American standard units are fine but just like Carrier, your paying for the name and there are so many other brands out there for less with the same internal parts and same or better warranties.

Buying a HVAC unit is a bit like buying a computer ... there may be many names on the outside BUT the components are generally made by two or three manufacturers.

I am NOT an HVAC professional but my experiences in the past lead me to this believe. First, find a qualified person with good references to install the unit. Also, more critical than the brand is to ensure that the unit is properly sized to the area that needs to be cooled.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Something doesn't compute here. At 14 SEER, you are looking at units with single-stage cooling and a single-speed fan in the air handler and in the condensing unit. I think you were being lied to about the variable speed fan.

this unit will have no air handler, it's an all in one package unit. Trane/AS offer the variable speed in what he is researching. Even some of the 13 seer package units have variable speed blowers.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:47 PM

The only thing different with the Trane/AS company, is that they manufacture their own compressor, in Mexico of course. All but a tiny percentage of other brands, use the Copeland scroll compressor and most of the other parts are all the same brand.

The only advantage of variable speed is for better dehumidification but you have to have the correct thermostat to enjoy this feature and for better dehumidification, a unit must be PROPERLY SIZED! Any unit that is oversized in humid weather will cycle off and on too often and the house will feel muggy, you will find yourself turning the stat down to get more comfortable.

If I go out on my own and buy a cheap $1800 a/c unit and install it myself, I dont freak out too much about properly sizing it but if I was paying a company to install a top notch expensive brand unit, I would insist on a load calculation to make sure the unit would perform top notch!

Old 07-31-2012, 10:19 PM

One more important thing. Whatever brand you go with, see if you can work out a warranty labor plan for several years.
A compressor warranty is just that, compressor. We had a compressor go out on one of our four year old units at our office and all the manufacture did was send a new compressor, we even had to pay shipping! By the time we were done paying for labor and all the extras, we were in it for $1500 bucks!

My point being that a long warranty on a new unit is great but does not include labor and a good contractor will usually offer a long labor plan to avoid situations as I just described.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:57 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,637,545 times
I got a 10/10/10 From Lin-Air on it, not the standard 10/10/2 the 'other' guys where offering

Jonathan

Old 08-01-2012, 05:01 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
So I am getting a New Air Conditioner (thank you here, and Angieslist for the advice)
and its down to TWO manufactures
TRANE - XL14C or a AMERICAN STANDARD
1383 Sq Ft house
The Trane is running just around $800 more then the A/S costs
What do you guys think?
Jonathan
Both those A/C Units are good..hard choice. We have a Lennox here at our home in Conn. Has been an exceptionally hot summer so it has been getting a workout. Our A/C is well over 15 years old and is still running well, good brand.
When I worked at the local gas company, we always recommended Trane equipment; don't know if that was because of the profit margin on them or if they were just the best. Would like to think they are the best. Good luck with your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas