Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:55 PM

261 posts, read 422,911 times

Advertisements

I ran across this website which rents houseboats/watercraft on Lake Mead. (If anyone can recommend them I would appreciate it. I rather rent than own a money pit know as a boat.) According to them the water temperatures on Lake Mead is 80 and 84 degrees in July and August, respectively. That seems very high to me. What about you? Do you need a wet suit to water ski or tube in Lake Mead? Does the temperature vary a great deal from one place to the next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 11:29 PM

542 posts, read 986,245 times
No, that's about right.

Its slightly warmer than bath water.

We usually do the summer rental boat trip out on the lake this time of year (Not this year, due to money constraints). No wetsuit needed...and a proper swimsuit is probably to much clothing

Water is very warm during the summer...and the air temp feels warmer than Vegas proper. Probably due to the added humidity.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:16 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
Lake Mead is lower in elevation than Las Vegas, therefore the temps at the lake usually average about 5º hotter. Given that it runs between 105º and 120º in the summer out there, and the days are longer, it figures the water would be warm, and it is. You can waterski, or scuba, out there all year round, but would need a wet suit in cold weather. The low elevation that makes the lake warmer in summer also makes it colder in winter than it is in town. I've fished there in summer and nearly burned up, and I've hunted there in winter and nearly froze; but I think on average it's pleasant unless the wind is blowing. Then you get some pretty big white caps.

BTW: Because the water is warm, trout don't breed there, so they are only in the lake when Fish and Game stocks them; but bass, and others, seem to love it.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:33 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,833 times
Buzz,

I scuba dive and you still need a wetsuit in the summer in Lake Mead, that is, unless you are really resistant to chilly water. Once you pass through the thermocline (around 25-30 feet) it gets down to 70 or so in the middle of the summer.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:43 PM

261 posts, read 422,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Buzz,

I scuba dive and you still need a wetsuit in the summer in Lake Mead, that is, unless you are really resistant to chilly water. Once you pass through the thermocline (around 25-30 feet) it gets down to 70 or so in the middle of the summer.

Is there much to see down there? I noticed a dive place in BC that offered trips below the dam for when they released water. A fun ride for sure. But that probably doesn't happen anymore.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Buzz,

Yeah, I guess you're right. Was only thinking of surface temps.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbill618 View Post
Is there much to see down there? I noticed a dive place in BC that offered trips below the dam for when they released water. A fun ride for sure. But that probably doesn't happen anymore.
There are sunken boats and dead mobsters down there, and this: B-29 Superfortress That Lies at the Bottom of Lake Mead Continues to Draw Attention | National Parks Traveler

Lake Mead - B29 WWII plane

Old 07-06-2012, 08:34 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,833 times
You can't dive on the B-29, it's a protected wreck. But there is a PBY somewhere in the lake that you can dive on, the local dive shops know where it is. Also, in Lake Mojave, there's the remnants of an old ferry that was used before the lake was filled. Most of the stuff in Lake Mead is too deep for recreational diving. There are a lot of fish to see at any depth, though.

All in all, as lakes go, diving in Lake Mead and Lake Mojave is okay. But no lake (with the possible exception of the Great Lakes) has as good diving as the ocean.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
You can't dive on the B-29, it's a protected wreck. But there is a PBY somewhere in the lake that you can dive on, the local dive shops know where it is. Also, in Lake Mojave, there's the remnants of an old ferry that was used before the lake was filled. Most of the stuff in Lake Mead is too deep for recreational diving. There are a lot of fish to see at any depth, though.

All in all, as lakes go, diving in Lake Mead and Lake Mojave is okay. But no lake (with the possible exception of the Great Lakes) has as good diving as the ocean.
Don't lots of local divers go out to Catalina Island ─ 26 miles across the sea, etc. (except it's really 22 miles)?

Can you still catch humongus strippers by spear fishing in Lake Mead?

The links I posted make it sound like you can get permission to dive on the B-29. Is that bad information?

Old 07-06-2012, 05:46 PM

542 posts, read 986,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post

That's AWESOME!! Never knew it was down there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas