Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 12:33 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,952,183 times

Advertisements

So...we went up Mt. Charleston today to book some horseback riding for my niece and brother. We decided to check out the Ski place. They have been making some positive changes up there. They have added disc golf, "scenic" chair lift rides, they had a blues band there last night...I was actually surprised. There were quite a few people milling around. We asked some fellow Michiganders how the disc golf was and they said that it was challenging. These guys were fit and had about 20 discs each, so they were avid disc golfers. They said they wore the wrong shoes and that you should wear light hiking shoes, but that it was a lot of fun.

I hope they continue with marketing the place for summer use. They were talking to us about getting a toboggan run too. Sounds like fun!

It was very nice up there today!!! Nice breeze, warm but cooler than in the city. Perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 03:18 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,809,166 times
Many winter vacation areas are now tapping into summer things to do. In the area I live in Stowe Vermont has a host of things to do with a ride down the mountain and events like concerts and etc. Lake Placid NY now has more summer business than winter. They hoist one of the biggest horse shows equestrian riding on the east coast and it is now international. They built a convention center attached to the 1980 Miracle on Ice hockey arena. Hiking and fly fishing world famous areas and much more. Glad to see Mt. Charleston expanding I believe it is a diamond in the rough. The state of Nevada should look into helping fund and advertise the area you would be amaze ho many people would visit.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:59 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,130,621 times
I had no idea they did summer things up there. Thanks, Kimba!

Old 07-02-2012, 04:19 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,371,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Many winter vacation areas are now tapping into summer things to do. In the area I live in Stowe Vermont has a host of things to do with a ride down the mountain and events like concerts and etc. Lake Placid NY now has more summer business than winter. They hoist one of the biggest horse shows equestrian riding on the east coast and it is now international. They built a convention center attached to the 1980 Miracle on Ice hockey arena. Hiking and fly fishing world famous areas and much more. Glad to see Mt. Charleston expanding I believe it is a diamond in the rough. The state of Nevada should look into helping fund and advertise the area you would be amaze ho many people would visit.
You might be amazed to know that that although a local ski club had a rope tow up there in the 40's, the actual ski resort has been there for almost 50 years, and it is already known to people all over the world (even though I'm always surprised at locals that have never been there). The problem is space and environmental issues. But the ski area is slated for expansion. More runs and lifts will be going in eventually, and I think a new restaurant too, and I hope, more locker room room (say one for men and one for women?). But the Spring Mountains (where Mt. Charleston is only one peak) are having a hard time dealing with being attacked by 2 million residents and 39 million visitors.

Las Vegas Ski & Snowboard Resort - Home Page

Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mt. Charleston - Spring Mountains National Recreation Area

Old 07-02-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
So...we went up Mt. Charleston today to book some horseback riding for my niece and brother. We decided to check out the Ski place. They have been making some positive changes up there. They have added disc golf, "scenic" chair lift rides, they had a blues band there last night...I was actually surprised. There were quite a few people milling around. We asked some fellow Michiganders how the disc golf was and they said that it was challenging. These guys were fit and had about 20 discs each, so they were avid disc golfers. They said they wore the wrong shoes and that you should wear light hiking shoes, but that it was a lot of fun.

I hope they continue with marketing the place for summer use. They were talking to us about getting a toboggan run too. Sounds like fun!

It was very nice up there today!!! Nice breeze, warm but cooler than in the city. Perfect.
People have been playing in the snow at Lee Canyon─skiing (X/C and alpine), sledding, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, and tubing since at least the 1930s. The ski resort might be putting in their own toboggan run, but the snow vehicle of preference around here is an old inner tube. My daughter has a great pic somewhere of her and me on an inner tube coming down the hill near the meadow just before the ski resort. It was taken in the mid 1960's when she was very little. There is plenty of snow usually, but there isn't enough space on the mountain. Not like Reno which is within 45 minutes to an hour of 19 very large ski resorts. Local skiers that don't want to go that far usually ski at Brain Head in Utah, 3-4 hours north.

And summer activity is not a new thing at Lee Canyon either. Y'all just didn't know about it.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:44 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,788,466 times
It seemed so confusing and unorganized the two times I've been up there. Everyone parks along side the road and if you can't find a park, you SOL. I can only imagine how bad it is since the population boom. Is there any controlled parking besides the hotel?

Old 07-02-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
It seemed so confusing and unorganized the two times I've been up there. Everyone parks along side the road and if you can't find a park, you SOL. I can only imagine how bad it is since the population boom. Is there any controlled parking besides the hotel?
I think you are talking about Kyle Canyon. The ski resort is in Lee Canyon. Although parking at the Lodge in Kyle Canyon has never been well laid out, it's a throw back to the western notion of self reliance at play. Plus weather on the mountain has a lot to do with it, as well as restrictions on what you are allowed to build up there. After all, it is a small slice out of a vast wilderness area that we are lucky to have grandfathered in. Keep in mind it has been the same for decades; way before anyone even dreamed Las Vegas would hit 200,000, let alone 2 million pop. But all attempts to modernize in the residential area have been voted down by the residents many times over the last 40 or 50 years.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:55 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,952,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
People have been playing in the snow at Lee Canyon─skiing (X/C and alpine), sledding, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, and tubing since at least the 1930s. The ski resort might be putting in their own toboggan run, but the snow vehicle of preference around here is an old inner tube. My daughter has a great pic somewhere of her and me on an inner tube coming down the hill near the meadow just before the ski resort. It was taken in the mid 1960's when she was very little. There is plenty of snow usually, but there isn't enough space on the mountain. Not like Reno which is within 45 minutes to an hour of 19 very large ski resorts. Local skiers that don't want to go that far usually ski at Brain Head in Utah, 3-4 hours north.

And summer activity is not a new thing at Lee Canyon either. Y'all just didn't know about it.
I have seen people sledding and such just anywhere there, but this would be a more controlled type run and most people don't lug around toboggans here. She said there would be a lift to take you back up too. She also said, in the plans, it could be used in the summer. Kind of like a water slide, without the water. I know the bobsled teams use those types of things to practice in the warm weather. I think it would be neat. But...it is just in the planning stages so...

She also said this is the first time in 8 years that the ski resort has been open in the summer. I hope it goes well for them. She said they had about 500+ people at the opening, they had a local blues band and food and drinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
It is. There are some regular spots that all have Reserved parking signs on them (for who, I am not sure, maybe the workers? We parked in one of them ) But, yes, cars are just parked anywhere along the road there. No one really seemed to mind, but if it is freezing and you are lugging skis and such, it could be a pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: