Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 04:55 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,396,045 times

Advertisements

"NORTH LAS VEGAS, Nev. (AP) — There are no signs of rioters, wind-damaged homes or flooding. The brand new City Hall features gleaming marble floors and the public recreation centers offer Zumba, karate and Pilates classes.
Despite all of its suburban trimmings, North Las Vegas is officially a disaster area.
After five years of declining property taxes, massive layoffs and questionable spending, leaders of the blue-collar, family-oriented city outside Las Vegas declared a state of emergency, invoking a rarely used state law crafted for unforeseen disasters.
No matter that the statute, which allows municipalities to suspend union contracts and avoid paying scheduled salary increases, doesn't actually include fiscal emergencies among the list of potential disasters.
"It says, in case of 'emergency such as.' You can't list how many different types of emergencies there are in the world," City Council member Wade Wagner said of the move, which will save the city $9 million............................ - Yahoo! News"

for full story click on link
Financially-strapped Nevada city declared disaster - Yahoo! News

Last edited by WildWestDude; 06-22-2012 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 05:14 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,678,940 times
Well, the city council is trying that tactic. They are being sued for it. Some tough decisions have to be made, but I think they are going too far by twisting the intended use of this law which is natural disasters.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:17 PM

727 posts, read 1,057,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Well, the city council is trying that tactic. They are being sued for it. Some tough decisions have to be made, but I think they are going too far by twisting the intended use of this law which is natural disasters.
You are probably right. I fear they are going to spend most of their time in court fighting this kind of stuff rather than trying to solve the real problems.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:40 PM

399 posts, read 694,506 times
Could Aliante and communities north of Ann Road form their own city?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:47 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,396,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWNLV View Post
Impossible, with the costs of running a city "FORGET ABOUT IT"

Old 06-22-2012, 09:58 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,344,179 times
It will be interesting to see if they keep both Aliante and North Las Vegas golf clubs open. I can only imagine their water bills with this rate increase

Old 06-23-2012, 02:30 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,300,380 times
They should just make the entire valley Las Vegas.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:56 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,032,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
It will be interesting to see if they keep both Aliante and North Las Vegas golf clubs open. I can only imagine their water bills with this rate increase
The recent rate increase was an infrastructure surcharge based on the size of the pipe serving the property and has nothing at all to do with how much water is actually used.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:21 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,588,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWNLV View Post
Would it be called North North Las Vegas?

Old 06-23-2012, 03:43 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,344,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The recent rate increase was an infrastructure surcharge based on the size of the pipe serving the property and has nothing at all to do with how much water is actually used.
I know that but depending on what size pipe they had put in, they could be screwed just like a lot of businesses are right now. Even our HOA for 19 homes s aw a huge increase, Aliante golf club is probably one of the few clubs left that has a complete grass driving range so it's quite feasible that their bill skyrocketed with the new fee structure

I could be completely wrong since I don't have their P&L in front of me but I don'T see the courses making them a lot of profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas