Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 12:22 PM

73 posts, read 150,665 times

Advertisements

In the 5.5 years I've been here, it has snowed on occasion but nothing like it did when I was raised outside of Boston. My kids DID have 1 snow day here and it snows on Mt Charleston if you really want to go experience snow. I went just yesterday and there was still snow on the mountain. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 01:43 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,409,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [COLOR="red"
PinkString;24281339]I love snow
Quote:
Originally Posted by [COLOR="red"
. [/color]I never see it though, except in movies and once or twice a year a few flakes fall. The Lakes area is also a good place to see snow a time or two in the winter. It's right next to Summerlin, far west side of town. We were living on that side of town when it snowed quite nicely in December 2003. I stayed up all night long back then taking photos. I still have them somewhere.
[color="Red"][quote=[COLOR="Red"]Buzz123;24281555]I love snow too[/COLOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I have found that those that say "I love snow" are usually people who live places they dont really have it. If you don't have to deal with it, it is easy to have a romantic vision of snow. Those that live in snow country know better. To me it is not pretty, it's a PIA. It's not lovely and sparkly, it's cold and a headache to drive in. It's a hassel to shovel. It causes traffic accidents, roofs to collapse, power outages. Frozen wipers are of no use when driving in a blizzard. 25 below wind chills that come with 50mph winds and whiteout conditions...yuck. I hate socks and winter coats and gloves and hats and layers of fleece. I'd rather be baking in the sun driving around with the top down. Being hot is MUCH better than being cold. And anymore, cold is anything below 70.

I HATE SNOW! I can tell you once I move I will never miss it and if I ever have the urge to drive someplace to see it, please kill me because I have obviously gone over the edge!

I really really belong in the desert. Really.

I can't wait for that first snowless Christmas tree season!
Excuse me? You don't know me. I don't know about Pink, but I was born and raised where it rains and snows more in one day than it does here in a whole year. I've lived in three places where snow is measured in feet. I learned to drive in snow. No, I don't like to shovel it ...too much work. But I do love to ski, ice skate, snowshoe, snow mobile, and sled/tube in it. And I like to look at it, take pictures of it, and make snowmen. Plus I have a closet full of winter clothes that I really enjoy wearing.

I understand the problems snow can cause, but I don't hate it, I just know how to deal with it; and I have little respect for certain friends who are too wimpy or just plain ignorant of the out of doors to enjoy nature. They are usually so self-centered that all they think about is their own personal comfort, and they go to such extreme lengths to avoid any discomfort that all you get out of them is negativity and complaining, which ruins the fun for everyone else.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:10 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,141,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetConfections View Post
I live about 20 min from Chicago. ALL my life I loved the snow and the winters here. Now I know it does not snow in Vegas. But, one thing that will help me feel at home is a real Christmas tree!!!! My husband keeps teasing me saying, " THERE ARE NO CHRISTMAS TREES IN THE DESERT". So I'm asking you guys....Is there a place to get real Christmas trees from????

Plus, I wanna silence the hubby!!!! lol
They are on every corner after October. Remember that if you have a live tree you MUST water it because there is no humidity and it will dry out fast and become a fire hazard or make a mess of your floor. Also, if you want cold and snow, Mt Charleston is a short ride.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:18 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,141,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I have found that those that say "I love snow" are usually people who live places they dont really have it. If you don't have to deal with it, it is easy to have a romantic vision of snow. Those that live in snow country know better. To me it is not pretty, it's a PIA. It's not lovely and sparkly, it's cold and a headache to drive in. It's a hassel to shovel. It causes traffic accidents, roofs to collapse, power outages. Frozen wipers are of no use when driving in a blizzard. 25 below wind chills that come with 50mph winds and whiteout conditions...yuck. I hate socks and winter coats and gloves and hats and layers of fleece. I'd rather be baking in the sun driving around with the top down. Being hot is MUCH better than being cold. And anymore, cold is anything below 70.

I HATE SNOW! I can tell you once I move I will never miss it and if I ever have the urge to drive someplace to see it, please kill me because I have obviously gone over the edge!

I really really belong in the desert. Really.

I can't wait for that first snowless Christmas tree season!
I have only seen snow a few times in my life but from my most snowy experience which was while visiting Chicago in January, I can offer the view that the 5 inch snowfall was very beautiful the day it fell. It blanketed everything in white and on the street my hotel was on they have this old brick water tower thing that is surrounded by trees in the middle of the street and it was astonishing to see it after the snow fell. Honestly, you could get a good camera and make a holiday card out of it. BUT that was the first day. By the second day, the city had plowed the snow into big piles along the street and it had turned to an ugly icy black sludge. Then the city had this truck with a mechanical sprayer on it that went up and down the street spraying salt on EVERYTHING and everybody. My shoes and pants were covered with it and the place looked like hell.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:29 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,326,712 times
[quote=Buzz123;24286078]

[color="Red"][color="Red"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [COLOR="Red"
Buzz123;24281555]I love snow too[/COLOR

Excuse me? You don't know me. I don't know about Pink, but I was born and raised where it rains and snows more in one day than it does here in a whole year. I've lived in three places where snow is measured in feet. I learned to drive in snow. No, I don't like to shovel it ...too much work. But I do love to ski, ice skate, snowshoe, snow mobile, and sled/tube in it. And I like to look at it, take pictures of it, and make snowmen. Plus I have a closet full of winter clothes that I really enjoy wearing.

I understand the problems snow can cause, but I don't hate it, I just know how to deal with it; and I have little respect for certain friends who are too wimpy or just plain ignorant of the out of doors to enjoy nature. They are usually so self-centered that all they think about is their own personal comfort, and they go to such extreme lengths to avoid any discomfort that all you get out of them is negativity and complaining, which ruins the fun for everyone else.
Um, excuse me? Who said I was talking specifically about YOU? Jeeze. Chill.

IME experience throughout my life, those that say they love snow do not live where it snows, and have had only limited experience with it. I can personally site friends in my life who live in southern California, Arizona, Hawaii, and parts of southern Texas. I know VERY FEW people (actually off-hand I can think of exactly ONE) who lives where I do that loves snow. Most people just tolerate winter around here, and don't do it happily...especially the long months of January and Feb afte the holiday festivties are done. Most rejoiced at the non-winter we had this past year because they didn't have to deal with snow much.

I hate snow, I hate cold, and it is the reason I want to move out of this part of the country. I know how to deal with it, and like that even less. This makes me self centered, ignorant, wimpy, and negative? Um, no. It makes me a person with a very strong opinion about something, so much so that I am going to make a major move to get away from it. I didn't say "I hate snow and people who love it are stupid and they all suck." If anyone read that, then THEY are too sensitive. We don't all like the same thing. Thats LIFE. You like snow and enjoy winter activities, I do not and have no interest in them. SO what? Do what makes ya happy, makes no difference to me. Whatever floats your boat. You don't know ME either, yo.

As I said I am looking forward to the holiday season without the nasty weather we get here that time of year.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,298 times
Yes there are real Christmas trees in Las Vegas. I lived there 15 years (until 2010), and they always have a Christmas Tree Lot to buy trees right on Charleston Avenue near where I lived and there are others. Also, every year someone I know gets a real Christmas tree flocked with white for the beauty. Also, I think you should know that it does snow in Las Vegas. Never really in December (although I think it's happened), but in Jan and Feb it is always possibility. Some years, it snows every year in a row but only for a day or two. People don't realize that the high desert it can be cold in the winter. I love Las Vegas that's why I'm probably moving back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas