Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 03:26 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,042 times

Advertisements

Could you give me some Summerliln zip codes to look at on line? Not the most expensive, but nicer areas. So many homes are two story. One story seems to be scarcer, which is what I'm looking for. (around 1500 sq. ft.)

Also wondering looking at back yards (I say that with hesitation) I see many that are almost just dirt. No landscaping. Also some with block walls with no stucco on them. Is it they don't have underground sprinklers?

I love a pretty back yard, and have a gorgeous one in my Phoenix home which I will be selling. It's stucco with bougainvillea climbing the walls, and lovely desert landscaping. So enjoyable to sit outside when it is so pretty.

It seems many people are content to live with brown dirt or just rock with no color or greenery in their back yard. Is it a water issue. Is it too expensive to water such landscaping. Is it that people just don't want to bother with the work of upkeep or hiring a landscaper. The yards are so tiny, you wouldn't think it would be such a big deal to landscape them. Just curious. Don't see this so much in Phoenix. Maybe in a higher price range ($200,000 and up) I might see more. Was looking up to around $160,000 range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 04:29 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
So you want to spend $150,000 in Summerlin for a house with gorgeous landscaping?
You will definitely need a realtor for this. You may have to do what we did. Buy the house that you want without the landscaping already in place. Then make the front and rear yard to your liking.

We did exactly this. Just finished up with landscaping the front yard after about a year and having to leave for seven months. Probably will take me till the end of the summer to finish the back yard. At least this way you pay for exactly what you want and not overpay for what someone else thought was nice.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:46 PM

Well, I just started looking on line in Summerlin. Before that I was looking in a lot of different areas that were not as expensive, and I find the same thing. I am not arguing your point of making it like you like it. What I am saying is I find it unusual that so many homes are void of this. In Phoenix, as an example, you don't have to buy an expensive house in the best neighborhoods to get some decent landscaping. (front and back) I never considered basic landscaping a luxury item for a house. Of course landscaping can get very expensive. No one knows this better than I, but there is a bare minimum that is not so expensive and still pleasing to the eye.

I don't want to appear that I am knocking your state, because I'm not. Just an observation I have made that I can't help wondering why it is this way and if there is some reason I'm not aware of.

Maybe $150,000 is a low price for a house in Summerlin, but that shouldn't preclude landscaping in general. Seriously, look at homes in all sorts of zip codes up to $150,000 and you will be hard pressed to find very many that have pretty back yards. A lot of them have some landscaping in the front, but the back yard is a literal brown desert with an ugly cinder block wall staring you in the face 15 ft from your house. Just saying, I have not seen this before.

Maybe I should to go back and look at the two story homes and see if there's any difference, since there are so many more of them.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:49 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Most newer construction is multi story because it's cheaper. You can also build a larger home on a smaller lot. Just means you have to climb the stairs as long as you own the home.

At 150K or less, if you want a single story with a decent yard, you may have to look at older homes outside of Summerlin.

Lots of people skip the landscaping because they don't want to maintain it or pay to water it. They probably don't spend much time outside.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:34 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Well, I just started looking on line in Summerlin. Before that I was looking in a lot of different areas that were not as expensive, and I find the same thing. I am not arguing your point of making it like you like it. What I am saying is I find it unusual that so many homes are void of this. In Phoenix, as an example, you don't have to buy an expensive house in the best neighborhoods to get some decent landscaping. (front and back) I never considered basic landscaping a luxury item for a house. Of course landscaping can get very expensive. No one knows this better than I, but there is a bare minimum that is not so expensive and still pleasing to the eye.

I don't want to appear that I am knocking your state, because I'm not. Just an observation I have made that I can't help wondering why it is this way and if there is some reason I'm not aware of.

Maybe $150,000 is a low price for a house in Summerlin, but that shouldn't preclude landscaping in general. Seriously, look at homes in all sorts of zip codes up to $150,000 and you will be hard pressed to find very many that have pretty back yards. A lot of them have some landscaping in the front, but the back yard is a literal brown desert with an ugly cinder block wall staring you in the face 15 ft from your house. Just saying, I have not seen this before.

Maybe I should to go back and look at the two story homes and see if there's any difference, since there are so many more of them.
This is exactly how our home was when we initially moved in. We probably had the worst back yard on the block. After I am done with it, it may be something to talk about.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:35 PM

Yes, I see that's true. I just went to $200,000 and also looked at two story homes to see, and it wasn't a lot different. Some of the front views were nicer but back yards often barren. (with a few exceptions)

Are there not enough months where the weather is not too cold or too hot to sit outside? I would think you get at least 4 months of mild outdoor weather.

But I concur that I pay about $100 a month in water to keep my landscaping up and then another $100 a month for the gardener (just for the back)

Old 03-25-2012, 08:21 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Yes, I see that's true. I just went to $200,000 and also looked at two story homes to see, and it wasn't a lot different. Some of the front views were nicer but back yards often barren. (with a few exceptions)
Keep looking. Coming from the east coast, we were looking for some greenery as well and eventually found a house with plenty. Here are some pictures of the greenery from the front and back views of my house. Click on the thumbnails for larger views.

Attachment 82743 Attachment 82744 Attachment 82745

EDIT: For some reason the pictures showed up as attachments rather than thumbnails. Just click on each of the three links to see the pictures.

Last edited by MadManofBethesda; 03-25-2012 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Add clarification.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:49 PM

Wow, that is absolutely beautiful MadmanofBethesda. I LOVE the greenery and the pool is spectacular, but I'm sure that's out my price range. Where is it? What a lovely home. Lucky you. The picture is nothing without a beautiful frame.

Did you put that pool in yourself? I love the design. Just can't say enough about it. Are you married? (just joking)

You know what would make a great thread. People putting pictures of their houses on that have some landscaping.
It might be nice for us out of state people to see. Began to think everyone in Nevada likes brown!

Old 03-25-2012, 09:19 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Wow, that is absolutely beautiful MadmanofBethesda. I LOVE the greenery and the pool is spectacular, but I'm sure that's out my price range. Where is it? What a lovely home. Lucky you. The picture is nothing without a beautiful frame.
I live in Spanish Trail, which is a development of 1200+ houses off of Tropicana between Rainbow and Durango. It's about 2 miles east of Summerlin. The single family houses may be out of your price range, but the villa homes aren't. Here's a 2/2 for $185k that is on a pond and surrounded by greenery. There are even ducks and geese that live there that you'd be able to watch from your window. Take a look at some of the pictures in the listing:

8330 Plum Creek CT Las Vegas NV - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1210862 - Realtor.com®

Here's a larger villa (1834 sq. ft) for $209k on a stream in a different section of the development. Make sure to click through all of the pictures to see the lush landscaping.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ex=NV535134084

Last edited by MadManofBethesda; 03-25-2012 at 09:35 PM..

Old 03-25-2012, 09:24 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
When you buy a new home it is usually only landscaped in the front. HOAs usually give the new homeowner a certain amount of time to do the back. I don't know why you're seeing so many without backyard landscaping in Summerlin, but maybe the owners put it off, the market crashed, and now the homes are empty. Also, in a few cases the community takes care of the front, and maybe the back just died from lack of being irrigated regularly ...unless these homes you're looking at are occupied. But I think Las Vegas and Phoenix have a lot in common in terms of landscaping.

As far as zip codes, those can be found on Google in lots of links, but be advised they overlap communities, so that it still might be hard to define Summerlin by zips. We go by addresses. But again, you can Google Summerlin and find a map of what parts of town are in Summerlin and which aren't. There are several other nice communities in the vicinity of Summerlin too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas