Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 PM

180 posts, read 391,850 times

Advertisements

What do others that have a seasonal home due for the 3 services. We spoke with Cox and was told they have a seasonal package that would lower the cost to 15/mth while we were away and than reinstate when we come back. We were told when we put it on to seasonal that it can only be done once a year along with the free cable box costs 7.99 and we where given showtime extra.
What is the best way to have the services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 PM

41 posts, read 117,746 times
We use Cox for internet. We just keep it year round and pay the bills monthly.
We use magic jack for the phone and Netflix for tv. There is also a Hulu option.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:05 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,879 times
Century link for internet ($30/mo)
Ooma for phone ($3/mo)
Roku for TV ($8/mo for Netflix $8/mo for Hulu and $80/yr for Amazon Prime)

If there is some sporting event or other show we want to watch live at the house we will bring a directv receiver with us when we come to town from our primary home.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:22 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,766,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
Ooma for phone ($3/mo)
Nice to see someone else down with Ooma, soooo much better than MagicJack!

Old 03-08-2012, 02:07 PM

238 posts, read 548,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NU2LV View Post
What do others that have a seasonal home due for the 3 services. We spoke with Cox and was told they have a seasonal package that would lower the cost to 15/mth while we were away and than reinstate when we come back. We were told when we put it on to seasonal that it can only be done once a year along with the free cable box costs 7.99 and we where given showtime extra.
What is the best way to have the services?
Phone: I just use my cell phone

Internet: I have a mobile hot-spot called a Mi-Fi from Virgin Atlantic. I paid about $100 for the unit without a contract. You can pay by the month and only activate it when you need it. I think it's about $50/month for unlimited data. Sometimes I don't bother with it and just use my iPhone for Internet.

TV: I just bought an antenna from Radio Shack and hooked it up to my TV. I only get the major network, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and a few other random channels. If there's a sporting event I want to watch I go over to Aliante Station and watch in their sports book.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:26 PM

I'll look into the Ooma and Magicjack options as to which might be better for US-Canada rates.
I found that trying to get a straight answer from Cox is like speaking with a bad used car salesman!
Which is the better INTERNET for quality and price?
Any recommendation on Hulu, netflix etc.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:22 PM

33 posts, read 120,945 times
I've just sorted all this out this year as I recently purchased a vacation home here. I use COX for internet. Bought the modem and then just call to activate when I'm here and disconnect when I leave. They offered me the seasonal as well but why bother? They don't have any activation or deactivation charges anyway. I pay $40 per month when I'm there and then nothing when I'm not. Its unlimited and a 3.0 mb/s connection which is plenty fast enough for me to surf, emails and netflix. For TV I have netflix as explained and then I have a Slingbox on my cable TV box at home. It allows you to control your cable box from wherever you live and streams it over the internet to your home. I just hook up my laptop to my LCD TV in Vegas when I'm here. If you google it you will find more information. Works quite well for me. For phone I just got a local pre paid cell through AT&T. 1000 min. for $100 and the phone was free. When I'm at home in Vegas and I need to make any local or long distance calls I just use Google Talk and its all free. All you need is a computer, internet and a microphone. These were the best options I was able to find.

By the way...I did not go with Century Link for internet because they have activation/deactivation charges and their rates are only cheap if your on contract.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:52 AM

3 posts, read 15,575 times
Hi everyone,

This is how I save money. I have Centurylink internet @ 29.99 a month, no contract. I combine that with a (jailbroken) AppleTV2 - retail $99 - I got mine off ebay for $60 and I did the jailbreak. You can also buy a jailbroken one off ebay starting around $129. I have all the movies, Tv and Live Tv I need monthly for free. Monthly cost $29.99 plus tax

Old 03-09-2012, 01:09 PM

Is there a cost to disconnect and reconnect Centurylink on the Cox site it states a 20. reconnection charge.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:53 AM

33 posts, read 120,945 times
I went to a Century Link store few months ago and they specifically told me there is a reconnect charge or I would have gone with them. Unless its changed in the last few months. I also have a Apple TV but for me I am from Canada so I need my local channels (hockey fan) so the slingbox is best for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: