Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:41 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,162,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
online stores come and go. Zappo is not an exception and I don't think it have the edge to grow or continue with all the competitors out there. Especially after they spend so much money just to claim a role in reviving downtown LV.
Which major online stores have come and gone? I have been using the same stores for about 5-10 years now. Ebay, Amazon, Zappos, mom uses Etcy, overstock, Jegs, newegg, surprise, REI...

I dont think I can think of one site that I have used in the past that is not around now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
online stores come and go. Zappo is not an exception and I don't think it have the edge to grow or continue with all the competitors out there. Especially after they spend so much money just to claim a role in reviving downtown LV.
So, Amazon (the worlds largest online retailer) is just going to vanish overnight? After all, they do own Zappos. So basically whatever Zappos is doing, is really Amazon doing it and I don't see Amazon going away. Well at least not in the next 3 months.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:45 AM

11 posts, read 18,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Is First Friday back on? Last I heard it was on hold indefinitely. If it is, that's great.

What about the Western and El Cortez?
I'm not sure when it stopped, but It's been on every first Friday since I moved downtown in October.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:50 AM

11 posts, read 18,383 times
Quote:
Is First Friday back on? Last I heard it was on hold indefinitely. If it is, that's great.

What about the Western and El Cortez?
I'm not sure about the Western, but the El Cortez is open. They sponsor the "Vegas Streats" event in their parking lot across the street from the main entrance on 6th street every month. My kids get ice cream at the 31 flavors in the El Cortez every Sunday!

Old 01-21-2012, 08:46 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,127,019 times
Western is CLOSED....totally.....[finally]....El Cortez will be here til long after hell freezes over....

Old 01-21-2012, 09:09 AM

I won $500 at the Western playing $3.00 in the Megabucks machine. I hope I didn't have anything to do with it closing.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:41 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,127,019 times
Quote:
I won $500 at the Western playing $3.00 in the Megabucks machine. I hope I didn't have anything to do with it closing.
You BROKE it......it's ALL your fault....

Old 01-21-2012, 10:14 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,753 times
100 Best Companies to Work For 2012: Full list - from FORTUNE

Zappos ranks #11 on Fortune Magazine's "Top 100 Company's To Work For" list.

70% job growth in the last year as well.

NICE!!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:55 PM

Free Hotel Stays? Unusual Company Perks - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/free-hotel-stays--unusual-company-perks.html - broken link)

Zappos takes employee of the month recognition to a higher (and weirder) plane with its monthly Hero award programs. To choose a hero, the online retailer sifts through the list of people who received a co-worker bonus. (Every employee is given a $50 monthly allowance to award as a bonus to a colleague).

Old 03-04-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Q. How will you know whether or not the Downtown Project is successful?

HSIEH. In some ways it is like anything is better than empty parking lots. The thing about a city is even outside of Vegas I don't think there is ever a point where people say, "OK. This city is done." There is always something, a way for the city to evolve or be improved. I guess it is kind of analogous to the whole happiness thing. It isn't trying to achieve some end goal; it is about ongoing progress.

Q. Describe what downtown Las Vegas will look like and be like in five years.

HSIEH. Those things we just mentioned have most of the things you need to live, work, play within walking distance, a walkable downtown, make it one of the most community focused large cities in the world. We also have other goals like making it the co-working capital of the world.
Zappos CEO dreams of fixing world by fixing cities - News - ReviewJournal.com

This dude is serious about downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas