Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 3,575 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move for a job at Zappos corporate. So in Henderson (right?) at Green Valley Pkwy and Las Vegas Beltway/Bruce Woodbury Beltway/215 (there's the downfall to local maps - what do the locals actually call the road?!).

We're totally unfamiliar with Vegas beyond being tourists on the strip (so totally unfamiliar!).

We have two children, preschool and elementary, so schools are a top priority. My husband's current commute is about 45 minutes door to door, a combo of driving and public transportation. So, anything under that would be fine, ideally now and post-move downtown.

Our budget would be, say, $200,000 or so.

Ideally, we'd like 4 bedrooms (3 plus a den, something like that - a guest room, basically) and a pool and spa. Seems like a silly list, but anything with 4 bedrooms would be big enough, a pool would mean a fenced yard so that goes without saying and so on.

Any zip code suggestions? Is that a reasonable list or impossible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 03:08 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,079,278 times
Zappos is currently at Green Valley Pkwy and I-215, but they are moving to downtown Las Vegas (near Fremont St.), I believe they'll move either this Dec or next Dec.

Positioning for their move downtown, I'd probably look towards Summerlin. That'd be a bit of a haul to Zappos' current location, but you could probably do it in 45 minutes depending on traffic.

Basically your best schools are either in Summerlin or Green Valley. I don't think you'll be able to get everything you want in those locations at your price point, you'd be looking closer to 250-300k, but you could look in alternate areas or compromise a bit on specs. The housing market right now is very difficult to buy, hardly anything is available for sale at the moment and multiple overs over listing price are standard, especially in good school areas. That said, if banks start dumping foreclosures, that could change, who knows when and if that will happen though.

I'd rent for a year and learn the areas before buying.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:19 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,542,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I'd rent for a year and learn the areas before buying.
good advice.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:24 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,013,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiead View Post
We're considering a move for a job at Zappos corporate. So in Henderson (right?) at Green Valley Pkwy and Las Vegas Beltway/Bruce Woodbury Beltway/215 (there's the downfall to local maps - what do the locals actually call the road?!).

We're totally unfamiliar with Vegas beyond being tourists on the strip (so totally unfamiliar!).

We have two children, preschool and elementary, so schools are a top priority. My husband's current commute is about 45 minutes door to door, a combo of driving and public transportation. So, anything under that would be fine, ideally now and post-move downtown.

Our budget would be, say, $200,000 or so.

Ideally, we'd like 4 bedrooms (3 plus a den, something like that - a guest room, basically) and a pool and spa. Seems like a silly list, but anything with 4 bedrooms would be big enough, a pool would mean a fenced yard so that goes without saying and so on.

Any zip code suggestions? Is that a reasonable list or impossible?
Choose schools, then pick appropriate neighborhoods. Our school system is not particularly good. (We're not New Hampshire, after all.) So finding a more-or-less decent school will be the top priority. The neighborhoods surrounding the good schools are the neighborhoods you want to live in, anyway.

For instance: Our neighborhood is fantastic. But the schools here in Sunrise are among the worst in the valley. So you wouldn't want to be my neighbor. So you can't pick a good neighborhood and then hope the schools are good. You have to start with the school and work from there.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:44 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,825,216 times
Waiting in this market may make things difficult. We are into a steady rise in pricing. A year may make no difference, may save you a few percent or may cost you over 25%.

The obvious is places convenient to Summerlin Pkwy or the 95. Both provide suitable schools and a relatively quick commute to the new Zappos. The poor commuter will suffer a bit to the old Zappos but will make it in the 45 minute range.

zips would be 89134, 89129, 89149, 89131, 89166. Virtually all those areas have good schools. Sort them out by checking the achievement reports at CCSD. Use the number of students at or exceeding standards and treat the number approaching standards and less as a negative. You get pretty good results by just checking the high school district. Palo Verde, Centennial, Arborview and Shadow Ridge are all OK.

If you should decide to locate near the old Zappos just stick to Coronado or Green Valley.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:48 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,013,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
ort them out by checking the achievement reports at CCSD.
Relying on CCSD for school reports is like relying on McDonald's for nutritional advice.

Find school rankings by an outside, unbiased source.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:05 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,825,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Relying on CCSD for school reports is like relying on McDonald's for nutritional advice.

Find school rankings by an outside, unbiased source.
There is no unbiased outside source. NCLB is the best we got and it suitable for a comparison between schools.

All Great Schools and such do is collect that same data and republish it. There really is nothing else.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,575 times
We won't be renting for a year, I'm afraid. That was our plan in our current area (Bellevue, WA) and now it's time to be buying.

We could up the budget if absolutely necessary but I'd much prefer to keep it under 200k and pay it off in half the time. For us, long term, this would be more financially responsible as we already own one home in a significantly higher cost of living area. I've become conservative in my old age.

We'd keep the house in Vegas, even should we move down the road, as we've visited Vegas for years and had always planned to invest in a home somewhere hot.

Also, we would and could very happily do a bunch of renovations so something a little...worn...would be a-okay. I assume we'd do a fair bit of landscaping (remove any grass, go all desert landscaping), redo the kitchen, repaint everything, re-floor, redo bathrooms - so deep cosmetic reno.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:52 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,144,427 times
Here you go

https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...lta-drive.html

Old 08-22-2012, 06:45 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,893,192 times
Try this area. It is nice, safe, and has easy access (under 30 mins) to both locations.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas