Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 12:21 PM

25 posts, read 49,101 times

Advertisements

We are looking for good food and a great atmosphere at a non chain restaurant. (No Roy's, Cut, STK or Morton's)

Anyone try Stripsteak (at Mandalay Bay) or Carve (Eastside Cannery)?
If so what do you think?
If not what is your favorite place?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 12:38 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,865,564 times
I believe Stripsteak is a Michael Mina restaurant, and I've always had good steaks at Michael Mina restaurants. If you order the bone-in ribeye, Emeril's restaurant (Delmonico Steakhouse) in the Venetian is good. Just about every decent resort has a good steakhouse. This seems like a reasonable list: The 10 best steakhouses in Las Vegas - Monday, Feb. 8, 2010 | 10:33 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun. No horrible omissions, or restaurants that truly don't deserve to be on it.

I've never been there, but I seriously doubt Carve should be considered among the best steakhouses in this town. They don't even serve USDA Prime beef.

Last edited by MediocreButArrogant; 12-11-2011 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: Added missing "best" before "steakhouses"

Old 12-11-2011, 04:59 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,996 times
NY NY has Gallagher steak house great food when I went there and good service .

Old 12-11-2011, 08:44 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
I looked at the menu at Stripsteak last night and the prices blew me away. I'd have to mortgage the house to eat there. If you want to impress that's probably the place to go. But if you want great food at reasonable prices in a really nice atmosphere, Wine Five Café.

I'm not a big steak fan so might not be the best critic, but my wife and I have been to Wine Five Cafe for both breakfast and dinner, and it is becoming my new favorite restaurant. I had a steak and loved it. My wife had the fish and also loved it. It gets good reviews, and the best thing about it is the prices are so reasonable. In fact they are unbelievable for the food they serve, both quality and quantity.

Breakfast was great too. Wix.com wine5cafe created by twzo706 based on Country Diner

Another great restaurant, although pricier, is Marché Bacchus. And the setting on the lake makes it the nicest in town. Marche Bacchus - French Bistro & Wine Market (http://marchebacchus.com/flash/ - broken link)

Old 12-11-2011, 10:15 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
I haven't visited since the renovation -- but last time I was there, I would have included Binion's Steak House on the Top 10 list.

USDA Prime, cooked correctly, for easily 1/3 the price of a comparable steak dinner on the Strip. Also had that nice "Mob Vegas" atmosphere. The view can't be beat. And the staff is best described as "a bunch of characters."

The wine list was lacking, but you can't have everything.

Here's the menu:

http://yourrc.com/menus/pdf/VM/1_1909.pdf

(But I don't know if it still brings it like it used to. Recent reviews are encouraging. But I have little reason to go out for steak when I can do better at home for the price of some prime ribeyes. I don't go out much anymore. It's one of the perils of cooking for a living. I'm more interested in a good Hoppin' John, Gumbo, Coq au Vin or Feijoada these days.)

Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 PM

700 posts, read 1,330,309 times
You would be surprised, but the steakhouse in Boulder Station is pretty decent. The name escapes me.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I looked at the menu at Stripsteak last night and the prices blew me away.
$52 is pretty much the going rate for a bone-in ribeye at one of the better steakhouses on the strip. You're not going to get a dry-aged, USDA Prime steak for much less than that. With one exception that I know of, they're all within a few dollars of that. The exception is Carnevino, it is significantly more expensive.

My bone-in ribeye from the last time I ate at Delmonico Steakhouse:
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8718/img0044ol.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-12-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I
USDA Prime, cooked correctly, for easily 1/3 the price of a comparable steak dinner on the Strip. Also had that nice "Mob Vegas" atmosphere. The view can't be beat. And the staff is best described as "a bunch of characters."
I've never seen them claim their beef was USDA Prime, and I've got to believe that if it was, they'd advertise the fact. Also, I'd like to see you price out a meal (excluding wine) that is 1/3rd the price that you'd pay on the strip. Take your pick, any steakhouse other than Carnevino. 1/3rd less I can believe, 1/3rd the total I need proof.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:05 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
$52 is pretty much the going rate for a bone-in rib eye at one of the better steakhouses on the strip. You're not going to get a dry-aged, USDA Prime steak for much less than that. With one exception that I know of, they're all within a few dollars of that. The exception is Carnevino, it is significantly more expensive.

My bone-in rib eye from the last time I ate at Delmonico Steakhouse:
Was your cholesterol a little low before you ate that?

Old 12-12-2011, 07:42 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I've never seen them claim their beef was USDA Prime, and I've got to believe that if it was, they'd advertise the fact. Also, I'd like to see you price out a meal (excluding wine) that is 1/3rd the price that you'd pay on the strip. Take your pick, any steakhouse other than Carnevino. 1/3rd less I can believe, 1/3rd the total I need proof.
It was USDA Prime last time I was there. I visited the kitchen and saw first hand.

To put it in perspective, a rib-eye meal at Craftsteak without wine runs about $200. A rib-eye meal at Binion's is $50. That's 25% of the total.

But that's assuming they're running things the way they did before the renovation, which I cannot speak for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas