Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 PM

719 posts, read 1,483,621 times

Advertisements

[quote=bayview6;22027596]Good advice:

"
I followed a 18 wheeler from about 30 feet at 45mph until well past the Texas border. Needless to say I saw a lot of cars uturn as soon as we hit the blizzard.
[quote]

that is what I did too. we hit snow in Memphis and New Mexico and AZ. I found a semi truck, got behind it and followed its tail lights. It was something my dad taught me to do years ago and it pays off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
30-50 for a motel 6? They charge rack rate if you don't have a reservation. It was 85. In Omaha. 1st and last time for a Motel6 for me. They can leave the light on for someone else.

In Little Rock we did the Motel 6 thing. and it was horrible. Crackhead city banging on the doors around us all night long.
In Amarillo we passed up Motel 6 and stopped at Americas Best Value Inn... they were AWESOME. Clean, quiet room, very helpful staff. 35 bucks a night including all taxes.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:58 PM

4,505 posts, read 8,897,441 times
[quote=Traveler500;22014266]I am going to leave friday and drive straight to Las Vegas, hopefully to arrive around sunday night. I plan on driving straight and sleeping in my car. I will bring a blanket and pillow and sleep in the front seat. I will only go to sleep when I am so tired that sleeping will be easy in my 2 seater car.

My GPS tells me to go I80-I76-I70-I15

Do you think this route is the smart route, or should I travel more south?
During December you may encounter snow and ice on any route you take from NYC to Las Vegas. If you take I-80, I-76, I-70 then I-15 into Vegas you will have some serious mountain terrain to cover from Denver West. Icy roads on hills are nasty but MOST of the drivers you will encounter in Colorado and Utah have extensive experience on slick and snowy conditions plus the road crews are better.

Even on the Southern routes (I-80 to I-55 South to I-44 to I-40 then Hwy 89? North to Vegas) you stand a good chance of running on icy roads. The terrain may be flatter in Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas but icy conditions are something the Southern drivers are not used to driving on so the IDIOTS on ice are more common. A good set of four studded snow tires will make your trip easier where they are LEGAL.

Take your pick: Idiots on ice or YOU driving on ice. If you are an experienced driver on icy roads and have good equipment any route will be OK and the Northern route shorter.

Good Luck,

GL2

Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 PM

[quote=Gunluvver2;22141799]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler500 View Post
icy conditions are something the Southern drivers are not used to driving on so the IDIOTS on ice are more common. A good set of four studded snow tires will make your trip easier where they are LEGAL.

Take your pick: Idiots on ice or YOU driving on ice. If you are an experienced driver on icy roads and have good equipment any route will be OK and the Northern route shorter.

Good Luck,

GL2
so you believe that lack of experience automatically makes someone an idiot?

Old 12-15-2011, 11:12 PM

280 posts, read 574,287 times
Oops I guess your already here.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
Take I-70 west through Indianapolis, pick up 44 west in St. Louis, angle down to Oklahoma City, pick up 40 West to Kingman, then 93 up to Las Vegas. Most of that stretch should be OK (pending weather), as you get closer you may need to be careful in New Mexico & around Flagstaff, AZ.
As a truck driver that drives these routes (both 70 and 40) often, I would have to agree with the above. Just keep in mind the weather and I-44 from Joplin,MO to OKC is a toll road (according to the OTA (Okie Turnpike Auth), there is 4 cash boxes along the way $2 a piece for a 2 axle)

Last edited by LVNVTrucker; 12-15-2011 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 12-16-2011, 12:43 AM

670 posts, read 1,108,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVNVTrucker View Post
Oops I guess your already here.......
As a truck driver that drives these routes (both 70 and 40) often, I would have to agree with the above. Just keep in mind the weather and I-44 from Joplin,MO to OKC is a toll road (according to the OTA (Okie Turnpike Auth), there is 4 cash boxes along the way $2 a piece for a 2 axle)
+1 for this route. I drove cross country for work for over a decade and just drove this route a few weeks ago making my move from Vermont to Las Vegas.

Best of luck on your trip,

Old 12-16-2011, 12:46 AM

670 posts, read 1,108,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
In Little Rock we did the Motel 6 thing. and it was horrible. Crackhead city banging on the doors around us all night long.
In Amarillo we passed up Motel 6 and stopped at Americas Best Value Inn... they were AWESOME. Clean, quiet room, very helpful staff. 35 bucks a night including all taxes.
Motel 6 can be real hit or miss. I tried one on my trip out a few weeks from VT to Las Vegas and requested a non-smoking room. It was like sleeping in an ash tray.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
Motel 6 can be real hit or miss. I tried one on my trip out a few weeks from VT to Las Vegas and requested a non-smoking room. It was like sleeping in an ash tray.
Yeah, I won't use them again. The Little Rock experience cured me for life.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:04 AM

4,505 posts, read 8,897,441 times
[quote=SouthernSarah;22142053]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post

so you believe that lack of experience automatically makes someone an idiot?
I am sorry if I offended you Sarah. No, lack of experience does not make you an idiot on ice. Lack of common sense does. Wouldn't "common sense" tell you that when you are driving on a slick (ice) surface you should not attempt any sudden changes in direction or speed?

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: