Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:08 AM

53 posts, read 98,494 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to LV from the East Coast in late April/beginning of May. Because of my moving budget, I am looking at driving a U-Haul truck and towing a car on a car-transport. I really want to stay on a 4-lane Interstate Highway all the way. What will be the best route to take? I-80, I-70 or because there may be still some winter like condition in the Rockies, I-40 further south will be better? Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 07:24 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,829,220 times
I-70 to St. Louis and then take the south by-pass to I-44 (to OKC) where you get on I-40.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 AM

932 posts, read 2,348,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi88 View Post
I am thinking of moving to LV from the East Coast in late April/beginning of May. Because of my moving budget, I am looking at driving a U-Haul truck and towing a car on a car-transport. I really want to stay on a 4-lane Interstate Highway all the way. What will be the best route to take? I-80, I-70 or because there may be still some winter like condition in the Rockies, I-40 further south will be better? Thanks for the advice.
"The East Coast" is a pretty vague description. If you're coming from Maine, the route is going to be different than if you're coming from Florida. If you'd like specific answers, you need to provide specific information.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the advice, bayview6. I am starting from around Morristown, NJ and the 3 routes suggested by Google were I-80, I-70 and the route described by bayview6.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:03 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,320,560 times
I took I-80 out of Ohio in August; female driver hauling two big dogs. Diciest part would be Colorado. Was pulled over twice for speeding and just warned. Took me 3.5 days in extreme heat. Very doable though.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:27 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
After you see the price of the Uhaul rental, and the gas involved, you might want to start selling some of your things, to keep the moving costs lower...

But I took 1-10 the first time, very boring.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:09 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
My FIL is a truck driver and he also recommended Bayview's route. My youngest took the 40 to get back to the New York area from Vegas shortly after Sandy hit and didn't encounter any weather issues. Just a speeding ticket. Kids!

Old 11-28-2012, 02:12 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,641 times
I just drove from Boston to LV in October. No U-Haul cost too much cheaper to buy stuff here than haul it. We took I 90 west the I 80 we detoured off at Kearney Neb. to go see friends in Albuquerque NM. The trip took 6 days we had 1 dog and cat with us. We stayed at Motel 6 all of the way because they are pet friendly and do not charge for them. The most challenging part of the trip was driving through Iowa,Neb. and the upper part of Colorado. I have seen enough corn fields to last me a life time. You must be glad of getting out of NJ. Take your time and enjoy the trip LV will be here if the trip takes 1 or 2 days longer. I would hope you consider selling off stuff before you leave or look at shipping Fed EX they have some great prices. If I had to do it over more stuff would have been sent Fed Ex but we did not know how cheap it was and shipped before we left. I also put a luggage rack on the roof of the car and bought a 15 cu ft travel bag and packed it full of clothes. So we traveled in 10 states to get here including Ma.and Nevada. and that first palm tree coming into LV looked good. Good luck traveling.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:22 PM

Thanks for all the inputs. Much as I would like to sell my stuff, they would not fetch much (and I cannot just dump them on the sidewalk for garbage pickup. I actually may have to pay someone to haul them away) and the replacement cost for furniture is very high. I come to realize material possession is really a burden, when I look at such a long move. I know renting a U Haul, a car transport and gas will be costly, but the saving from not having to pay the high state income tax after I moved to LV will pay for the move in a year.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:14 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,829,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi88 View Post
Thanks for all the inputs. Much as I would like to sell my stuff, they would not fetch much (and I cannot just dump them on the sidewalk for garbage pickup. I actually may have to pay someone to haul them away) and the replacement cost for furniture is very high. I come to realize material possession is really a burden, when I look at such a long move. I know renting a U Haul, a car transport and gas will be costly, but the saving from not having to pay the high state income tax after I moved to LV will pay for the move in a year.
Plus you will not have to spend time to buy the stuff all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas