Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:39 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,742 times

Advertisements

more traditional homes with mature landscaping?

I have seen those mid century houses - yuck -I grew up in one of those..never again...

any brick homes? four squares? colonials? even an older spanish colonial would be great..I am just so sick of all those bloated stucco balloons with the faux fronts and postage stamp lots...

Also is there an area that looks like Greenwich Village with small funky local shops, neat coffee houses where the colleged heads or brainiacs hang out?

looking for the anithesis of the strip and the stuccoed to death subdivisions...lol

We may have to take a job there...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
more traditional homes with mature landscaping?

I have seen those mid century houses - yuck -i grew up in one of those..never again...

Any brick homes? Four squares? Colonials? Even an older spanish colonial would be great..i am just so sick of all those bloated stucco balloons with the faux fronts and postage stamp lots...

Also is there an area that looks like greenwich village with small funky local shops, neat coffee houses where the colleged heads or brainiacs hang out?

Looking for the anithesis of the strip and the stuccoed to death subdivisions...lol

we may have to take a job there...thanks
Nope...

Last edited by MomMom; 02-26-2009 at 09:22 AM..

Old 02-26-2009, 09:47 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,666,553 times
Hmmm...if you close your eyes and pretend really hard, you can pull it off. I know that it's not much, but it works for Lex.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:28 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
There is the "Town House" area...basically east of Eastern, south of Sahara, north of Trop.

Up in price a bit you can likely find what you want in McNeil or the Scotch 80s or Section 10. The 1/2 acres in the NW and SW often would meet your spec. All these start at around 300 and go to the millions. Parts of McNeil are a little less expensive.

There are a couple of places where you can walk to things. Downtown...Lake Mead and Buffalo...Smoke Ranch and Rainbow.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:44 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
I think you'd better give up on trying to find an area of Vegas that replicates the East Coast- I can think of one Victorian-style home up in the northwest (can't remember the exact location), but no colonials, four-squares, etc. There's an older gated community over in Green Valley that has some very mature landscaping and homes that have some of the sprawling CA ranch look from the 60's/70's (can't remember the name off hand), but that's the closest you're going to get to something other than the stucco/tile roof look.

Same goes for trying to find a Greenwich Village-esque area- there's some small shopping centers in various parts of town, but no centralized repository of kitchy shops, etc.

Welcome to Vegas!!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:48 AM

37 posts, read 101,549 times
There's a neighborhood, off of Decatur, I think North of Craig, that reminds me of MI.... just barely though.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 AM

252 posts, read 906,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post

Also is there an area that looks like Greenwich Village with small funky local shops, neat coffee houses where the colleged heads or brainiacs hang out?
hahahahahah! NO way. I so wish there were such an area though. Most everything is strip malls.

I have found one independent (ie not starbucks) coffee shop here that I marginally like, but it's not really that great.

If you're coming from NYC.... i think you might have some culture shock, or lack of culture shock.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:55 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I think you'd better give up on trying to find an area of Vegas that replicates the East Coast- I can think of one Victorian-style home up in the northwest (can't remember the exact location), but no colonials, four-squares, etc. There's an older gated community over in Green Valley that has some very mature landscaping and homes that have some of the sprawling CA ranch look from the 60's/70's (can't remember the name off hand), but that's the closest you're going to get to something other than the stucco/tile roof look.

Same goes for trying to find a Greenwich Village-esque area- there's some small shopping centers in various parts of town, but no centralized repository of kitchy shops, etc.

Welcome to Vegas!!
Actually there are two Victorians...one a home brew. And right next to one of the geodisic domes. We have a massive tudor across the street. Aside from the palm trees it could be in Jersey or Conneticut. Cul-de-sac around the corner is all brick...nice too...but they are ranch style.

Some of the cul-de-sacs and little tracts near Lone Mountain could easily be eastern if you got rid of the palm trees and cacti. And great expanses of places like Palomino/Scotch 80s and related could be anywhere.

I agree no Greenwich Village. Boulder City does a pretty good Mayberry though.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:01 PM

844 posts, read 2,101,984 times
What is wrong with stucco? If I wanted brick, I'd stay with the Midwest...

Old 02-26-2009, 04:08 PM

269 posts, read 977,078 times
The C gates at McCarran kinda look like the gates at BWI...except for the slot machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: