Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 04:08 AM

815 posts, read 2,052,435 times

Advertisements

Who (owner or renter) is responsible for monthly maintainence? special assessments? property taxes? for condos in NV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 04:31 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
Who (owner or renter) is responsible for monthly maintainence? special assessments? property taxes? for condos in NV?
You are ultimately responsible for everything. The first thing you need to find out is how much similar units rent for in your area. Hopefully it will cover your costs. Make sure you have reserves to protect yourself against the unexpected. I would also suggest that you get a book to educate yourself. Good Luck!

Old 11-20-2011, 04:47 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Renter's are responsible for monthly maintenance. But the owner is responsible for special assessments and property taxes. The owner may also configure them into the rent.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:12 AM

412 posts, read 915,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Renter's are responsible for monthly maintenance. But the owner is responsible for special assessments and property taxes. The owner may also configure them into the rent.
If the person is referring to the HOA dues as "monthly maintenance," the owner is responsible for that.
The owner is responsible for the payment of everything and needs to charge enough rent to cover all the expenses. Tenants usually pay utility bills on top of rent, but it would be safer for the owner to have the utility statements go to them so they see the balance every month and are able to verify the bills are being paid.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:03 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tires View Post
If the person is referring to the HOA dues as "monthly maintenance," the owner is responsible for that.
The owner is responsible for the payment of everything and needs to charge enough rent to cover all the expenses. Tenants usually pay utility bills on top of rent, but it would be safer for the owner to have the utility statements go to them so they see the balance every month and are able to verify the bills are being paid.
Any landlord who keeps the utilities in their own name is stupid. I can see it now... $1000 water bill. Pops..

Depends on the lease.. My tenants pay separate for hoa

Old 11-20-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Any landlord who keeps the utilities in their own name is stupid. I can see it now... $1000 water bill. Pops..

Depends on the lease.. My tenants pay separate for hoa

You should just add the cost of HOA to your monthly rent amount and have enough security deposit to cover tenants skipping out on last month's utilities. If I was a tenant, I would think it sounds shady to be asked to pay HOA separately like the landlord was advertising an artificially low rent and then adding unexpected hidden fees later. Why do that since HOA is a flat amount that should have been budgeted into the required rent payment? The tenant is not a member of the HOA and you are still responsible for the HOA payments if the tenants don't pay it. Same as mortgage/property taxes and insurance. You don't have the tenants make those payments. You collect the rent and use the money to pay those bills yourself so you are 100% sure they are being paid.
If the utility bills are not paid, sometimes a lien can be placed on the home even if the bill was in the tenants name. You are better off seeing the utility bill balances every month so you know multiple months of unpaid bills are not stacking up just before the tenants skip town. You can forward the bills to the tenants and monitor when the utility payments are posted.
Sometimes you can get a master account on utilities where the account is billed to the tenant's name, but you can still monitor the account and verify the tenants are paying. If they are late paying it, you can then contact the tenant to remind them about paying the bill or start evicting them if they don't pay.

Last edited by Tires; 11-20-2011 at 01:32 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 05:01 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tires View Post
I figured the OP was referring to regular maintenance inside the place, not the outside blowing leaves off rock,etc, since there are no lawns to mow here.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:13 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,764,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
Landlord pays for EVERYTHING... including personal liability insurance.

I lived in a condo and the neighbor (a renter) fell down the 3 steps leading down to her carport. She broke her leg but the worst part was she was 8 months pregnant. The hubby went out and got a high powered attorney who took their case on contingency (personal injury cases have a high degree of successful compensation awards), long story short, the owner ended up paying all her medical bills plus pain and suffering because there was no handrail installed. His ROI took a bit of a hit.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I figured the OP was referring to regular maintenance inside the place, not the outside blowing leaves off rock,etc, since there are no lawns to mow here.
Maybe. The wording was not clear since some people call HOA dues "maintenance fees." So, we have to guess what the party really meant to say.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:01 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,220 times
It's all negotiable. The majority of landlords will set a rent price high enough to enable them to pay HOA fees, pool guy, lawn guy from the rent and still make it worth their effort. The tenant pays the rent and utilities. I have been paying the sewer bill for my rentals since it only comes once a year. Also, by paying for the lawn care and pool maintenance personally, I ensure that it is indeed paid and that there are no interruptions in service. Insurance is a landlords policy that covers the dwelling but not the contents.

Good luck,
Croce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas