Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 01:11 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,310,775 times

Advertisements

Try "Smart TV." In the phone book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:21 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,525,834 times
What's a phone book?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,025,905 times
What is a "book"? My reading material is electronically sent.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:52 AM

75 posts, read 138,202 times
Try demagnifying the TV screen. It sounds like it got some static. If you don't have one you can get one at Radio Shack for about 10 bucks.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:00 AM

525 posts, read 900,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Probably a Vizio from Wal-Mart.
I just bought a Vizio from walmart.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:36 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,012,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlf View Post
Try demagnifying the TV screen. It sounds like it got some static. If you don't have one you can get one at Radio Shack for about 10 bucks.
Do you mean degaussing? It's a DLP screen -- basically a rear projection TV. I was under the impression there isn't any static to build up on one of those. The TV uses photons, not electrons, to create the image.

We also have a Mitsubishi DLP, that we bought three years ago back when Ultimate Electronics was still in business.

Are you leaving the TV on for long periods of time with nobody watching? Don't. The projection bulb life is measured in hours. About 8,000 hours if memory serves. A new bulb might (MIGHT) fix things -- but if it doesn't you're out the same $130 (or so, shop around). But at least that's user serviceable.

The TV also has settings for "quick power on" (which sucks up electricity even when the TV is "off") and "slow power on" which increases bulb life. Guess which setting we use, being the notorious tightwads that we are?

You can also try the "picture mode" "deep field imager" and "lamp mode" settings and see if any of those make a difference.

My advice? Find a forum for DLP TV owners and ask about the black spots. I'll bet someone out there knows exactly what is wrong based on your symptoms, and can better advise you on whether to try to fix or replace.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:01 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,525,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Do you mean degaussing?
I thought one did that in the bathroom!

Old 10-05-2011, 01:42 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,871,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
My advice? Find a forum for DLP TV owners and ask about the black spots. I'll bet someone out there knows exactly what is wrong based on your symptoms, and can better advise you on whether to try to fix or replace.
The rear-projection display forum at AVSForum.com is probably the most active. There are threads in that forum on how to disassemble a Mits DLP for cleaning (probably needed once every couple years in a dusty environment) and how to replace bad capacitors on the power module. I've done both repairs on two different Mits DLPs (not my own) and saved the owners thousands of dollars. There are dozens and dozens of posts about black spots on Mits and Samsung DLPs.

My guess is that your problem is probably dust landing on the front surface mirror, that was dislodged when your kids were banging on the TV (black AND white spots are a symptom of a more serious problem, DMD failure). Years ago when I tried to get someone out to clean a Mits DLP no one in town was interested in doing the work. That's when I printed out the instructions from the Mits DLP cleaning thread on AVSForum and cleaned the TV myself. The picture was improved so dramatically after the cleaning it was like getting a new TV.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:09 PM

250 posts, read 1,113,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
The rear-projection display forum at AVSForum.com is probably the most active. There are threads in that forum on how to disassemble a Mits DLP for cleaning (probably needed once every couple years in a dusty environment) and how to replace bad capacitors on the power module. I've done both repairs on two different Mits DLPs (not my own) and saved the owners thousands of dollars. There are dozens and dozens of posts about black spots on Mits and Samsung DLPs.

My guess is that your problem is probably dust landing on the front surface mirror, that was dislodged when your kids were banging on the TV (black AND white spots are a symptom of a more serious problem, DMD failure). Years ago when I tried to get someone out to clean a Mits DLP no one in town was interested in doing the work. That's when I printed out the instructions from the Mits DLP cleaning thread on AVSForum and cleaned the TV myself. The picture was improved so dramatically after the cleaning it was like getting a new TV.
Thanks, I've been a member of AVS for a couple years and it's a great community. I posted this problem on there first, unfortunately the searches I did on there and google were unsuccessful. The black spots are really not spots within the picture, but a large blob near the bottom of the screen (directly on the inside of the screen) and I now believe the problem is a result of my kids playing with squirt guns. Maybe something I can wipe off from the inside. The black blobs are now mainly really light gray streaks and in some areas it is completely gone. Someone on AVS finally just posted a suggestion. I'm gonna give it some more time to see if goes away completely on it's own and then maybe try the suggestion from AVS.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:17 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,012,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
Thanks, I've been a member of AVS for a couple years and it's a great community. I posted this problem on there first, unfortunately the searches I did on there and google were unsuccessful. The black spots are really not spots within the picture, but a large blob near the bottom of the screen (directly on the inside of the screen) and I now believe the problem is a result of my kids playing with squirt guns. Maybe something I can wipe off from the inside. The black blobs are now mainly really light gray streaks and in some areas it is completely gone. Someone on AVS finally just posted a suggestion. I'm gonna give it some more time to see if goes away completely on it's own and then maybe try the suggestion from AVS.
Have you tried fiddling with the AV menu settings? What happens (if anything) when you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas