Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 02:15 PM

24 posts, read 144,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Be caereful who you listen to.

Summerlin is generally considered Northwest and is problably the nicest single area of Las Vegas. Probably 50% of the nice housing in Las Vegas is in the NW and North.
I thought Summerlin was considered South West? I was under the impression that if you take the Vegas map and divide it evenly into quarters, Summerlin would fall in the upper part of the lower left. Is this not the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 03:26 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,732,203 times
Quote:
Boca is Fort Apache Charleston. Within a half mile there is a condo conversion Park One which I would not recommend which is available in your price range. That is it. You can pick up a townhouse in Queensridge or a small home in Peccole starting at 300K.

At one mile there are some choices. Small homes and purpose built condos to the east.

Far and away for easy walking is the Qridge Townhouses. But they are 300K and have 175 per month fees.

There are lots of choices around Rainbow Lake Mead. Particularly livable are the areas around Smoke Ranch & Rainbow. I would walk in this area. I would be more cautious to the east and south.

Under no circumstances would I walk along Maryland after dark. That would simply be asking for trouble. Might be OK by car but not walking.
I walked down Maryland many times after dark, it is very safe, because there's always people walking on the sidewalks watching and plenty of cars around and plenty of bright lights...

Old 08-19-2007, 06:05 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,401,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janesmithjanesmith View Post
I thought Summerlin was considered South West? I was under the impression that if you take the Vegas map and divide it evenly into quarters, Summerlin would fall in the upper part of the lower left. Is this not the case?
Nope. For historic reasons the "west side" was already spoken for. So the western portion was divided into the southwest and northwest with Charleston generally as the dividing line. Most of Summerlin is north of Charleston though there is a large piece south of Charleston. The piece of Summerlin north of Charleston is also in the City of Las Vegas while the southern part is in unincorporated Clark County.

The inner south west...Summerlin, Peccole, the Lakes, Canyon Gate, Spring Valley, Spanish Hills, Spanish Trails is all OK. As is the Inner Northwest of Summerlin, Desert Shores, Smoke Ranch, Centennial Hills, The RNPs Centennial Town etc. They cover a range from the tens of millions to a few hundred thousand. They range in age from new to 25 years old.

You really have to get down to the individual tracts to differentiate.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
I walked down Maryland many times after dark, it is very safe, because there's always people walking on the sidewalks watching and plenty of cars around and plenty of bright lights...
I would note kid that teenagers are braver, dumber and much faster than old men.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:12 PM

24 posts, read 144,680 times
Quote:
Nope. For historic reasons the "west side" was already spoken for. So the western portion was divided into the southwest and northwest with Charleston generally as the dividing line. Most of Summerlin is north of Charleston though there is a large piece south of Charleston. The piece of Summerlin north of Charleston is also in the City of Las Vegas while the southern part is in unincorporated Clark County.

The inner south west...Summerlin, Peccole, the Lakes, Canyon Gate, Spring Valley, Spanish Hills, Spanish Trails is all OK. As is the Inner Northwest of Summerlin, Desert Shores, Smoke Ranch, Centennial Hills, The RNPs Centennial Town etc. They cover a range from the tens of millions to a few hundred thousand. They range in age from new to 25 years old.

You really have to get down to the individual tracts to differentiate.
Thanks! Great information!

Old 08-19-2007, 07:00 PM

818 posts, read 3,711,737 times
Are you going to have a vehicle? If you're walks are just for the sake of walking and to get some exercise once in a while, then the suburban locations are perfect. If you need to walk to get most of your errands done, then you might want to live closer to the core, and laugh in the face of danger.

Generally speaking, nobody in this city walks to do their shopping unless they have no car. Especially this time of year.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:11 PM

229 posts, read 818,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
Generally speaking, nobody in this city walks to do their shopping unless they have no car. Especially this time of year.
Chest nailed it. Walkers (except for the early morning power walker) are rare. If it's not hot as hell, it's hot and windy as hell, so unless you are picking up something in a can or a box, it's foolish and uncomfortable. I guess the two Winter months or the two weeks of Spring are good for walking to shops.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
Are you going to have a vehicle? If you're walks are just for the sake of walking and to get some exercise once in a while, then the suburban locations are perfect. If you need to walk to get most of your errands done, then you might want to live closer to the core, and laugh in the face of danger.

Aw comeon...one of the problems with the core is that they can't convince anybody to locate anything worth walking to close enough.

Boca and Smoke Ranch are much better than Hunt Ridge.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:31 PM

713 posts, read 2,728,005 times
Men's Fitness magazine proclaimed Las Vegas to be "The Fattest City in the United States." Having had lived there (and once thinking I was going to pass out halfway across a residential street during the month of July) I wouldnt advise walking anywhere unless very early, very late, or in the dead of winter. Mens Polls | Fun | Surveys

Old 08-19-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
Men's Fitness magazine proclaimed Las Vegas to be "The Fattest City in the United States." Having had lived there (and once thinking I was going to pass out halfway across a residential street during the month of July) I wouldnt advise walking anywhere unless very early, very late, or in the dead of winter. Mens Polls | Fun | Surveys
I hear you. But you know I was out doing a task in Sun City Summerlin at a little after 1:00 this afternoon when I was confronted by a vehicle and 15 or 20 bicyclists blocking an intersection. Apparently a support vehicle giving out water and goodies. It was 102. The bicyclists rode away.

They must not know how hot it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas