Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 09:09 AM

39 posts, read 128,158 times

Advertisements

We are relocating and can choose where we would like to go. We will be moving for a job, so employment is not an issue. Our top choices are the Woodlands in TX and Chandler AZ. We are on the fence about Henderson. There are some wonderful things about Henderson, such as no state income tax, nice weather, inexpensive housing and cheap flights for people to visit us. We have visited Henderson and thought that it was beautiful. We would be moving to the area which feeds to Coronado High School. Good schools and a good place to raise our young kids is top priority. We plan to stay, so high schools will be important too. I know that Vegas has awful schools, but the schools in the area we are looking are top rated. I am a professional, but will be a stay at home mom when we move. There is so much negative information about Henderson/Vegas. I am hoping that Henderson is just like any other nice suburb and not influenced by the Strip, but my research isn't fully supporting that hope. I have been told (and I have been doing a ton of research) everything from Henderon is a nice place to live to it is awful, lots of crime, etc. I am Jewish and like that there is a Synagogue in Henderson, which is not the case in some of other cities we are looking- many places would require a 1/2 hour drive. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 09:22 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,047,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingaboutmoving11 View Post
We are relocating and can choose where we would like to go. We will be moving for a job, so employment is not an issue.
Assuming the company/branch is still in business three weeks from now.

This is Las Vegas. Employment is ALWAYS an issue.

Also, the [Enter] key is a beautiful thing, and says it misses you.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:43 AM

I am seeking advice about moving, not critiques on editing choices. My husband's job is such that his employment is not dependant on where he is physically located, thus please just take me at my word that employment is not an issue. I would love advice about Henderson. If you are seeking to correct me about employment status, please do not respond.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:02 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,202,432 times
ahhhhh Sense of humor transplants.....Second Aisle over.....

Old 08-13-2011, 10:34 AM

719 posts, read 1,483,538 times
Hi there,
Don't mind the regulars. (shoving Dyn and Scoop). They like to give people a hard time, but when you get to know them, they are cool.... they still give everyone a hard time, but they have a great sense of humor. I too am moving to Henderson. I also read the negative comments everywhere about moving to Las Vegas in general. I figure since I live a productive, quiet, life, I won't have much trouble.
My interests are going to bookstores, yard sales and writers groups, so I don't imagine I will run into a whole lot of criminal activity in my new Henderson life.
I have heard that people will approach you in store parking lots with various scams... but believe me, I don't play. I have no problem yelling, Get the heII away from me you freaking moron!!!!" before they even get close.
I have a Goddaughter who lives in NYC. She works for Carnegie Hall. She deals with much more at 23 than I will deal with in Henderson at my age.
She says it's all about minding your own business, doing your own thing and remaining aware of surroundings when out shopping etc.
If you do decide to move, let me know in DM.
I have decided to start a "Las Vegas Newcomers Club" right after the holidays. I figure a bunch of us can meet up once a month for a potluck/social event and network about the best shopping areas, schools, clubs etc.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:40 AM

(smackin Sarah back] Its the HUMOR Sarah, the HUMOR.....

Old 08-13-2011, 10:49 AM

Thanks! Sadly, a year or so of stressing out about where to move has probably eroded my sense of humour

Do you know if people approaching you in parking lots and the like occurs in Henderson as well? I am pretty assertive and am not concerned about falling for anything, but I don't like the idea of that type of thing occuring in my neighborhood. I have lived in NY, just outside of the city , and never encountered anything like that. The only time I was approached was when I was in the city itself. I am hoping that nice areas of Henderson are immune from that element. If not, it is probably not the best choice for my family.

I am looking for a nice safe suburb with good schools and, subject to job openings, we can choose anywhere in the country to live. There is an opening in Vegas right now. I would love if Henderson fits this mold, since there are several other appealing things to me about moving to the area. However, I don't want to fool myself into think Henderson is a great place, immune from the strip influence, and then learn that I am mistaken once it is too late.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:54 AM

You'll find parking lot panhandlers in EVERY area of the country now....it's a sign of the times

In fact you're probably more likely to fnd them in affluent neighborhoods.

They are relatively harmless for the MOST part and anyone that has EVER expperienced NYC should have NO problem

"AAA YOU TAWKIN A ME?!!!!!"

Old 08-13-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
I have no problem yelling, Get the heII away from me you freaking moron!!!!" before they even get close.
That was YOU SARAH....?!!!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2011, 11:08 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,302,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingaboutmoving11 View Post
Thanks! Sadly, a year or so of stressing out about where to move has probably eroded my sense of humour

Do you know if people approaching you in parking lots and the like occurs in Henderson as well? I am pretty assertive and am not concerned about falling for anything, but I don't like the idea of that type of thing occuring in my neighborhood. I have lived in NY, just outside of the city , and never encountered anything like that. The only time I was approached was when I was in the city itself. I am hoping that nice areas of Henderson are immune from that element. If not, it is probably not the best choice for my family.

I am looking for a nice safe suburb with good schools and, subject to job openings, we can choose anywhere in the country to live. There is an opening in Vegas right now. I would love if Henderson fits this mold, since there are several other appealing things to me about moving to the area. However, I don't want to fool myself into think Henderson is a great place, immune from the strip influence, and then learn that I am mistaken once it is too late.
For cities of more than 200,000 Henderson is in the lowest crime group of 5 or 6...perhaps the best five percent or so of US cities. There is no city in the US that is significantly better and only a few that are about the same.

Coronado is a fine school and the feeder schools to it are all pretty good. The good schools in Las Vegas are quite good...the bad schools are awful. There are no bad schools around Green Valley Ranch.

Synagogues are present in Henderson over the normal range...Reform to Chabad. There is also a significant Jewish community centered in Summerlin which has the Adelson School. Very similar to Green Valley Ranch area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas