Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 05:00 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,436,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
When I retired last year, I had my choice of any city in the country in which to live. I chose Las Vegas. But I chose Las Vegas specifically because of the Strip and wanted to live in close proximity to it.

After reading your posts, I do not think that you'd be happy anywhere in the valley. Las Vegas is not like other major metropolitan areas that have traditional suburbs surrounding a central downtown core. It is all one big area. Now you can interpret that to mean that it is all one big city or that it is all suburbs and no city, but either way, you can't equate it to how most metropolitan areas are structured.

In other words, if you object to the Las Vegas lifestyle on moralistic grounds, you're not going to be able to hide from it in Henderson.
Excellent post, everything you said. I'd also have to agree that she wouldn't be happy here, but you never know. I think she's just heard a lot of negative stuff. You just can't know Las Vegas until you live here at least six months to a year, and have learned about all the great things both in town, and those from within an hour to several hours' drive away. When we first came here my first wife hightailed it for home after about two or three months. After a couple of months back there she realized how much nicer Las Vegas is, and hightailed it back. After we became established, a team of horses couldn't have dragged her away from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 05:23 PM

719 posts, read 1,482,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
(smackin Sarah back] Its the HUMOR Sarah, the HUMOR.....
BUUUUZZZZZZZZZZ!!! DYN just smacked me!!! Can I put him on time out or something?

Old 08-13-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
That was YOU SARAH....?!!!!!!!!
Why, yes, yes it was. (spit shining my byiotch badge)

Old 08-13-2011, 05:31 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,436,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingaboutmoving11 View Post
Is there good fishing and camping in relatively close proximity?
In Henderson you would be 20 to 30 minutes from the largest man made lake in the western hemisphere, Lake Mead. As far as fishing and camping a short drive away, probably the number two reason people live here is that there is so much to do outdoors within 30 minutes to a full day in all directions from Las Vegas. This town is in the center of the most beautiful parts of this country. One thing you'd learn here is that it means nothing to us in the west to jump in the car and drive all day to get somewhere really nice, because once out of town the road is yours. Very little traffic in the desert except for I-15 south to Los Angeles. Which, by the way, should be a consideration in your decision. With all there is to do in LA, most of us go there at least now and then, and many go every weekend.

As far as camping, it also depends on what you consider camping. There is anything from day use areas in the mountains to serious backpacking. Mt Charleston is less than 30 minutes from where I live in the Valley, and probably 60 to 90 minutes from Henderson.

As for good trout fishing, there is the Colorado River, but the best places are at lakes and ponds north of here pretty much throughout Nevada, and southern Utah. But probably the most well known is a place called Eagle Valley, about 3½ hours north. They all have rustic campgrounds near the lakes.

Zion National Park is 3½ hours north, the Grand Canyon is about 4½ hrs. (Lake Mead is actually the lower end of the Grand Canyon). Southern Utah, beginning roughly 90 minutes north on I-15, has more state and National parks than anywhere in the country. Arizona has some really nice places like Oak Creek Canyon, and the town of Sedona, which is what I call a tiny version of Santa Fe, NM, (which by the way is also a great get away from Las Vegas). Flagstaff, AZ, is a nice town to get away too.

I'm sure you've heard that we can snow ski and water ski in the same day. And there is world class skiing at Brian Head, UT, less than 4 hours away.

People are amazed at all we have to do. I've been here most of my life and I still learn about places to go even though my wife and I spent most of our weekends for years and years, hiking, camping, fishing, skiing, exploring the area, etc., etc.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Sadly, a year or so of stressing out about where to move has probably eroded my sense of humour

Do you know if people approaching you in parking lots and the like occurs in Henderson as well? I am pretty assertive and am not concerned about falling for anything, but I don't like the idea of that type of thing occuring in my neighborhood. I have lived in NY, just outside of the city , and never encountered anything like that. The only time I was approached was when I was in the city itself. I am hoping that nice areas of Henderson are immune from that element. If not, it is probably not the best choice for my family.

I am looking for a nice safe suburb with good schools and, subject to job openings, we can choose anywhere in the country to live. There is an opening in Vegas right now. I would love if Henderson fits this mold, since there are several other appealing things to me about moving to the area. However, I don't want to fool myself into think Henderson is a great place, immune from the strip influence, and then learn that I am mistaken once it is too late.
I am not sure how often it happens in Henderson, as I have not lived there yet. But I am not worried about it. I lived in San Jose, CA until 20 years ago, and there are plenty of panhandlers there.

One time, when my son was about four, a crazy homeless dude started coming toward us in the parking lot. He pointed at my son and yelled, "He is the spawn of Satan, we must destroy him and make a daughter". Before I could even respond, my son grabbed my hand and yelled back, "No I'm NOT, I'm just a little boy. Go away or my mommy will GET you!!!"
And the guy turned around and left while people were laughing and clapping about my son's response.

Panhandlers are just a way of life in the city. Most don't say anything to you, they just look sad and ready to accept handouts. A few will ask if you can spare some change. And then the rare ones do what we had happen in that one instance.
You will be fine. Henderson is a nice place. Jump in and enjoy it!

Old 08-13-2011, 05:36 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,295,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
When I retired last year, I had my choice of any city in the country in which to live. I chose Las Vegas. But I chose Las Vegas specifically because of the Strip and wanted to live in close proximity to it.

After reading your posts, I do not think that you'd be happy anywhere in the valley. Las Vegas is not like other major metropolitan areas that have traditional suburbs surrounding a central downtown core. It is all one big area. Now you can interpret that to mean that it is all one big city or that it is all suburbs and no city, but either way, you can't equate it to how most metropolitan areas are structured.

In other words, if you object to the Las Vegas lifestyle on moralistic grounds, you're not going to be able to hide from it in Henderson.
Actually it is very much like many other metropolitan areas. To wit - Southern CA. There is virtually no detectable difference between say OC or the Inland Empire and Las Vegas. Well the traffic there is worse and Las Vegas has Video Poker in the supermarkets but that is about it.

I would point out that sexy billboards are as common in So CA as they are in Las Vegas. As are bars and advertising for gambling operations.

Again...once off the strip I don't think you can tell Las Vegas from much of the west except perhaps bytemperature.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I have spent about 50+ hours researching Henderson, including lots of lurking on this board and even visiting the area. My negative ideas have come from reading other people's posts on the internet as well as speaking to some people who live in the Vegas area...... My hope is that Henderson is just like any other suburb, which just happens to be by resort city. I have been told otherwise by people who live in Vegas (not Henderson) and don't really know what to believe at this point.
Honestly, with no snark intended, if you have other places you are considering, and the above is true, why not just cross Henderson off your list and move to one of the other choices? I would not move anywhere I had to be talked into, unless it was a job move, which you say is not the case.
Why trying "being convinced" that Henderson is a good place. If you have that many concerns, it's pretty simple. Don't move there.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:50 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,196,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
Honestly, with no snark intended, if you have other places you are considering, and the above is true, why not just cross Henderson off your list and move to one of the other choices? I would not move anywhere I had to be talked into, unless it was a job move, which you say is not the case.
Why trying "being convinced" that Henderson is a good place. If you have that many concerns, it's pretty simple. Don't move there.
You are so nice and tactful Sarah.....and I can't rep you....

Old 08-13-2011, 05:55 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,038,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
Panhandlers are just a way of life in the city. Most don't say anything to you, they just look sad and ready to accept handouts. A few will ask if you can spare some change. And then the rare ones do what we had happen in that one instance.
You will be fine. Henderson is a nice place. Jump in and enjoy it!

My wife and I try to get our shopping done in one fell swoop, once a week. I have never had a "shopping day" that didn't involve saying no to a parking-lot panhandler. (We shop all over the place. It's ubiquitous.)

They're also at the off ramps of nearly every highway exit.

But that's a symptom of the pandemic poverty that plagues our nation. Not a problem specific to Las Vegas. I'd say it's a little worse in Las Vegas because this town tends to attract a lot of down-and-outs. (And a small percentage of otherwise "normal" people develop gambling addictions and lose everything -- including their sanity.)

Based on what I've read on this thread, the LAST thing I'd do is advise OP to "jump in and enjoy it." My guess is that a guard-gated community in Boca Raton or Aventura would be the way to go.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:04 PM

11 posts, read 19,781 times
Quote:
We are relocating and can choose where we would like to go. We will be moving for a job, so employment is not an issue. Our top choices are the Woodlands in TX and Chandler AZ. We are on the fence about Henderson. There are some wonderful things about Henderson, such as no state income tax, nice weather, inexpensive housing and cheap flights for people to visit us. We have visited Henderson and thought that it was beautiful. We would be moving to the area which feeds to Coronado High School. Good schools and a good place to raise our young kids is top priority. We plan to stay, so high schools will be important too. I know that Vegas has awful schools, but the schools in the area we are looking are top rated. I am a professional, but will be a stay at home mom when we move. There is so much negative information about Henderson/Vegas. I am hoping that Henderson is just like any other nice suburb and not influenced by the Strip, but my research isn't fully supporting that hope. I have been told (and I have been doing a ton of research) everything from Henderon is a nice place to live to it is awful, lots of crime, etc. I am Jewish and like that there is a Synagogue in Henderson, which is not the case in some of other cities we are looking- many places would require a 1/2 hour drive. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

As someone who has lived in Henderson for several years and graduated from Coronado I can say that as far as crime goes you will see very little. Kids not in highschool will be fine, just fine, but in highschool it will be very different.

The principal drawback to Henderson/Las Vegas, from a raising kids standpoint, is that drug use is VERY high everywhere among teens. Non-drug crime in Henderson is very low, outside of maybe some graffiti here and there there really isn't much to worry about. There is a synagogue that is only about 15 minutes away from the area that you're considering moving to.

Stip culture -- Your kids will want to go there. To pretty much everybody it's the coolest part of Las Vegas, there's trouble to be found but I wouldn't worry too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas