Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 11:45 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times

Advertisements

The show is interesting but Scott and his wife need to come up with a new shtick. Seriously, the pretend anger when she purchases goods behind his back is getting really old. In the real world he would just demand all purchase orders be approved by him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 12:35 PM

145 posts, read 324,655 times
Usually there's one particular thing that winds up as flagging a show as fake to me. In this case it's where Scott claims he keeps getting outbid on houses by the twins. He said they were beating him out on dozens, or some ludicrous figure, of houses every auction. I don't imagine even large, established companies buy that many at a time.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:22 AM

654 posts, read 1,322,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdcastle View Post
Usually there's one particular thing that winds up as flagging a show as fake to me. In this case it's where Scott claims he keeps getting outbid on houses by the twins. He said they were beating him out on dozens, or some ludicrous figure, of houses every auction. I don't imagine even large, established companies buy that many at a time.
Oh, there's a lot more than ONE thing with this show ... I tend to watch out of morbid curiosity but the formula's getting old ... real old.

There's talk the Twins were (are?) the ones bankrolling his business, at least at the start.

Now, every show is like a broken record. The basics:

1) Amie complains the house they bought is junk (Why do you think it's prime for a flip?)
2) Amie complains Scott's too cheap (While I find him annoying, I respect he's trying to make a profit.)
3) Amie goes behind Scott's back & spends a bunch on fancy counters/tile, after which Scott yells at her
4) Something comes up every show to add drama (i.e. Scott finds a snake in a bedroom - sure, it just happened while the cameras were rolling ...)
5) Scott beats up on the tradesman for cheap labor & sometimes scares them off
6) They get down to the wire for the open house & Scott rants & raves to get the trades to work late to finish just in time ...
7) In the final segment, everything is hunky-dory with the open house & they get a dozen offers above list (yeah, right!)
8) They amazingly never have realtor fees (helps those profits!) & they always get a first day offer above their initial projected sales price, which has increased along the way (likely due to increased costs)

Anyone else notice the funky math? In the recent "70s House" episode, they had to gut & re-do plumbling & electrical along with a new roof & new sub-floors. Based on the costs they showed, they were already at $20,000. In the final synopsis, they claimed $25,000 on renovations. So, we're supposed to swallow they only spent another $5,000 between materials & labor for new counter & backsplash, tile flooring & carpet, landscaping, drywall & paint (among other things)?

Riiiigggghhhhhhttttt.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:09 AM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
^
I think I brought up the issue with the fantasy island pricing on the renovations a few pages back.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:12 AM

930 posts, read 1,818,280 times
This show is as fake as it gets.. for a decent flip show, I watch flip or flop on hgtv. even though california homes, much more realistic in the financial aspect

Old 08-22-2014, 04:56 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I wonder if House Hunters or My First Home will ever come to Vegas?
House Hunters called my wife and I when we bought our Aliante house in 2010. Unfortunately they required that we leave it in its as purchased (minor damage/bank owned) state and leave it empty for two weeks while they shot the show.

You could use your actual realtor or they would give you one. Then they would film you walking through several houses with the realtor including your own so they can film the show. Of course you have to choose the house you already bought. After knowing that, we saw some episodes where it seemed like couples found houses they preferred to their actual house.

We passed because we were anxious to fix the house up and get moved in. They paid you some trivial amount, like $200 or something. The only draw is that you get to be on a national cable show.

I still try to guess which house they will "choose", despite there being no choice.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:45 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
The only flip show that I'VE seen that seemed legit was that guy from Charleston SC

Old 06-13-2015, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,241 times
She had a GREAT plastic surgeon comparing what she originally looked like as to what she looks like now. That guy was probably one of the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas