Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:38 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times

Advertisements

Even if you are happy with your current company, take a few minutes to get some quotes. I don't know why but things have changed and I'm getting much better rates now.

Currently, I am with American Family and I have one paid for car. I have pretty minimal coverage and one car that's not worth a lot. I am paying $440 every 6 months. That was the best I could get here a couple years ago when I switched over to NV insurance. And that's with no accidents, tickets, etc. Perfect driving record. I thought that was very high. My insurance is up for renewal in July so I thought I would check and see if there was anything less expensive that was still written by a company I'd heard of. I don't need to be paying extra for anything.

Surprise! Geico will insure me for $103.90 for 6 months. I printed the quote and I'm going to one of their local offices to make sure it's for real. If it is, I'm switching!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 08:40 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
how minimal is the coverage.... make sure you carry at least 50k property damage....and if you own a home 100/300

Old 06-29-2011, 08:59 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times
When I shop around rates I print my current coverage levels and keep them at least the same or better. You can email this list to an insurance agent or an insurance broker (sells policies with multiple carriers and gives you quotes for each).

I agree with shopping around every other year or so. I have always gotten a slightly better deal each time.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
how minimal is the coverage.... make sure you carry at least 50k property damage....and if you own a home 100/300
Pretty minimal! My home is worth 112K today and it is homesteaded. I can be sued but they can't get the house. Most of my other assets are protected as well. I don't have much anyone could get.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
i'm guessing you went with state minimum... liability.... think about this, you hit an expensive car (beemer) - total it... 50k in damage since the car is totalled... they will come after you for the money... plus i don't believe homestead is going to protect you if they are fatal injuries since it would be felonies involved... just protect yourself....
OK, I don't understand here. I get the part about the beemer. They can sue me for property damage beyond what insurance will pay but there's no way for them to collect because there's nothing they can attach.

Now if I hit someone and end up charged with a felony.... I go to jail and that has nothing to do with insurance. Am I wrong?

I want to protect myself but I don't want to overdo it. My piddly salary is too low to be garnished and they can't touch my pension or future(hopefully) Social Security.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:45 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Even if you are happy with your current company, take a few minutes to get some quotes. I don't know why but things have changed and I'm getting much better rates now.

Currently, I am with American Family and I have one paid for car. I have pretty minimal coverage and one car that's not worth a lot. I am paying $440 every 6 months. That was the best I could get here a couple years ago when I switched over to NV insurance. And that's with no accidents, tickets, etc. Perfect driving record. I thought that was very high. My insurance is up for renewal in July so I thought I would check and see if there was anything less expensive that was still written by a company I'd heard of. I don't need to be paying extra for anything.

Surprise! Geico will insure me for $103.90 for 6 months. I printed the quote and I'm going to one of their local offices to make sure it's for real. If it is, I'm switching!
I'm going to guess you have poor credit for minimal liability coverage to be that high. Geico and Progressive don't check credit for your first policy so their rates can seem almost too good to be true at first, but then will re-rate you based on credit for your renewal. It still might be less than $440, but don't be surprised if you get a big increase at first renewal.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I'm going to guess you have poor credit for minimal liability coverage to be that high. Geico and Progressive don't check credit for your first policy so their rates can seem almost too good to be true at first, but then will re-rate you based on credit for your renewal. It still might be less than $440, but don't be surprised if you get a big increase at first renewal.
$20 a month is high????????

Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 PM

i have geico... had a fender bender... credit is around690-700.. and they have never increased my rates!

Old 06-29-2011, 11:12 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
$20 a month is high????????
$20 a month in a market like LV is basically asking for losses if you are an insurance company.

As for credit scores, 700 or so is above average so of course they aren't going to raise your rates.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:49 PM

you said yellowsnows insurance was high... it's less than 20 bucks a month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas