Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 02:02 AM

203 posts, read 546,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Even if you are happy with your current company, take a few minutes to get some quotes. I don't know why but things have changed and I'm getting much better rates now.

Currently, I am with American Family and I have one paid for car. I have pretty minimal coverage and one car that's not worth a lot. I am paying $440 every 6 months. That was the best I could get here a couple years ago when I switched over to NV insurance. And that's with no accidents, tickets, etc. Perfect driving record. I thought that was very high. My insurance is up for renewal in July so I thought I would check and see if there was anything less expensive that was still written by a company I'd heard of. I don't need to be paying extra for anything.

Surprise! Geico will insure me for $103.90 for 6 months. I printed the quote and I'm going to one of their local offices to make sure it's for real. If it is, I'm switching!

I'm curious you said you paid 440 every 6 months for American family yet you switching to Geico for 623 every 6 months?? how is that a better deal ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 02:12 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,039,624 times
i'm reading it as $104 for 6 months total...... it could be possible..... i just requoted my policy at dead minimum liability (which i would NEVER take) and it was $155 for 6 months total.... I currently pay $385 for 6 months full coverage 100/300.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:43 AM

654 posts, read 1,325,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFILESMULDER View Post
I'm curious you said you paid 440 every 6 months for American family yet you switching to Geico for 623 every 6 months?? how is that a better deal ?
Reading comprehension? Hello?

Yellowsnow said she pays 440 every 6 months yet switching to Geico for minimal coverage would be $103.90. Where did you get $623? I'm guessing you multiplied the $103.90 by 6, but (a) that's not what she said & (b) if it were accurate, why would she be excited about switching in order to spend more $$?

We have full coverage for 2 newer (2008) vehicles, 50/100/100 liability, $1k ded collision, $0 ded comp & it runs us $530 every six months with Allstate. Good credit, clean record & if I pay in full before policy goes into effect it's $500 ($30ish discount). If I did straight liability 50/100/100 for me it would be $131.29 for six months, so $103.29 for yellowsnow is low yet possible. If her vehicle is paid in full & doesn't have a high book value, going with minimal coverage makes sense (understanding you'd be fixing the vehicle yourself unless someone else is at fault in an accident & has decent insurance). It doesn't make sense to pay for collision insurance if the car's not worth that much & a claim would cause your rates to rise.

Before Allstate, we had State Farm & had decent (but slightly higher) rates with them. The homeowner policy is what got us to switch - insanely low with Allstate, so we also switched over auto as well even though that was minimal savings. The other auto insurance companies from whom I've gotten quotes have been all over the map - some much higher than what I pay, some in the ballpark but none have 'wowed' me like Allstate - like I said, the homeowners' policy was what got me & the auto was just a bonus.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:06 AM

136 posts, read 277,286 times
Don't forget that if you have a home insured as well, you will lose the multi-line discount and even though your car insurance may be cheaper, your homeowners will go up.

Also, make sure you're comparing apples to apples. If you have 100/300 now and Geico is quoting you 30/60, of course it will be cheaper. I would also go back to American Family and see if they can do better. Maybe there is something funky on your account or it had to do with when you first moved or whatever. Worth a check.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:18 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,271,431 times
I just switched too from Allstate to Metlife-same coverage but a lot cheaper.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:13 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,161,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFILESMULDER View Post
Mouldy you need either new glasses or a new calculator....or both.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:34 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,576,319 times
I switched to geico too and they are insanely cheap here for some reason. Mine is only slightly more than yellow's.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:50 PM

6,386 posts, read 11,910,331 times
Companies have 5 years to prove they are reasonably profitable to the insurance commissioner every time they change their policy or when they are new to any given market. Not sure where they might be in that timeframe, but at some point Geico is going to have to charge at least in the same neighborhood as the others. When American Family first entered Nevada they had rates that could beat anyone, but when the five years was up they had to raise rates.

This is just how the insurance business works in every state. Geico's cost structure isn't really cheaper than the competition so while you might find a nice sweet spot in their rate chart, don't be shocked if they take away the punch bowl. Same goes for any insurance company, some spend more on agents and infrastructure, the online players spend more on advertising and have shareholders to take care of. In the end there is no real discount provider, just a bunch of large financial organizations trying to figure out ways to beat each other every day.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:56 PM

399 posts, read 695,350 times
I switched from Geico to Shelter Insurance 5+ years ago(in a different state) and went from $548 for 6 months to $302 for same covereage.

I switched to Shelter once I got here and pay $347 of 6 months.

Geico...somebody is paying for all that advertising! You can do better.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:22 AM

508 posts, read 1,023,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I'm going to guess you have poor credit for minimal liability coverage to be that high. Geico and Progressive don't check credit for your first policy so their rates can seem almost too good to be true at first, but then will re-rate you based on credit for your renewal. It still might be less than $440, but don't be surprised if you get a big increase at first renewal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i have geico... had a fender bender... credit is around690-700.. and they have never increased my rates!
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I switched to geico too and they are insanely cheap here for some reason. Mine is only slightly more than yellow's.

I carry Geico and they are way the cheapest in the area... (not including the no name mom and pop insurence companies - i wont use those fly by night places) but I carry full coverage and only pay just over 600 every 6 months with only a 1000 dollar deductable. I have been with Geico (all over the states) since i was 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas