Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,270,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I love lil kitties de tastes like chicken
This cat likes a bite of old dude now and then. And he is big enough that he can get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 11:00 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,270,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmom64 View Post
We have a beagle & a husky and are moving to LV from So CA. They are both outside dogs here in CA and will be getting a nice large yard with a/c'd "casita" to enjoy in LV. With temps being so hot, do most dogs still do ok being outside dogs (obviously with a place they can cool off in). What's the best time of day for walking or going to the dog park??? Thanks in advance for your responses! (I know....spoiled....spoiled....spoiled)
Dogs are monstly temperature proof. Their coats are almost totally insulating. As long as they have water so they can aspirate they are immune to temperature.

Our present dog and our prior one regularly lay on the brick patio in direct sun on 105 degree days. Could not care less.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:41 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,414,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Dogs are monstly temperature proof. Their coats are almost totally insulating. As long as they have water so they can aspirate they are immune to temperature.

Our present dog and our prior one regularly lay on the brick patio in direct sun on 105 degree days. Could not care less.
Same with mine. They don't care, and they sun themselves when it's really hot, too. I ran with my prior Lhasa Apsos for years in the hot sun because they wanted to go. Then one day a fat lady with a fat poodle in a fat caddy pulled up to me and shamed me for "making" them run in the heat. I had never even thought about it before. I told her they didn't have to go, they wanted to go. I'm still sorry I didn't shame her for riding around in an A/C car when obviously both her and her dog needed exercise. The Lhasa Apso was bred for extreme conditions in Tibet, so those dogs loved the mountains. Dusty, our youngest, not so much. In snow he tries to climb my leg to get out of it, and doesn't like to hike at Mt. Charleston, and he doesn't want to be the big bad trail dog.

You folks bringing dogs here will appreciate the weather, and not having fleas in the desert. We have lots of dog parks where they can "run the fence", and lots of dog hiking territory.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 AM

255 posts, read 363,107 times
I have two large labs. We have a very small back yard with no grass, but we do have a Doggie door which allows them to go out whenever they want to do their business if necessary.

We also go for half hour walks twice a day: once just before or soon after sunrise and the other just before or soon after sunset.

I walk them a few blocks from my house and let them run loose through the desert and that's where they normally do their business.

Each day as soon as we get back from our morning walk, I clean up any mess from the back yard that they may have left from the previous day/night (usually very little).

When we take our walks, I always carry a plastic bag just in case they can't wait to get to the desert to do their business. I hardly ever have to use the bag, but I carry it just the same to let my neighbors and passersby know that I am prepared to clean up after my dogs.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:27 AM

88 posts, read 133,224 times
Like posted, you'll find SOME places with a yard.... but large enough for a pair of LARGE dogs? Not many places.

Your typical Vegas "yard" really isn't enough for two large dogs, per what people say dogs should typically have to roam around in... but there are dog parks all over the city, so there are places for them to get frequent exercise.

If you're considering condos/apartments, beware - a LOT of those places have fairly idiotic breed restrictions, where about every other breed is considered "aggressive"

One thing I noticed was how many dogs out there were completely overweight and/or in poor health for a dog.... lots of people fall in love with the idea of owning a dog, and then chalk up "letting the dog outside to go to the bathroom" as enough exercise for the poor things. I've got a buddy with a pair of border collies he got for his kids. Laziest dogs (especially for that breed) that I've ever seen.

Seriously, when's the last time anyone ever saw a FAT border collie? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: