Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:10 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times

Advertisements

Or was it my imagination? I think this last May was the coldest I can remember. Good thing for the AC bill but bad for swimming.

Look at the "Have You Turned on Your AC...." thread. Written in APRIL. This year I easily made it through May with no AC and I know I haven't been able to do that in other years. I think there was fresh snow on the mountains about 2 weeks ago as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,409 times
I can still see snow at Mt Charleston from the park in my neighborhood but it will be gone soon with temperatures warming up fast.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
This past May was ridiculously cold for LV imo

June is "cold" by LV standards too

Did you guys knows its only 88 outside right now, and in New York City, its 10degrees hotter?

They're issuing all kinds of heat warnings back east and here in LV were much cooler than normal

When I moved out here, at this time last year it was already 110 degrees

Old 06-09-2011, 01:47 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
100 by me today....AND IT'S NOT A DRY HEAT!

(more like a wet wool blanket straight out of the microwave!)

Old 06-09-2011, 02:54 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,444 times
This is an OUTRAGE!!! It was DISGUSTING here in NYC yesterday and today. It actually felt worse here at 90 degrees than it did last year in Las Vegas at 110.
It couldn't wait 3 freakin weeks!!!! After we were soaked to death out here now we're being steamed.
An OUTRAGE I tell you!!!!!!

Dry Heat for President!!

Old 06-09-2011, 02:54 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
We're trying to break the record of going the longest without a 100º temp. The record is June 30, 1965, but it seems that second summer after I got here it was really hot, so I don't remember hearing about it being a record. Made it through summers of '64 & '65 without a/c in the car, but by 1966 I had to have it. There are only a couple of times between today's date and June 30 that it hasn't happened, so I'm hoping we'll set a new record. There are no 100º temps forecast for the next ten days anyway. It's like KJ says, we're livin large.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:32 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
100 by me today....AND IT'S NOT A DRY HEAT!

(more like a wet wool blanket straight out of the microwave!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
This is an OUTRAGE!!! It was DISGUSTING here in NYC yesterday and today. It actually felt worse here at 90 degrees than it did last year in Las Vegas at 110.
It couldn't wait 3 freakin weeks!!!! After we were soaked to death out here now we're being steamed.
An OUTRAGE I tell you!!!!!!

Dry Heat for President!!
Well, now, you can both appreciate the saying "but it's a dry heat"

Lower humidity certainly DOES make a difference when there are high temps.

Sis back there said her grandchildren are getting out of school early the past couple of days as there is no a/c in most schools in her area.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:57 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Well, now, you can both appreciate the saying "but it's a dry heat"

Lower humidity certainly DOES make a difference when there are high temps.

Sis back there said her grandchildren are getting out of school early the past couple of days as there is no a/c in most schools in her area.

I certainly do appreciate that phrase and would give anything to be able to make the switch.

In NYC they didn't make any allowances. Yesterday, it was 85 degrees in my classroom and I have NO windows. I felt very bad for my students.

Today they were lucky, they had a day off while we had a "staff development" day in a room that was also 85 degrees with 60% humidity (the science teacher measured it), but it had windows!!

I laugh when New York City talks about 12 month schools in 80-100 year old buildings with no air conditioning and schools with interior windowless rooms with barely functioning ventilators. Haven't had a chance to see inside a Las Vegas school, but they all look relatively youngish.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:08 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
I certainly do appreciate that phrase and would give anything to be able to make the switch.

In NYC they didn't make any allowances. Yesterday, it was 85 degrees in my classroom and I have NO windows. I felt very bad for my students.

Today they were lucky, they had a day off while we had a "staff development" day in a room that was also 85 degrees with 60% humidity (the science teacher measured it), but it had windows!!

I laugh when New York City talks about 12 month schools in 80-100 year old buildings with no air conditioning and schools with interior windowless rooms with barely functioning ventilators. Haven't had a chance to see inside a Las Vegas school, but they all look relatively youngish.
Quixotic, I know what you are talking about with those old school buildings

I attended my freshman year of high school in Connecticut and I remember towards the end of the school year it was in the 90s and my high school was built in the 1950s (a newer school by Northeast standards ) and we had no a/c. It was torture, and we had several interior classrooms with no windows too

The high school I went on to graduate from in Orlando is still a brand new school technically, that school opened in 2003

Old 06-09-2011, 04:10 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
Quote:

Oh, I hear you on that friend.

We got some older schools, but none as old as what you would find in your area. All have a/c here in LV, they have to. With our hot desert temps and constant sunshine, no one would be able to withstand it inside a bldg with no relief.

I am outside on the balcony right now, it's 92 degrees with 10% humidity and barely a whisper of a breeze.

Warm, no hot... in the sun, but really really nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas