Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 11:03 PM

349 posts, read 379,764 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody,

I'm originally from Texas. One of our most popular foods is a good ol' fashioned chicken fried steak! I've been in Vegas for almost 9 yrs and have yet to come across a decent one.

Several people have pointed to Ellis Island. I've tried it, and it's just ok. I had another person once tell me The Omelette House is without a doubt the best! So, I tried it, turns out, they're just frozen and premade (how lame, won't trust that recommender again!). At the moment, my fav is probably Maple Tree cafe, but I think it can be topped.

I've hunted high and low ... so please, if you know of a great home made chicken fried steak in this fine city, please tell me where!

-DJS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 11:14 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,317,145 times
I've always equated all versions of chicken fried steak with elementary school cafeteria food. Where in Texas is a "good" version of it? Maybe I'll try it out next time I'm there.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:40 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,810,931 times
Black Bear diner or MAple tree Cafe.

Toby KEiths place seems like they had a good one. Wonder if that old steak house in Sams Town has it? Or is that place gone? Billy bobs or something like that.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:56 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,387,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
I've always equated all versions of chicken fried steak with elementary school cafeteria food. Where in Texas is a "good" version of it? Maybe I'll try it out next time I'm there.
Don't get too excited. They eat 6 week old baby goat (Cabrito), rattlesnake, javelina, and armadillo in the Lone Star State too. And, OMG, they actually drink Pearl Beer with all of the above.

If the Oklahoma Kitchen, 23 N. Mojave, near Charleston, is still in business they used to have the best, but I haven't been there in years. Also, the Iron Skillet Restaurant at the Race Track/Petro Truck stop on I-15 N. Petro Truck Stops - Iron Skillet Menu - Iron Skillet, Petro:Lube, Travel Stores, Mobil Delvac, Truck Tires, PM Services, Diesel, CAT Scales, Blue Beacon Truck Washes

But it seems like I had found a good one someplace and now I can't remember where. Might have been what my wife and I call the Horse Barn, otherwise known as Big Dog's Draft House on N. Rancho.

For some reason I keep thinking of Mimi's, MENU | DINNER.

Or was it Marie Callender's? Marie Callender's - Our Food - Menu - Comfort Classics

Now if you're looking for good Texas mesquite BBQ ...sorry, you'll have to go to Texas for that. A reasonable substitution is Salt Lick BBQ at Red Rock Station. Also, Lucille's ain't bad, The District at Green Valley Ranch - Shop | Dine | Live,

but not like a nice flank steak mesquite smoked on an open pit fire, and pulled apart by hand, rolled into freshly made, soft, flour tortilla's, and covered with fresh home made salsa. You'll have to go to Laredo for that.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:03 AM

654 posts, read 1,324,384 times
I tried the one at Ellis Island & liked it but didn't love it; pretty sure they said theirs is mostly pork, which would explain the difference in flavor.

If memory serves, I believe I had good chicken-fried steak at Claim Jumper's in Town Square. Downside: It's a chain. Upside: It's a decent chain restaurant. Claim Jumper's has gotten pricier from when I first went with my uncle in California, but the food's always been good when I've gone.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, though. My fave chicken-fried steak was at Charlie's Chicken in Oklahoma, which may be sacrilege if you're from Texas. I hope they're still around. Their chicken chunks (big big chunks of white meat) were awesome, as was everything I tried. Weird little hole-in-the-wall place that apparently was part of a small chain in Oklahoma, I hope they've survived in this economy. Would love to stop next time I have a reason to drive through that area.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:08 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,387,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
I tried the one at Ellis Island & liked it but didn't love it; pretty sure they said theirs is mostly pork, which would explain the difference in flavor.

If memory serves, I believe I had good chicken-fried steak at Claim Jumper's in Town Square. Downside: It's a chain. Upside: It's a decent chain restaurant. Claim Jumper's has gotten pricier from when I first went with my uncle in California, but the food's always been good when I've gone.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, though. My fave chicken-fried steak was at Charlie's Chicken in Oklahoma, which may be sacrilege if you're from Texas. I hope they're still around. Their chicken chunks (big big chunks of white meat) were awesome, as was everything I tried. Weird little hole-in-the-wall place that apparently was part of a small chain in Oklahoma, I hope they've survived in this economy. Would love to stop next time I have a reason to drive through that area.
I agree on Claim Jumper. Ask for a to go box before the order arrives (unless you're a pig).

Old 05-31-2011, 04:34 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,728,577 times
From one connoisseur to another sadly Black Bear is good at it gets around here. The now defunct Smokey Joes Cafe in Sam’s Town did it right.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:31 AM

460 posts, read 989,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Many of the "mom & pop" places in Texas will have Chicken Fried Steak on the menu. If you get to the DFW area, give Babe's Chicken a try. At the original restaurant in Roanoke, all they serve is fried chicken, and chicken fried steak. Both are pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas