Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 04:02 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,762,963 times

Advertisements

I'm still pondering if I should buy or wait. Most of the homes built in Vegas post '03 are crap construction. For example, Sun City Summerlin's "weep screed" problem, Craig Ranch Village's "expansive soil" issues, etc.

I have been looking at homes built between 1950-60 and they just appear to be more sturdy and solid. I am shifting focus now to an older structure which invariable comes with a larger lot and almost certainly zero HOA.

Anyone else have experience living in an older tract? Is there a peaceful/tranquil/hip/swanky oasis out there to be discovered...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 07:30 AM

228 posts, read 718,625 times
I too would love to know the answer to this question, cause I don't like the idea of buying a newer home because of the issues the OP posted. I would like to add one more question to the queue.

Where are the older areas in Vegas, and what is the adverage price on these older homes from 1950 to 1990?

Old 05-09-2011, 07:41 AM

23,867 posts, read 24,099,797 times
We're renting a house that was built in '48. Before this one, we lived in houses built in '86 and '05. The older house has its old-house issues, but overall, I like it much more than the others, and the lack of an HOA is WONDERFUL.

The most noticeable difference is design - older houses seem to use space much more efficiently than new ones. The newer ones are built with pre-fabricated pieces, and they slap them together however they can to create different "models," without much regard for whether or not the design makes sense.

When we're ready to buy, we'll be looking at older, non-HOA houses. It'll limit our options, but we don't care - we're willing to wait for just the right home.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:03 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The most noticeable difference is design - older houses seem to use space much more efficiently than new ones. The newer ones are built with pre-fabricated pieces, and they slap them together however they can to create different "models," without much regard for whether or not the design makes sense.
Eh, there are some custom home neighborhoods here and a ton of tract housing. All the builders I've seen have used and are still using concrete, sheet rock and lumber to build houses. Where in Las Vegas have you seen manufactured or modular homes going up?

There are other advantages to old construction not mentioned here, but to give the counterpoint I wanted to point out some reasons new construction is worth considering:
  • Built to current code
  • Energy efficient
  • New electrical and plumbing
  • Less maintenance than an older home (time clock is just starting on all components like roofing, etc.)
  • Generally will cost less per square foot than older construction
  • New efficient HVAC systems can make a big difference in monthly utility costs

Old 05-09-2011, 07:08 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,434,416 times
Custom home? is there such a thing in LV?

Old 05-09-2011, 08:31 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Fifties? Here is one.

1925 Silver Ave., Las Vegas NV 89102, USA - Virtual Tour

There are others if you are brave enough...

Old 05-09-2011, 08:53 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
You don't get around much do you? Tons of them. Many on large lots. Many are even on private wells.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Fifties? Here is one.

1925 Silver Ave., Las Vegas NV 89102, USA - Virtual Tour

There are others if you are brave enough...
Is that on Alta? It takes too long to load individual pix.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
I'm still pondering if I should buy or wait. Most of the homes built in Vegas post '03 are crap construction. For example, Sun City Summerlin's "weep screed" problem, Craig Ranch Village's "expansive soil" issues, etc.

I have been looking at homes built between 1950-60 and they just appear to be more sturdy and solid. I am shifting focus now to an older structure which invariable comes with a larger lot and almost certainly zero HOA.

Anyone else have experience living in an older tract? Is there a peaceful/tranquil/hip/swanky oasis out there to be discovered...

As long as it's in a good neighborhood. Most old homes are in not so good neighborhoods.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:58 PM

579 posts, read 1,209,937 times
"Older home" neighborhoods I like: Scotch 80s, McNeil Estates, Rancho Circle......then there are a TON of mid century moderns in Paradise Palms and John S Park which are historic districts. These vintage neighborhoods have large lots, extremely mature landscaping, and architechtual variety. I love that they are grandfathered in as far as watering large green lawns and wood burning fireplaces. If I were ever buying again in Las Vegas it would be in something like that. Luckily I have family in these neighborhoods so I just admire them when I'm hanging out at their houses.....and they're beautiful, one has a goregeous Tudor style.

Quote:
I grew up in a custom home here. Most of Lone mt/Ann road area are custom......as are the south strip at LVBLD. Most of everything between the Blvd and Bermuda to the east, everything south of Pyle and all the way north to Windmill (with a few sprinklings of little housing tracts.) Everything west of LVBLVD around Warms Springs. Then you have all of Mission Hills area, Black mt etc.....it's all over the entire valley really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas