Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 01:27 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine View Post
Could you be more specific about OK neighborhood? The deal hasn't closed yet and I don't want to pay that much for just OK. Thanks
In Las Vegas you need the HOA like you find in Summerlin to protect your investment. If you can get out of the deal then if it were moi I would do it and find a place in Summerlin, or at least a gated community somewhere in the northwest part of town. But that's me. I've been burned too many times in Las Vegas. Housing developments (neighborhoods if you will) run down fast in Las Vegas and that neighborhood is already over 30 years old. If you can't afford Summerlin then that neighborhood is OK as far as older neighborhoods go. I drove through there today and saw nice, albeit old, homes and not so nice homes side by side. If I had any sense, when I sell my house, I'd move there myself. I'm just tired of the lack of pride of ownership that you find in older parts of Las Vegas that lower the value of your property. People here can make a lot of money with very little education. They can afford to buy nice homes but then they trash them because they ain't got no class. HOAs protect against that. Much of Summerlin is over 20 years old and still looks new because owners can't trash the neighborhood like they do in areas with no restrictions. Besides, the SID takes care of the common areas and keeps everything looking beautiful. On the other hand, I'd really like to live where the neighbors can't tell me what to do; but I've gone that route several times and you just have to expect to see cars on the lawn and weeds and trash all over the place. The rural part of Las Vegas isn't quite so bad as having a trash dump right next door would be. The politicians sold out and shafted the folks like olecapt who thought they were in a rural preservation area where the really nice homes were spread out; and if there was an old run down ranch house nearby it just added to the ambiance. But the politicians broke the law and allowed communities like mine to come in and ruin their way of life. The people who were here before the roads were even paved hate us (Sorry olecapt, but since they built them anyway I decided I might as well buy one). This area with it's little ranch-etts is still nicer than the cramped older neighborhoods, and if your neighbor down the road lets the grass die and parks cars on the "lawn" it doesn't matter too much; but if he's less than ten feet away from your house it makes a big difference. Also, crime is usually higher in older parts of town. Antelope and Alta is on the cusp, and doesn't look like a crime ridden area. You should probably look at it as a first home in Las Vegas. You will build equity that you can use to move up to a nicer place later on. Just remember that in Pissthecatoff, NJ, or Charleston, WV, or Beaver Falls, PA, old homes in old, established neighborhoods are great places to live. Not so much in Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Well a couple of miles west is $50,000.00 more minimum.
If that's all it's more than worth it. It's probably more like $100,000 more though.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:39 PM

15 posts, read 49,675 times
Latest update is that we offered the owner 10,000 less then her asking price and she agreed. But before she signed the papers she backed out. She wants her full asking price for her house. Who in their right mind expects to get their asking price for their house? I would think everyone jacks up the price so people can negotiate them down. Anyway, we told her that was our final offer, but I really do like the house............Any suggestions? It's only been on the market since June 2007.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:46 PM

By the way, I would PM you the street, but I have no idea how to do that.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:21 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,509,301 times
just click on his name (in blue) in any of his posts above. You'll get a dropdown menu to chose "send private message".

Old 08-06-2007, 08:19 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Quote:
Don't bother if it has ten in its name. I know where it is.

Don't go anywhere near her asking price. You gotta be nuts. Wait a while. She is at least 25K high.

Make a new offer 20 K off list. Tell her it goes down a K every time you do it. You may get it for the right price if you are patient.

And that is all you get for free....

Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 PM

I just emailed my broker and that is exactly what we will do.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Check your PMs.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:48 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,296,262 times
I know that general area. I have a friend that lives on Antelope/Astronaut. No,i'm not making that up, it's real. lol
Her neighborhood is a little older i think. It's ok enough, she's happy there. That's all that matters.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:34 PM

56 posts, read 558,767 times
Default Areas

Any info on Huntington at Liberty? KB Homes 89178

We were out there last week to look at new home developments, but ran out of time and did not make it to Huntington at Liberty. We looked at Tapestry Lanes, too too close together... Mountain' Edge has some very nice area's but a little leery of the future traffic...due to the size of the community. Cambridge Villas/Crossing favorite so far...at least you get a Little yard, so in comparison how's Huntington at Liberty?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas