Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 02:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,941 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to buy a winter home in Las Vegas. We have looked at several communities and like Rhodes Ranch and Southern Highlands. We would like to get any feedback on which area is better or other alternate locations to search for a home as well. Thanks for your input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 02:35 AM

91 posts, read 175,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Family View Post
My family and I are looking to buy a winter home in Las Vegas. We have looked at several communities and like Rhodes Ranch and Southern Highlands. We would like to get any feedback on which area is better or other alternate locations to search for a home as well. Thanks for your input.
Southern Highlands by a long shot.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:59 AM

236 posts, read 627,770 times
From a fellow Canadian,

Southern Highlands, Green Valley or Summerlin.

Can't go wrong with any of these.

Translation: It's like the Mississauga, North York, and Etobicoke of Toronto

But BEWARE - Before moving, realize that there are no Tim Hortons here

Good luck with your search

Old 03-24-2011, 10:01 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
You're still looking at a higher price point home. Don't buy yet. Take this realtors advice. Prices are going to come down further!

Old 03-24-2011, 01:01 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
You're still looking at a higher price point home. Don't buy yet. Take this realtors advice. Prices are going to come down further!
Where are you getting that?

So far this year...approaching the end of the first quarter... homes greater than 200K are up a bit in price and growing in volume.

Homes above 200K are about the upper 20% of the market.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:10 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Really?

A while back (towards the beginning of the collapse), I heard Southern Highlands was in full implosion (more then the Vegas norm).

I think I'd prefer GVR/Seven Hills more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas2005 View Post
Southern Highlands by a long shot.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:12 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
I'm in NYC, we have Tim Hortons. I'm not impressed. What we had, and lost , was Krispy Creme. I think Vegas may still have them. World's best donut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentmax View Post
From a fellow Canadian,

Southern Highlands, Green Valley or Summerlin.

Can't go wrong with any of these.

Translation: It's like the Mississauga, North York, and Etobicoke of Toronto

But BEWARE - Before moving, realize that there are no Tim Hortons here

Good luck with your search

Old 03-24-2011, 01:16 PM

207 posts, read 509,562 times
Both are very nice - Rhodes ranch is gated entirely, shopping center (vons) etc is outside the community - you can't walk or drive to the supermarket without leaving the community gates. Higher HOA's but extremely nice recreation center - lots there and is a big plus to the community if you think you'll use it.

Southern highlands has gated communities within, but the whole community is not gated. Shopping center etc is within the community and is an easy drive or walk depending. Many restaurants, hardware, etc easily accessible right there. The community has beautiful tree lined landscaped streets. It is also a bit more centrally located (east to west), easier to get to other attractions (lake mead, the strip, etc.) for a winter home you may want to be closer to attractions and a quicker trip to the airport to pick up friends/family etc. There are many parks throughout the community, a beautiful rose garden, walking path called the greenbelt etc.

You can't go wrong with either one. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

Best of luck, you've chosen two very nice communities to look within!

Old 03-24-2011, 05:48 PM

236 posts, read 627,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'm in NYC, we have Tim Hortons. I'm not impressed. What we had, and lost , was Krispy Creme. I think Vegas may still have them. World's best donut.
Tim hortons... It's all about the coffee and iced caps BBMW. Donuts are 'ok', but all about the coffee. Nothing like it anywhere else, especially once you're used to it every morning for years.

I totally agree with you on KK for the donuts though.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:32 PM

15 posts, read 24,569 times
i would say go for GVR / Seven Hills, if you are planning to spend descend money...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas