Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:39 AM

35 posts, read 153,154 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

This forum has been a blessing for my wife and I, as we've picked up some wonderful information from the members here...

We are finally heading in the 3rd week of November to start our house hunt.

Have the agent, approved from the lender and ready to go.

We are targeting 2 areas, one of which is Rhodes Ranch. Reading through all the forum posts, I've read some nightmare stories about the HOA management there and some serious issues that current homeowners are freaking out over.

Anyone feel the HOA there is a deal-breaker? I liked the idea of the gym and facilities they had there (which we would both use a lot), but I don't like the idea of so many crazy restrictions in the community.

The other option we liked was in the 89178 zip code - some single story houses by DR Horton in The Manor of Arlington Ranch. Would this be a better choice?

We are looking for a single story, 3/4 bedrooms, at least 2000 sq ft. Hoping to max out in the 230k range (but I've seen many in the 170k area).

Thanks again for all of your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 12:42 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,538,775 times
I live 89178... LOVE IT. I have heard that rhodes ranch is very very strict... but that can be a good thing. personally I dont like an to much control, but others do.
take a look at Discovery homes(Cascade/Breckenridge) on Gomer in 89178, superb floor plans and a very healthy HOA owners group. the build quality in these two neighborhoods is very high, but discovery does build lower end homes also.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:44 PM

207 posts, read 509,757 times
Last I remember the fees in RR were around 125/mo. Personally, I think you get a lot for that money. The facilities are quite impressive. The only complaints I can remember on the board were related to speeding in the community. I personally wouldn't find the hoa a deal breaker there, but it depends on what you are looking for. I spoke with one resident who liked it there and has lived there several years, but said if he had it to do over he would make sure to buy a house that was not right on the edge of the golf course as the grounds keeping and golf players can start pretty early in the morning making noise.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the advice so far! I'll look into those home on Gomer as well.

This is our first time buying a house, so we're just trying to make sure we find a nice one at a good price if possible

We never dealt with an HOA before...we're in our early 30's and after reading everything I could on here, I was just hoping it wasn't as bad as some people saying they were getting photos of a single weed in their yard and being fined for it

Old 10-25-2011, 06:56 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutKaz View Post
Thanks for the advice so far! I'll look into those home on Gomer as well.

This is our first time buying a house, so we're just trying to make sure we find a nice one at a good price if possible

We never dealt with an HOA before...we're in our early 30's and after reading everything I could on here, I was just hoping it wasn't as bad as some people saying they were getting photos of a single weed in their yard and being fined for it
i just received a violation because my palm PLANT leaves were touching the ground.....

Old 10-25-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i just received a violation because my palm PLANT leaves were touching the ground.....
Wow...seriously? See, that would make me lose my cool.

Junker car on cinderblocks in the driveway? I can understand.

Neighbor paints his house neon pink with green polka dots. Go to town.

Abandoned home housing a small circus? After I get some cotton candy and a balloon animal, get em' out.

But leaves touching the ground, the wrong color rose garden, a single weed..

are you kidding me???

Why would ANYONE put up with that?

Old 10-25-2011, 07:22 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
its an hoa... those are the rules...

Old 10-25-2011, 07:35 PM

412 posts, read 916,164 times
Quote:
This is nothing unusual. It's just a notice reminding you about something that's in your CC&Rs that you may have skipped over. Other HOAs have this rule also.

Quote:
14. Paragraph 11 - For the purpose of clarifying the requirement “No person shall
permit any thing or condition to exist upon any lot or other property which shall induce,
breed or harbor infectious diseases or noxious plants or insects.” Limbs and branches of
trees must not touch the ground and must be trimmed to twelve inches (12") above the
ground in order to allow
for the cleaning of fruit, leaves, and other debris and so not to provide a haven for
rodents. Bushes and hedges must be trimmed and maintained so as not to grow onto
neighboring properties, gather clutter, or provide a haven for rodents.
Some communities include landscaping service as part of the HOA dues so it's easier for people who don't want to do it themselves. Maybe Rhodes Ranch can do the same. Homeowners are free to vote to change parts if the CC&Rs if they don't like certain rules.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:48 PM

53 posts, read 205,579 times
I currently live in Rhodes Ranch, and have been here for a little over 2 years. We looked all throughout the valley and opted for RR because of the amenities as well as the reasonable HOA fee. You really get a lot of amenities for the monthly fee.
Regarding the HOA, it is kind of a 2 edged sword. They keep the grounds very well maintained and a majority of the houses are well maintained because of it. I have not found them to be overly intrusive. They do follow the rules pretty closely, and you will get notices if your house is not well maintained.
We did initially receive speeding tickets when we first moved here. Since that I have obeyed the speed limit, and have not received a ticket.
Overall we are very happy living in RR! Hope this was helpful.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,570,019 times
Quote:
Better not drop the soap in the shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas