Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:41 PM

271 posts, read 302,561 times

Advertisements

Lately, I've been assessing the possibility of relocating.

Las Vegas, along with Southern California (Ventura County/Santa Clarita area) the final two locations that I am considering (along with just remaining here).

I currently live in the Kansas City area, and when I complete grad school next May at KU, I plan on exploring my options more in depth.

I've visited Las Vegas numerous times over the past 5 years. Ironically, I've never set foot outside of the Strip.

My question is this, what is the general culture/atmosphere of suburban neighborhoods in Summerlin/Henderson? Please mind you, I'm coming from a very suburban background, and grew up in a midwestern culture.

I only ask because I've seen references on this forum suggesting that Scottsdale is a better place to raise children, and not to expect block parties in the neighborhood etc. It kind of gives off a very unfriendly family atmosphere that I'm accustomed to here in KC.

Could anyone please elaborate? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 02:37 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,552 times
Like anywhere, neighborhoods vary. Come here, rent a car, and go visit some neighborhoods.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:59 PM

271 posts, read 302,561 times
Of course they will vary, I was interested in if members of this forum felt that their neighborhoods had a family friendly atmosphere.

I've read all the threads in the past 4 months, and while I've read about the advantages of a LLV, Cent Hills, Summerlin vs. Henderson etc. there is very little discussion of current residents and how much a community feel there is near their residences.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:25 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,319 times
I lived at Centennial Hills in a $100k-$130k rented townhouse in a gated community for 6 months. The neighbors were all nice, but there were a ton of renters. Perhaps due to the high occupant turn over and perhaps because I was also a renter there wasn't much neighborhood activity outside of hanging at the pool, even then there were so many people that I never got to know anyone.

I have some relatives that have rented in Coronado Ranch for 5 years, not gated and the houses range from 70k-120k. They don't know any neighbors, despite having a neighborhood park. This neighborhood is prime pickings for landlords, so there aren't many permanent residents.

The last six months I have lived in a gated Aliante master community where houses range from $230k-$350k. I purchased this home and there has been a ton of neighbor activity. This neighborhood has a very active Google group and there have been about a dozen mini get togethers/picnics (usually at one of the parks or the walkway that surrounds the neighborhood). There is a ton of activity here with the neighborhood watch, block captains, HOA meetings, etc. My girlfriend and I hit it off right away with the neighbors across the street and we have met almost everyone on our street.

Prior to Vegas I grew up in the suburbs of Salt Lake City (Sandy then Bountiful). The neighborhoods I lived in there were more friendly that Coronado Ranch and my rental at Centennial Hills, but less friendly that Aliante. I'm sure that this is completely different for every neighborhood, but the above has been my experience. If you like to organize things I get the feeling you could unify any neighborhood you moved to here.

Last edited by Danknee; 02-12-2011 at 03:42 PM..

Old 02-12-2011, 05:27 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
It is a way different life style than what I'm sure you're used to. The biggest complaint people have here is that they don't even know the next door neighbors. Studies have been done ad nauseam on it, but here it is in a nutshell. People still come here in the spirit of the pioneers ...they are looking for a new life ...they don't know anybody or what they will run into here. They leave behind old friends and neighbors, in neighborhoods where everyone knows everyone else, as they've all lived there in the same houses forever. Here everyone and everything is new. People are so transient they don't even stay in the same part of town for long so they don't get to know their neighbors well. There is so much sophisticated entertainment, and outstanding attractions within a few hours drive that small social events that other cities have where people get to know each other, aren't really that popular. Not that they don't happen ...they just have too much competition to be very successful. The people that move here are mostly rugged individualists anyway so they don't need anyone else to lean on. They live in little forts surrounded by block walls. But given a community crisis, they will come out of their fort and help fight off the marauders, then they go back inside and you hardly ever see them. People here don't spend a lot of time outside, and they drive everywhere they go. There are communities that are exceptions ...Desert Shores comes to mind where the sidewalks are Nike to Nike at times.

So if you want to live in a city that has more conveniences, more things to do, more places to venture out to away from town, than any other, without having all the nuisances like rain, snow, humidity, fleas or other creepy crawly things that bite and sting ...this is the place. Just realize it isn't the easiest place to create long term relationships. If you want a lot of close friends and relatives around you where you feel welcome enough to go to their house at any time without an invitation, and you don't mind bad weather, not having any mountains, not being close to some of the most beautiful scenery and exciting attractions on the planet, you'd be better off to stay in Kansas City.

That said, I know of very few people who haven't become addicted to this great city within six months to a year. Most people that try to leave will return within six months very discouraged with wherever they went and missing all that we have in Las Vegas. Let's face it ...even with all the complaints you might hear, there is no better place to live than Las Vegas, Nevada.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:36 PM

233 posts, read 497,946 times
Couldn't rep Buzz for some reason. Liked your answer I love it here and will be sad to leave when its time for us to be reassigned.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:01 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,288 times
To each his own here BUT when there is an event or a festival the community supports it and collectively participate to make it successful. I greet my neighbors and my family's neighbors but that is just about it.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
There are events here that get a lot of support. I didn't mean to sound so negative, The Greek Food Festival, The San Genaro Feast, which is twice a year now, Art in The Park in Boulder City, First Friday's downtown, the Henderson Arts and Crafts Fair, are a few of the biggest and best attended. Somewhere on Google I imagine are all of the events here. But don't expect your neighbors to invite you to go with them, and you probably won't run into many people you know when you go. Just the way it is. Best way to make friends here, other than at work, is go to church, or have children. Children make friends which rubs off on the parents.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:32 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
i've been here almost 2yrs... only know 2 neighbors.. it is VERY different from the midwest..

Old 02-14-2011, 05:36 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,288 times
The very transient nature of the city make Nevadans more stand off-ish. Half of the people in the city are renting while the other half are homeowners. People come and go and so very true here in Vegas. People come here thinking they can get a job in the service industry with very minimal educational and professional training while others leave because they get in way over their head with gambling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas