Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 06:23 PM

848 posts, read 1,728,185 times

Advertisements

The very transient nature of Clark County makes it hard to truly get to know neighbors. It is even harder to get to know people with nearly half the city as renters, people come and go moving from one place to the next. Homeowners are not any better, in one of my family's neighborhood where I have resided for almost 15 years, I've only spoken to one neighbor but I never really associate with them and as mentioned on one of the posts here, I don't even bother open the door or look if the someone rings the doorbell. I'm a resident here for 25 years and I'm just glad I have family members here, otherwise, I would have left a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 08:19 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,277,354 times
How can you complain about neighbors being unfriendly if you don't even make an attempt to speak with them? I dont hang out with my neighbors but I do occasionally chit-chat, say hi/bye etc.. With some neighbors it's obvious they don't want to be bothered & some I think even hate seeing me outside

Old 05-13-2011, 10:58 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,582,822 times
I've lived in both a nice part of Henderson and an OK part of Vegas at the moment. In both places I've had several neighbors introduce themselves to me. Most people don't realize that the majority of communication is non-verbal. If you walk around looking like someone who doesn't want to talk to anyone and run into your house nobody will probably want anything to do with you.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:50 PM

848 posts, read 1,728,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
How can you complain about neighbors being unfriendly if you don't even make an attempt to speak with them? I dont hang out with my neighbors but I do occasionally chit-chat, say hi/bye etc.. With some neighbors it's obvious they don't want to be bothered & some I think even hate seeing me outside
I've wasted time saying hi to neighbors when they are out on their properties but not really worth it. It's not my loss really, all my family are here so I don't need to get to know every single neighbor and socialize with any of them in the area besides not many last for a long time, they come and go. Once in a while the only neighbor I make the effort to talk to is the one across from my family's house, they've been in the neighborhood as long as my family.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:03 PM

687 posts, read 1,950,233 times
Neighbors can be a crap shoot anywhere you live. I've had my share of good and bad. I always take the initiative of introducing myself to the neighbors and let them know if they ever need a hand with anything let me know. If I see them out in their yard, I'll offer them a cold one. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. If after a couple of attempts at conversation, they don't react positively, I'll remain amiable but pretty much treat them in the same manner they treat me. LV is no different.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:15 PM

4 posts, read 4,459 times
Default Moving to Las Vegas

Hello. I am new to the forum. I am moving to Las Vegas this summer, I am military, and I definately want to live off base. I have to be within 20-25 minutes of the base and, of course, being from a small southern town, I am concerned about safety. I did come out for the weekend and drove around a litter but, it was quite overwhelming. I am leaning toward Aliante, what do you think? We enjoy outdoor activities and will definatley be having visitors. Thanks for your input! Mary

Old 05-15-2011, 03:46 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,295,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh49 View Post
Hello. I am new to the forum. I am moving to Las Vegas this summer, I am military, and I definately want to live off base. I have to be within 20-25 minutes of the base and, of course, being from a small southern town, I am concerned about safety. I did come out for the weekend and drove around a litter but, it was quite overwhelming. I am leaning toward Aliante, what do you think? We enjoy outdoor activities and will definatley be having visitors. Thanks for your input! Mary
Alliante and El Dorado are the obvious choices. You can go a little further into Centennial Hills and still be within range. There are also some nice older areas just south of the 215 between Decatur and Jones. And Los Prados...on Lone Mountain and Decatur has a large AF contingent.

That is about it. All is quite safe. If high school kids are involved stay to the western and northern end of that area. If not any where is quite safe.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:52 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,436,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh49 View Post
Hello. I am new to the forum. I am moving to Las Vegas this summer, I am military, and I definitely want to live off base. I have to be within 20-25 minutes of the base and, of course, being from a small southern town, I am concerned about safety. I did come out for the weekend and drove around a litter but, it was quite overwhelming. I am leaning toward Aliante, what do you think? We enjoy outdoor activities and will defiantly be having visitors. Thanks for your input! Mary
Aliante is probably a good choice for the base. Also west of Decatur to about Rancho or U.S. 95, and north of Craig Rd., especially the area around Los Prados. (We wish now with real estate the way it is we would have stayed there.)

Old 05-15-2011, 03:56 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,436,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Alliante and El Dorado are the obvious choices. You can go a little further into Centennial Hills and still be within range. There are also some nice older areas just south of the 215 between Decatur and Jones. And Los Prados...on Lone Mountain and Decatur has a large AF contingent.
That is about it. All is quite safe. If high school kids are involved stay to the western and northern end of that area. If not any where is quite safe.
Yeah, I had an F-15 pilot next door on Piñon, and other really nice neighbors there.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:00 AM

4 posts, read 4,459 times
thank you for the input, I am so ready for this new adventure....59 days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas