Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 05:27 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT View Post
Here is more grits for this topic mill (or somethin' like dat)

US Drought Monitor

It looks like California is doing good for now,this map is interactive you can click on a specific state.
Parts of the Southeast are currently in worse drought than Las Vegas according to this chart, some parts of Texas and Colorado as well. Interesting to say the least.

And that would be "grist for this topic mill" Ratt, lol.

Informative chart, thanks for finding it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 05:42 PM

119 posts, read 379,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Parts of the Southeast are currently in worse drought than Las Vegas according to this chart, some parts of Texas and Colorado as well. Interesting to say the least.

And that would be "grist for this topic mill" Ratt, lol.

Informative chart, thanks for finding it.
You're welcome dear,
let's hope this drought situation will end very soon,I'll be 40 this year and just can't stomach montreal winters anymore!
This next move i will make will be my last,i plan to make some deep roots in my next destination,witch i hope will be in the south west

Old 12-02-2010, 05:45 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Quote:
You're welcome dear,
let's hope this drought situation will end very soon,I'll be 40 this year and just can't stomach montreal winters anymore!
This next move i will make will be my last,i plan to make some deep roots in my next destination,witch i hope will be in the south west
Oh my, the cold winters of Montreal. Brrrrrrr!

I can't say I blame you for seeking the warmth and sunshine, all good wishes to you and I hope you succeed in relocating wherever you choose!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:23 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
The conditions that effect Las Vegas are not in Nevada they are in Colorado. And the problem with the Colorado is that there is not enough water in an average year. So we do not need a drought to have low flow in the river.

Same is mostly true of CA. The local rain is of little interst.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:49 PM

It seems that California as solve it's water problem,from a link to a article i red off a thread in the California section.It claimed that the state has received 200ft SO FAR this year in the snow pack( i don't know what that is)witch as had for effect to settle their 7yr drought". And that was before their latest torrential rains.
I haven't found anything about the Vegas situation lately.
My perception from way up here in the sh_thole of montreal is that Colorado as been received quite a bit of snow so far this year,did that help your situation in LV?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:55 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
It seems that California as solve it's water problem,from a link to a article i red off a thread in the California section.It claimed that the state has received 200ft SO FAR this year in the snow pack( i don't know what that is)witch as had for effect to settle their 7yr drought". And that was before their latest torrential rains.
My perception from way up here in the sh_thole of montreal is that Colorado as been received quite a bit of snow so far this year,did that help your situation in LV?
It would take about seven years of higher than normal snowfall on the west slope of the Rockies in Colorado to bring Lake Mead back to near normal levels.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:15 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
I haven't found anything about the Vegas situation lately. My perception from way up here in the sh_thole of montreal is that Colorado as been received quite a bit of snow so far this year,did that help your situation in LV?
The recent flooding of the Virgin River added about 1.5 feet to Lake Mead.

Flood a boon for Lake Mead - News - ReviewJournal.com

There's also info in that article about the Colorado snowpack:

New projections are in the works that will reflect the effect of the Virgin River flooding and the recent snowfall in the Rockies.

The latest snowpack estimates show well-above-average accumulations in several areas that feed the Colorado River. Just don't expect forecasters and water managers to start popping champaign anytime soon.

Several times over the past decade, the snow season has gotten off to a rousing start, only to fade in late winter and early spring, typically the best months for heavy, wet snowfall.

"We're glad to be ahead rather than behind at this point," J.C. Davis said.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
It depends entirely on WHICH part of Colorado got the snow....anything WEST of the Continental Divide flows west to the Green and the Colorado Rivers.

Anything on the EAST side of the Divide flow EAST to the Arkansas and the PLATTE and from there to the Mississippi

Old 01-06-2011, 04:02 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
It depends entirely on WHICH part of Colorado got the snow....anything WEST of the Continental Divide flows west to the Green and the Colorado Rivers.

Anything on the EAST side of the Divide flow EAST to the Arkansas and the PLATTE and from there to the Mississippi
Its been well above average on both sides this year, but the Western Slope is doing even better than the Eastern Slope.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:36 PM

MANOFBETESDA,thanks a bunch for that info

BUZZY & DYNIMAGELV:common lads there is really cause for some optimism here be a little more like Willy702!!!

BTW we are awaiting a sh_tload of snow for the week-end!!
allot of it start in Alberta than pick-up steam in Colorado than to end up here in north eastern Canada,followed by Sub-zero temperature.I think that will give Vegas more time to finish "the straws"project.
CHIN UP everybody!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas