Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:24 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,250,178 times

Advertisements

Find yourself a good mentor. And no, I'm not talking about Jack Daniels, either.

You will learn coping skills. And, if you break your contract, you can guarantee that you won't be able to come back to work here. The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. A year will fly.

Are your problems personal or classroom related? There are a lot of resources available for Autism teachers. You just have to know where to ask. My wife was in the same boat as you 12 years ago, getting pushed on a plane to come back here...when all she wanted to do was cut and run.

It was for the best! hang in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 07:24 AM

293 posts, read 642,321 times
CCSD is a hard place to get comfortable with and I was told that by many teachers when I was there. There is such a high turnover in new teachers because many used to come from the east and they thought how great Vegas wold be and then got there and saw that they could not make it. BOth my wife and I had trouble our 1st years, but it does get better. CCSD just does not look out for it's newbies that well, kind of like a rookie ball player gets treated by the vets. My good friend just entered his 5th year and dais it is totally different from his first couple and loves his job now. Most colleges do not prepare new teachers for how it is really going to be, just by what the books tell them it should be.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:22 AM

154 posts, read 357,848 times
Many of the issues with new teachers have to do with the nature of the job. No amount of college education can prepare someone for running any type of classroom, and participating on any campus. It is a lonely experience. Especially these days with NCLB and all the repetition of paperwork required. The paperwork is a whole other job in itself. Also, if one has an introverted personality, it is pretty much alien to what comes naturally to that person. Extroverts do well as teachers as it is full of interaction, people around all the time, noise, noise, noise. They are energized by by this. Introverts become depleted by it. Introverts are energized when they have time alone to "recharge". So, if one is an introvert (ie:me) he/she must find quiet time each day to regain the emotional and literally physical energy that is drained from the classroom experience. It can be done, but it is a perpetually alien environment. Fortunately, only 180 days out of the year. That is the upside. You have received some great advice here. Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:54 PM

47 posts, read 234,260 times
Default what happened?

OP..if you can shed more light on your experience..it'll be helpful for prospective special ed teachers

Old 10-15-2010, 10:20 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,495,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphybug1 View Post
I came to work here as a special Ed teacher in autism and I absolutely hate it and want to go back home! Is hard to get out of the contract in this distrct.
While I don't have any experience with CCSD, I have taught in NYC for 21 years. Your original post could be true for almost anyone involved in Special Ed. right now. Due to the fact that S.E. students usually require a higher expenditure per pupil than regular ed. many municipalities are trying to cut back on spending. Ironically, right now there is a shortage of special ed teachers.
The job you do is especially difficult and I give you a lot of credit for pursuing that specialty. As tough as it seems right now, with time you will master the quirks of CCSD (or any other locality) and be able to concentrate on your students. You might try and remember why you chose this path to begin with and use that to help you endure for the present.
No matter what, as previous posters have said, NEVER walk out on a teaching job during the year. It will follow you as a black mark on your record forever. Being reliable is one of the top requirements for a teaching position anywhere.
Talk to your colleagues, they probably have some good advice on survival skills!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas