Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,175 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I've been out of the country for three years, I'm back in Vegas for a few months now, and need to be able to drive for this project I'm working on.

Since I was gone for so long, my license is totally expired and I have to redo all the tests that I havn't done since I was 16. I passed the written test, and went to do my driving test today at the DMV on Sahara (big mistake.)

I had already tried standby once and had not gotten a spot, so I arrived at 4am, waited 4 hours, got the first spot, was tested at about 9am. I was tested by some blond woman who put a napkin on the seat before she sat down. I thought things went pretty well, since she didn't say much during the test, but when we got back to the DMV she had a laundry list of errors, most of which were about going 5 mph too fast or too slow. Needless to say I failed, and she said come back in one week.

Anyway, as I was walking out of the testing area, some guy in the parking lot said, "She failed ya, didn't she? ...yeah, she fails everyone. You should just head over to the DMV in Henderson right now, and you'll pass no problem. That's what I did."

Well, it's too late to wait in line at the Henderson DMV, but I really need to be able to drive within a few more days ( I am supposed to drive to California in 2 days time). So my question is, if I went to the Henderson office tomorrow, could I take the test again (not waiting the week she instructed me to), or would they know about the failed test at Sahara. I've already heard conflicting answers to this, so please, just tell me if you know for a fact.
Thanks for any help. -Erik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 12:46 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
I'm almost certain they would know about it at the Henderson location. They input that type of information into the computer and the DMV's all share information.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:46 PM

762 posts, read 1,562,309 times
this bull is bull. not like you don't know how to drive. I wish I could help. Good Luck

Old 10-05-2010, 03:47 AM

126 posts, read 269,287 times
I am in a similar scenario, currently stationed overseas in the military for past 3 years and underway for a year before that. I was licensed in CA prior to going overseas and spoke with CA DMV prior to shipping out to confirm that my license would still be good when I returned (in 2007 CA still had a 'grandfather clause' for military allowing them to use an expired license).

I originally looked into getting a Nevada license in May, but after researching on the NV DMV website, did not see any mention of a 'grandfather clause' for military, and was trying to avoid having to re-do the drive tests since 1) did not have my car back in the states yet and 2) have a motorcycle and car license and the motorcycle was registered in CA, so just getting a vehicle for the drive tests would be difficult at best.

Anyway, long story short, I ended up visiting CA to renew my license there (only had to re-do the written/eye tests), and will just take that to NV DMV to switch when I return at the end of the month. I also needed to renew my motorcycle registration and speak with DMV about the title I never received anyway, and CA DMV was quite helpful, so the trip was fairly productive.

Not sure which state you were licensed in before, but if you can renew it there, it might be easier than going through with the drive tests in NV (and then you can transfer to a NV license). A bit more expensive, but less hassle for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas