Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:41 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,247,316 times

Advertisements

Tonight I enjoyed dinner at Garfields lakefront in Desert Shores. I thought the food was very good, if a little overpriced.

Their Braised Short rib was wonderful with a sauce close to a Demi-glacé. I also sampled their Double Cut pork chop that was juicy and extremely flavorful.

The standout was their potato gratin which was awesome! It was flavored with just enough rosemary and onion with a crispy topping.

The ambiance next to the lake made for a memorable meal. A great change of pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,321,981 times
You're a food like me, if I remember correctly, and I was very disappointed. The atmosphere is very quaint but I did not think the food anything to write home about and it was priced high. I also recently ate in the same area at Village Pub and was extremely disappointed in that. I ordered fried shrimp and they were fake. Not round breaded and deep fried real shrimp but pounded flat little pieces of other seafood formed into triangular shapes. Tomorrow I am going with a friend to Grape Leaf, which I am really looking forward to and the other day I picked up take out marinara sauce from Buca and it was extremely reasonable and good. When I read someone write on here that they have lunch or dinner at Mickey D's, I just can't understand how someone would waste one eatting moment at a place like that when they are exposed to so many wonderful choices that can be reasonable.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:23 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,247,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
You're a food like me, if I remember correctly, and I was very disappointed. The atmosphere is very quaint but I did not think the food anything to write home about and it was priced high. I also recently ate in the same area at Village Pub and was extremely disappointed in that. I ordered fried shrimp and they were fake. Not round breaded and deep fried real shrimp but pounded flat little pieces of other seafood formed into triangular shapes. Tomorrow I am going with a friend to Grape Leaf, which I am really looking forward to and the other day I picked up take out marinara sauce from Buca and it was extremely reasonable and good. When I read someone write on here that they have lunch or dinner at Mickey D's, I just can't understand how someone would waste one eatting moment at a place like that when they are exposed to so many wonderful choices that can be reasonable.
Yeah, I agree that Garfield's could have been better, but also a whole lot worse. The bread service was abysmal, I forgot to mention that.

There is no excuse for bad bread service anymore.

I didn't flinch at the price because I had a $40 voucher from K-SHOP that I think I paid 10 bucks for.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:19 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,378,427 times
The location next to the lake is pretty good, but we were underwhelmed with Garfield's overall, especially when they placed someone next to us that was marinated in perfume. Marche Bacchus is much better I think. Marche Bacchus - French Bistro & Wine Market

JJ, are you sure you're not going to Grape STREET? Grape Street Cafe - Wine Bar & Cellar (http://www.grapestreetcafe.com/home.cfm - broken link)

That was our favorite Italian Restaurant, but they don't have Gina Linzi.
YouTube - 'Gina's Bistro' KVBC News 3 Interview

Grape Street dropped to 2nd after we found Gina's Bistro, but it's still my fave linguine and claims in Las Vegas. (Oliverio's in Bridgeport, WV, serves the world's best. Oliverio's Ristorante -- Locations in Morgantown and Bridgeport West Virginia)

Old 09-22-2010, 07:40 AM

You're right Buzz. I went to Grape Street. And I left not that favorably impressed. Great atmosphere but my bill for lunch; a few slices of dried out bread, pasta, no salad and a glass of wine was over $30. I would not by choice go back. Otoh, per your recommendation, I drove to Gina's one evening and left thinking I was not that impressed but in comparison, service, meal and price was much better. Unfortunately, I did not order the linguini with clam sauce in either place because I'm quite content with making it myself but I think it would have made a better choice than what I ordered.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:25 AM

762 posts, read 1,563,571 times
I was not at all impressed with grape street, the waiter said that the pasta I had was premade and frozen. It tasted like it.
I think it was the linguine with triple cream brie. he said it was the only thing on the menu like that. crazy

Old 09-22-2010, 09:49 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,136,984 times
Why would anyone eat at a restaurant named for a CAT with an atitude?????

Old 09-22-2010, 09:14 PM

Skisickie, that's exactly what I ordered; the linguine with triple cream brie and it was a big, dry glunk on my plate. I also sampled some of my companions ravioli and it was adequate and the other persons margerita pizza, which was decently good.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:49 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,378,427 times
If you are not satisfied with the food, most restaurants will bring you something else. Maybe you got there on a bad night, but I've never had a bad meal there. In fact I've never had anything but great meals there. The wine bar is pretty good too, although a little expensive. The problem with them from my viewpoint is that the linguine and clams is so good it's hard to order something else for a change unless I get there more often.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:58 AM

762 posts, read 1,563,571 times
Ok just to give the benefit of the doubt to Grape street I went last night and ordered the clam linguine
It was good. but so overpriced.
Just not feelin this place and I still have another $25.00 gift certificate.
They were out of the jumbo cheese ravioli (substituing the ravioli with tortillini) husband ordered the tortillini. They charged us 5.00 for the substitution. ROTFLMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas