Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:28 PM

6 posts, read 35,126 times

Advertisements

Hi. Can you all share some good points and bad points about Desert Shores. I am considering buying a condo there. It seems nice but I don't know the area. Is it safe? Are the condo complexes all rentals and forclosures, etc. Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 12:36 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,389,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santobros View Post
Hi. Can you all share some good points and bad points about Desert Shores. I am considering buying a condo there. It seems nice but I don't know the area. Is it safe? Are the condo complexes all rentals and foreclosures, etc. Thank you in advance
I don't know about the condos, but Desert Shores is one of the nicest communities in town. It has always been a beautiful area and will probably stay that way because of the HOA, etc. It is as safe as any place can be these days. You see people out walking and jogging all the time which is a sign it is pretty safe. Early in the morning it is Adidas to Adidas. My wife and I have been wishing for years that we had bought on the lake a long time ago. There seems to be a very large Jewish community there if that means anything.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:15 PM

6 posts, read 35,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I don't know about the condos, but Desert Shores is one of the nicest communities in town. It has always been a beautiful area and will probably stay that way because of the HOA, etc. It is as safe as any place can be these days. You see people out walking and jogging all the time which is a sign it is pretty safe. Early in the morning it is Adidas to Adidas. My wife and I have been wishing for years that we had bought on the lake a long time ago. There seems to be a very large Jewish community there if that means anything.

Thank you Buzz I appreciate the info.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:50 PM

269 posts, read 977,726 times
Do you mean this complex? Broadstone at Desert Shores

If you do, I firmly suggest you visit them first. Not to be blunt but the place is a dump. I looked last year and I ran away fast. Grounds are not taken care of, no water in the pool, people just "hanging around" the complex. It is an old apartment complex that was converted at the wrong time late in the bubble. 80 foreclosures just last year. I believe mostly these are owned by investors who rent them to anyone with a pulse. YMMV.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:09 PM

4 posts, read 15,562 times
Default Moving Van make it thru gate in Pelican Point?

Moving into Pelican Point neighborhood of Desrt Shores and moving company asked me a question if whether 100 foot van can get thru gate and negotiate turn in Pelican Point -- anyone know if it can?

Old 02-03-2009, 04:27 PM

289 posts, read 1,040,597 times
Depends on the area within Desert Shores. The apartment complex at Cheyenne and Soaring Gulls has police helicopters circling overhead at least once a week if not more. Feels like I live in south-central Los Angeles.

But overall it's a nice neighborhood and I love taking walks by the lakes. Just understand that it's quite a divide between the million dollar homes and the low-income renters living on the periphery.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:50 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,242,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltanhaji View Post
Moving into Pelican Point neighborhood of Desrt Shores and moving company asked me a question if whether 100 foot van can get thru gate and negotiate turn in Pelican Point -- anyone know if it can?
I would believe those are all standard streets. Give me a cross street set or an address and I will tell you for sure. I don't think the official name of the development is Pelican Point though I remember it. Note that gate names and official names are often different.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude66 View Post
Depends on the area within Desert Shores. The apartment complex at Cheyenne and Soaring Gulls has police helicopters circling overhead at least once a week if not more. Feels like I live in south-central Los Angeles.
That's Broadstone at Desert Shores.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:27 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,242,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtigers View Post
That's Broadstone at Desert Shores.
Interesting place that.. Identified as "The Villas at Desert Shores". And it is in Desert Shores with the perks that produces.

It is the text book example of the condo conversion gone berserk. The similar conversion diagonally across that area work quite nicely.

I think the crime has dropped off vastly from where it was two years ago.

But it still must be one of the most interesting condo plays in Vegas. The site itself is vastly superior to virtually all others of similar price. There are now investors buying multiples.

Does it crash? Can the HOA survive? I have considered buying one just to find out.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Does it crash? Can the HOA survive? I have considered buying one just to find out.
It's a 20-30K bet as of now...but I wouldn't want to live there. As an straight investment it might be great....given time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas