Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:42 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,571,323 times

Advertisements

So its been about a month and a half here, and I want to post some observations I have made about LAs Vegas, big and small good and bad

Even though its dry, the heat is worse then I thought

The traffic is not so bad off the strip

The residents are fairly pleasant for the most part

The job market really IS as bad as they say

Most prices are pretty affordable

The sprawl makes my car DRINK gas

You DO NOT have to be 21 to have the time of your life here

The LVAC rocks

The drivers here are TERRIBLE, I almost got into 3 different accidents today

I have learned that Glen Learner is the way to go

I love the views of the city at night

The strip looks so ghetto during the day

Big O Tires is a rip off

So much recreation within an hours drive

The laid back attitude most residents seem to have

Gas stations with names like Terrible's, Fabulous Freddy's, Funny's, Grumpy's, Rebel, and Sinclair (the last reminds me of the 90s tv show Dinosaurs)

The wide variety of radio stations

The way they mountains can look totally different, or even morph depending on where you are viewing them from is mind boggling to me

The way the strip and the suburbs are like two totally different worlds

The beautifully maintained parks

It seems most of the western side of the valley is less than 15 yrs old

Most of the eastern areas of the valley are the EXACT opposite

Smith's is the best store out here

So many residents I meet question why I would want to move "here of all places" as if I made a bad choice

I cant think of any more but I thought I would share them with you guys

Oh wait... one more

All the folks on the LV forum here who have been kind and helped me soo much since I first posted here back in November
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 01:57 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
Well the heat will not last too much longer. Get through August and it's smooth sailing into fall. That's my fav time of year, especially closer to winter.

I also agree about The Strip during the daytime. It only looks good at night!

Old 07-16-2010, 02:09 AM

As far as the heat Pinky, its 1:09 am and its STILL 100 degrees

I thought 10 years of heat and humidity in Orlando would have prepared me for this. And the heat there lasts from April to October, longer then here

Old 07-16-2010, 02:11 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
That's normal for right now. We are under high pressure. It happens.
In about 2 years, you won't notice it as much. And also, do what we locals do: Stay inside with a/c as much as possible. Shop in the evening. Don't end up like I did today, with a burned arm as I accidentally bumped up against the car putting groceries away.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
That's normal for right now. We are under high pressure. It happens.
In about 2 years, you won't notice it as much. And also, do what we locals do: Stay inside with a/c as much as possible. Shop in the evening. Don't end up like I did today, with a burned arm as I accidentally bumped up against the car putting groceries away.
The Smiths on Ann and Decatur has their Glacier water machine outside in the sun. I stopped by there today to fill my jug and the water was so hot, I nearly burnt my hand on the handle, stuck it in the fridge for about 5 hours, the water was room temperature

I burnt my arm today on my rent a car's black leather interior (no tinted windows ) shortly there afterwards

I also found myself craving something caffeinated, I bought a Diet Pepsi, that dehydrated me pretty good. As much a I try to cut caffeine and sugar, soda is a lose lose situation. Im trying to watch my sugar intake, but at the same time aspartame is so bad for you, and the caffeine dehydrates you. Caffeine free diet soda is no good either, it still has aspartame. I think if Im craving something sugary, I will stick with Vitamin Water, or juice of some kind

Another observation

It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to stay hydrated here

The tap water is DISGUSTING even when it is cold, its like pool water

Old 07-16-2010, 02:35 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I also found myself craving something caffeinated, I bought a Diet Pepsi, that dehydrated me pretty good. As much a I try to cut caffeine and sugar, soda is a lose lose situation. Im trying to watch my sugar intake, but at the same time aspartame is so bad for you, and the caffeine dehydrates you. Caffeine free diet soda is no good either, it still has aspartame.
You are my friend and all, but I totally am going to have to give up on helping you. If anything, I told you NEVER to drink any diet sodas many months back as they are poison, much worse than alcohol or even smoking cigarettes. If you want brain cancer and migraine headaches, keep drinking them. I am working on Aqualung on this now too, but NEVER, EVER, DRINK ANYTHING WITH ASPARTAME.

The Not-So-Sweet Truth About Aspartame - AOL Health

Old 07-16-2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You are my friend and all, but I totally am going to have to give up on helping you. If anything, I told you NEVER to drink any diet sodas many months back as they are poison, much worse than alcohol or even smoking cigarettes. If you want brain cancer and migraine headaches, keep drinking them. I am working on Aqualung on this now too, but NEVER, EVER, DRINK ANYTHING WITH ASPARTAME.

The Not-So-Sweet Truth About Aspartame - AOL Health
I hadnt had a diet soda in a really long time LVD. I just needed some caffeine because I was feeling sluggish at work. Already had too much sugar today. And you KNOW i hate coffee

Old 07-16-2010, 02:44 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I hadnt had a diet soda in a really long time LVD. I just needed some caffeine because I was feeling sluggish at work. Already had too much sugar today. And you KNOW i hate coffee
Just remember what I said, a sugared soda is much better than any diet soda, that is all. If you insist on a diet soda, at least drink something with Splenda, but avoid aspartame at all costs.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Just remember what I said, a sugared soda is much better than any diet soda, that is all. If you insist on a diet soda, at least drink something with Splenda, but avoid aspartame at all costs.
I have been unable to find any soda with splenda

Another observation....

The selection of soda is not that great

Old 07-16-2010, 04:25 AM

515 posts, read 1,179,925 times
That aolhealth article is even less conclusive than the NYT article posted in the real-estate thread about the rich doing more strategic defaults than the hoi polloi.

That said, you can often find splenda in the 'generic' diet sodas - for some reason that I don't know, splenda/sucralose hasn't had much uptake by the big name-brands, but store brands and other diet sodas like 'waist-watchers' with ugly labels frequently use it.

Also, Sobe makes a competitor to vitamin water, they call it "LifeWater" and some flavors are caffeinated (the ones with green and purple caps) and the zero-calorie versions are sweetened with stevia which is a 'natural' sweetener. (not that it means all that much, cyanide is also 'natural' and occurs in apples, cherries, peaches and apricots but it ain't all that good for you either).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas