Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 01:18 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,842,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
over the last 3 weeks my wife has been training new employees at the rate of 5 per week at a pay scale of $10.50 per hour to start, for an INBOUND call center.

These people we all interviewed and hired.....NOT that they were the best applicants....they were the ONLY applicants....
Are you listening Davie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 02:19 PM

369 posts, read 1,096,634 times
Joe, is this really the case? because we up here in Northern Nevada feel like if you are a 10 here, you are a 5 in Vegas... Not that I think I am a 10 anywhere, but the point being is what is attractive to some people is not to others. and I used to think that solves the job issue for service industry, but I'm no spring chicken anymore and at the age of 29 I feel like trying to get a job there would not be so easy like if I was 22. Plus, I am missing the fake boobs and such.... I just got a job here as a table games dealer and I'm learning... but I figure even if I got some experience under my belt, everything there needs A LOT of experience. Some say 2 years... and that even goes for cocktail waitressing?? I try to remain optimistic, but is that just shooting myself in the foot I wonder...

Old 07-07-2010, 03:00 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,286,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
I was asking because of the way things are now why would a person move from a stable or semi stable environment to one that is uncertain.
IN regards to us moving here we moved here 6 yrs ago when the job market was hot and the real-estate market was hot and unemployment was 4 % the news paper had pages and pages of jobs of every kind, employers were begging for workers.
Economic times have changed in the US and no matter where a person moves too they better do their home work because the personal financial consequences are much higher if they don't. Life isn't like the good old days when you could pack up and leave and on a wish and a prayer hope things would turn out.
Don't get me wrong we love Vegas with all the things to do here and the weather. But people have to more careful in their life choices more than ever.
I thought you just moved here within the last year. What you said here makes more sense.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I am always confused by these posts....I KNOW the un-employment rate is high here...I know that there are NO jobs here...I know all this stuff...over the last 3 weeks my wife has been training new employees at the rate of 5 per week at a pay scale of $10.50 per hour to start, for an INBOUND call center.

These people we all interviewed and hired.....NOT that they were the best applicants....they were the ONLY applicants....
I can believe that as those are terrible jobs. We used to have an in bound call center that was customer service, not sales. I had made friends with the managers so I know all about it. The job is very high stress with a very high turnover. Sitting in a large room on the phone all day dealing with customer complaints is not something most people want to do.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
Are you listening Davie?
Only if he took it as a second job and did not quit Vons.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:11 PM

422 posts, read 1,086,386 times
Quote:
I am always confused by these posts....I KNOW the un-employment rate is high here...I know that there are NO jobs here...I know all this stuff...over the last 3 weeks my wife has been training new employees at the rate of 5 per week at a pay scale of $10.50 per hour to start, for an INBOUND call center.

Hard to believe. Something ain't white in the milk! You'd think there'd be lines of applicants. Something's here that's of no interest to the desperate?

Old 07-07-2010, 06:28 PM

88 posts, read 357,532 times
Quote:

My wife has experience in a inbound call center, are they still hiring? We are looking for a job for her, since my job transfer to Las Vegas has become official. Please PM me.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:26 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,576,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post
Joe, is this really the case? because we up here in Northern Nevada feel like if you are a 10 here, you are a 5 in Vegas... Not that I think I am a 10 anywhere, but the point being is what is attractive to some people is not to others. and I used to think that solves the job issue for service industry, but I'm no spring chicken anymore and at the age of 29 I feel like trying to get a job there would not be so easy like if I was 22. Plus, I am missing the fake boobs and such.... I just got a job here as a table games dealer and I'm learning... but I figure even if I got some experience under my belt, everything there needs A LOT of experience. Some say 2 years... and that even goes for cocktail waitressing?? I try to remain optimistic, but is that just shooting myself in the foot I wonder...

Time for gigantic fake boobs?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:01 PM

98 posts, read 186,276 times
That's good to know thanks for sharing this Willy702 I have a strong clerical background which I'm hoping will help me. I worked for a well known investment bank in New York City for 7 yrs. I just finished getting copies of my resume printed today and will be aggressively seeking work when I get down there starting next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
$10-12 is the going rate for a receptionist pretty much everywhere except the highest cost areas. Thing is almost every office will pay up the nose for one that works out well and is actually reliable. You start low but once they are comfortable you will look and act professional and show up on time each day they will get you to $18-20 pretty quickly because they will be afraid you'll go somewhere else.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:20 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,161,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I can believe that as those are terrible jobs. We used to have an in bound call center that was customer service, not sales. I had made friends with the managers so I know all about it. The job is very high stress with a very high turnover. Sitting in a large room on the phone all day dealing with customer complaints is not something most people want to do.
Sorry.....the only turnover has been those "turned over" for gross stupidity ...such as "too drunk to come to work".....

you obviously don't know ALL about it.....

and b.t.w. I did misspeak it starts @ $10.00
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas