Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:06 PM

6 posts, read 25,053 times

Advertisements

I've just accepted a position in Las Cruces and I'm coming from Huntsville, AL. I'm 23 years old and looking for a condo to rent. The nicest two a Realtor has shown me are in Sonoma Ranch and Mesilla. Are these two communities nice areas to live? Are they predominately occupied by retirees?
Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 04:55 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,915 times
A lot of retirees to be sure you won't find a big singles population but there will be enough young people to mix it up. I live in a townhouse and my neighborhood is pretty much evenly mixed between retirees and working professionals. I wouldn't hesitate to pick Mesilla much more character IMO than Sonoma. Are they the ones that used to be a convent on Conway I think?

Old 04-29-2010, 09:30 PM

Thanks for your input! What are other good areas to consider living in in Las Cruces?

Old 04-30-2010, 05:48 AM
TKO

There aren't really a lot of bad places. I probably wouldn't live in Mesquite St, Chiva town or too close to the university. Other than that it's all pretty nice - some older some newer. You said you wanted a condo, are you averse to a yard? There's not a huge selection of condos fact the ones on Sonoma were apartments until the market got soft and they converted them. Those ones in Mesilla Park are really the nicest ones.

I lived in Mesilla itself for a long time and really miss it. My old house was built in 1867, 100 years before I was born. I got involved in politics there a little sitting on a few boards and love that I could walk to restaurants and bars. THere are a lot of rentals there but it's hard and expensive to buy something (why I moved).

Old 04-30-2010, 09:13 AM

The place I was looking at was in Villa Esperanza. Is this area in a convenient location?

Old 04-30-2010, 09:40 AM
TKO

YEah it is. Restaurants, shops walmart gas stations interstate, etc all very close. No yard.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:22 AM

10 posts, read 23,322 times
There are some places off Road Runner that are pretty slick looking. Corner of Road Runner & Sonoma Ranch...unsure of the name of joint.

Roadrunner is closer to the "city life" of Cruces because of Lohman. Also, there are young hot chicks in that area that attend the university.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:56 PM

What about the Pavilions at University on S. Triviz? Any thoughts?

Old 05-04-2010, 08:38 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,179,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickstickford View Post
The place I was looking at was in Villa Esperanza. Is this area in a convenient location?
The Esperanza places are new, good looking, and a short walk or drive from Mesilla itself. (Located on Ave de Mesilla, technically in LC, for those who don't know) You'll probably find Mesilla a decent place to hang out..good restaurants, two bars, Palacio (NM biker-ish but local) and El Patio (jazz to hip hop, youngish crowd) that have music and a very age mixed population. Very different than Sonoma Ranch.
SR is new suburban sprawl, Mesilla is the real deal, ramped up a bit (a good thing I think) because of tourism to the historic town.
Good luck and welcome.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:58 AM

10 posts, read 23,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickstickford View Post
What about the Pavilions at University on S. Triviz? Any thoughts?
GOD no. Run from the Pavilions. Everyone I've ever known to live there had a bad experience. They charge you out the ass, and you'll never get your cleaning deposit back + probably have charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces