Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 02:30 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,508,029 times

Advertisements

Dollywood is such a local treasure. They have announced their 2009 shows:

GoTricities.com > New shows set stage for Dollywood’s ’09 season (http://www.gotricities.com/content/article.dna?idNumber=6321 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 03:24 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
I've been there. Lauren had a very disappointing birthday, so I bought season tickets for BOTH parks for all of us. (I am going to find a big girl bathing suit and float around the park in one of them inner tubes. People can laugh all they want.)

She has had such a rough time, that I let her skip school on opening day. It was fabulous! We have since been back a few times, already. We just love that park.

We saw Imagine. We had terrible seats but it was very nice.

We were looking forward to seeing Dolly in the parade. For those that don't know, Dolly Parton is my hero. I use to be a country music critic and I have met Kris Kristofferson, Tammy Wynette. Roy Clark, etc. That didn't seem like a big deal, but the thought of meeting Dolly brought tears to my eyes.

Well, she was at the park, but only met with the media. One of her security guards said that if there is even the possibility of rain she won't do the parade. I imagine it has to do with that hair in makeup.

Even still, I am sure we will see Dolly at some point. She is suppose to come back this year.

I'm so glad that you posted this, SMG. Sometimes I think people grow bored with my ramblings so I didn't want to mention the fun we've had at Dollywood and how it has brightened up a sad, little girl's heart.

Heck, here's some pics.

This is a horrible pic of Imagine. Like I said, the seats were awful, but the lines to get in were long. We saw the show late on a Sunday.

[IMG][/IMG]

The Grist Mill:

[IMG][/IMG]

I might know this guy.

[IMG][/IMG]

Even with the crowds, it's easy to find a peaceful spot. The park is set up with interesting twists. The landscaping is beautiful.

Dolly wrote the song Sha-Kon-O-Hey in tribute to The Great Smoky Mountains National Park's 75th anniversary. It means land of the blue smoke. She will debut it in May.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:34 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,508,029 times
Great post Hik! We have our season passes bought and are going tomorrow afternoon (we were going today but it is a little too damp for me with my lungs). It is such a clean and family oriented park; I love it. We get one gold pass and the rest regular so we get the discounts and free parking. I have been a Dolly fan all my life. Through my husbands work I will be meeting her soon in person, I cannot wait. She is such a wonderful person and friend to this area. I also like the fact that the workers at the park are always so friendly. You just can't get that kind of hospitality at some of the attractions.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:18 PM

We have TWO gold passes, just in case one can go and not the other. It was only $30 more and it will pay for itself.

It is exactly one hour to the park from my house but it doesn't seem like it. If anyone lives in this area, I strongly urge you to get season passes. We take our time there, especially since I can't walk that fast anymore, and see a little at a time. In the Christmas season this lights are spectacular.

The food is very good. It is expensive, but with the 20 percent off you get with the gold card, it isn't as bad.

We tried Aunt Granny's this year and have now gone twice! I don't like the local food because I go to the wrong places (think Shoney's) but this is fabulous home cooking. Now I know what people are talking about when they say they love the local food! I had some homemade tomato soup that was out of this world.

Backstage Restaurant is also very good. Everything is homemade, including the potato chips.

It is all so surprisingly good, compared to most theme parks. I lived in Florida and I am burnt out on Universal and Disney. Dollywood is nothing like those parks and I feel that this is a good thing.

I am so jealous that you will get to meet Dolly! My best friend has worked at Dollywood and was able to meet her. We are planning on applying for part-time jobs next year. I love waiting on people in that kind of atmosphere!

I have to say that the people working in the park are actually NICER than the previous years that we have been there!

The regulars on this forum know that it is a big mistake to bring up Dolly. I keep going and going and going....SMG was very brave.

So I'll stop with one more picture. This quilt is in The Backstage Restaurant. Dolly made it and gave it to Bob Hope because of his help with her eagle foundation.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-10-2009, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,288 times
I love this post because it actually has decent-sized pictures of Dollywood! I found a site someone did where they went into detail on all the Moderator cut: snip along with pictures of the shows too. I can't wait to see Sha-Kon-Oh-Hey! Has anyone seen it yet?! I love the fact that Dollywood always adds new stuff every year. Ever since it became Dollywood, its added things year after year. It should be interesting to see successful the SkyZip is this season. Dollywood is one of the places that every time I go, I have certain traditions I have to do. Like going to the Grist Mill (in the pictures above!) and getting some of Dollywood's famous cinnamon bread! I usually end up having breakfast at Aunt Granny's, too. Of course, I have to ride the Dollywood Express when I go. I gotta see James Rogers, gotta ride The Slidewinder, Thunderhead, River Rampage, gotta see Country Crossroads... There's a list that goes on and on. I used to put a little more precedence on the rides as a kid, and now that I am older, I still love the rides, but the shows are just as important - or maybe a little more. I was just up there with my nephews two years ago and they had a blast. And last Fall 2008, I took my then-fiance, now-wife up. She can't wait to go back! We were throwing around the idea of driving up for a short trip - like 3 or 4 days. Only problem is its a 14 hour drive from south Florida!

Last edited by Beretta; 08-11-2009 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: no linking to blogs

Old 08-11-2009, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveDollywood View Post
I love this post because it actually has decent-sized pictures of Dollywood! I found a site someone did where they went into detail on all the Moderator cut: snip shows at Dollywood[/url] along with pictures of the shows too. I can't wait to see Sha-Kon-Oh-Hey! Has anyone seen it yet?! I love the fact that Dollywood always adds new stuff every year. Ever since it became Dollywood, its added things year after year. It should be interesting to see successful the SkyZip is this season. Dollywood is one of the places that every time I go, I have certain traditions I have to do. Like going to the Grist Mill (in the pictures above!) and getting some of Dollywood's famous cinnamon bread! I usually end up having breakfast at Aunt Granny's, too. Of course, I have to ride the Dollywood Express when I go. I gotta see James Rogers, gotta ride The Slidewinder, Thunderhead, River Rampage, gotta see Country Crossroads... There's a list that goes on and on. I used to put a little more precedence on the rides as a kid, and now that I am older, I still love the rides, but the shows are just as important - or maybe a little more. I was just up there with my nephews two years ago and they had a blast. And last Fall 2008, I took my then-fiance, now-wife up. She can't wait to go back! We were throwing around the idea of driving up for a short trip - like 3 or 4 days. Only problem is its a 14 hour drive from south Florida!
Thank you! We haven't seen Sha-Kon-Oh-Hey. Can't wait to, though. Who's James Rogers?

We're originally from swFlorida. We've been here four years.

Last edited by Beretta; 08-11-2009 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville